Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unhappy welcome to 1K status

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2019, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Unhappy welcome to 1K status

I'm not sure what to think. I was excited to make 1k for the first time last week. Everything until then has been fine with United. Since then, I've booked 3 separate flights in the past 7 days on United.com. Every one of them has not ticketed but given me an ERROR message screen with a phone number and reference number to call. I call and have to sit on the phone with an agent for 10 minutes while they do...something (I don't actually know what)... to get it ticketed. Today I called the 1K customer service line and was routed to the general line and he couldn't help me. He routed me to 1k but instead I was routed to International booking. She routed me to 1k and the nice lady was going to transfer me to web support... the call was disconnected on their side.

I'm at a loss. I thought it would be great. My experience has been anything but positive. It shouldn't be this difficult to spend more money with an airline.

One woman did tell me it looked like my billing address was missing but I specifically selected my address from the drop-down menu on the payment screen.

Anyone else dealing with this? Anyone have any suggestions what I should do... other than change airlines to one that doesn't make me waste time on the phone every week? (To be fair, I do not want to change airlines...I also will not continue this unnecessary shenanigans every time I book a flight).
Old Nov 18, 2019, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I just booked a ticket on the web 30 minutes ago with no issue.

Clear your cookies. Try different browsers. Something isn't in sync
Mulatto likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I just booked a ticket on the web 30 minutes ago with no issue.

Clear your cookies. Try different browsers. Something isn't in sync

Good idea and I just did that. Not going to help my phone call re-routing issues but if I can simply book online I won't have to call them for anything. We'll see.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 8:32 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Mulatto
Good idea and I just did that. Not going to help my phone call re-routing issues but if I can simply book online I won't have to call them for anything. We'll see.
Does the UA website have the number in your profile that you used to call them? If it’s loaded (by you) then it should verbally recognize you when you call.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 8:36 pm

Programs: EK PLAT 2022-2023, UAplat soon to be LH senator!
Mulatto,
i have on occasion had issues with UA ticketing it once i made the reservation off the app, 3x iirc....i was told by a 1k res agent that shares sometimes acts up and will take longer than usual to ticket, the one time i did call she had to call the "help desk" to get it to push thru to a actual eticket, normally have corporate travel book it but it has happened to me as well, more times than not i've had no real issues.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 10:38 pm

When in doubt, incognito.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Got access to the app? Nowadays the only time I use the website is when I want to apply a GPU.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 5:57 am
Original Poster

I haven’t done incognito because I have to sign in to have it easily link with my Concur account (which it has always done flawlessly).

We’ll see if the clear browser works. I will test the app as well.

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Does the UA website have the number in your profile that you used to call them? If it’s loaded (by you) then it should verbally recognize you when you call.
Yes. The system said my name like it always does when I called in as well.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 19, 2019 at 6:55 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Nov 19, 2019, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by Mulatto
Yes. The system said my name like it always does when I called in as well.

Sounds like you had a bad experience, but give it another shot. Maybe something to do with the system that day. the 1K desk has been a great benefit. Maybe I've been lucky but they've always picked up my call within 30 seconds and almost always within 5 seconds and the service generally has been excellent.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 6:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bmw303
Sounds like you had a bad experience, but give it another shot. Maybe something to do with the system that day. the 1K desk has been a great benefit. Maybe I've been lucky but they've always picked up my call within 30 seconds and almost always within 5 seconds and the service generally has been excellent.
I hope that’s all it is. Time will tell. I won’t have to book anything for a couple of weeks so I won’t have an immediate answer.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 6:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Trying here to figure out how IT errors have anything to do with 1K status or a welcome? So everything went just fine doing the requisite amount of flying all year to earn 1K and magically you get to be exempt from IT issues once you reach that level? Sounds like they were trying to help. You just had bad luck.
ajGoes and A Little Cow like this.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 6:56 am

Programs: UA 1K
Same thing happened to me; the billing address on the credit card wasn't correct and the reservations were hanging in limbo. Check if your CC has been charged, mine wasn't.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 7:23 am

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Maybe ask the agent what the issue was to help remediate going forward.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by gmt4
Trying here to figure out how IT errors have anything to do with 1K status or a welcome? So everything went just fine doing the requisite amount of flying all year to earn 1K and magically you get to be exempt from IT issues once you reach that level? Sounds like they were trying to help. You just had bad luck.
Indeed. Quite the stretch there trying to collate the two issues!
Old Nov 19, 2019, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gmt4
It's likely not related.
My travel weary and frustrated post was born out of pure frustration from the 3 botched bookings and I was just on the phone for 30 minutes (over multiple calls yesterday into United) and had my call disconnected with no solution to my booking issues. I was/am happy to hit 1K but that happiness has been interrupted by technical issues from the very next day. That is what I was trying to convey about an unhappy welcome, not that someone intentionally did anything. I see what you mean though, I could've worded it differently for clarity. Human error.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.