Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Are there any options besides buying/transfer miles when only 110 short?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2019, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

I am trying to book a reward ticket and am 110 Skymiles short. Is there any flexibilty with this? I don't want to spend $70 for 2000 miles.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 8:31 pm

Programs: DL DM
In sort, no (if you need to do this right now) Unless you have an Amex card that can "advance" you the miles
bullrush likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 8:40 pm

Programs: DL DM
Do some skymiles shopping, https://www.skymilesshopping.com/ . With high earning rate stores, you can easily get 110 miles by spending $10-55 (or subscribe to Economists and get 1200 miles). The miles usually post in several days.
bullrush likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
In sort, no (if you need to do this right now) Unless you have an Amex card that can "advance" you the miles
I indeed have a Platinum Amex and it looks like I have this feature. Thank you very much.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 11:22 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
The AmEx advance is instant and painless for those 'just short' kind of scenarios when you know you'll cover the advance with spend long before the deadline.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by hjz131
Do some skymiles shopping, https://www.skymilesshopping.com/ . With high earning rate stores, you can easily get 110 miles by spending $10-55 (or subscribe to Economists and get 1200 miles). The miles usually post in several days.
In several days, award availability and prices in miles can be very different.
hjz131 likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 5:47 am

Transfer 1,000 miles from a family member/friend for $10 plus $30 fee. $40 is cheaper than $70.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 9:59 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by bullrush
I am trying to book a reward ticket and am 110 Skymiles short. Is there any flexibilty with this? I don't want to spend $70 for 2000 miles.
Another possibility would be to enroll in the Skymiles dining program (free), register a credit card (any card) and eat in a participating restaurant on a day when miles are being offered.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 10:29 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
or as mentioned in another recent similar thread, SkyMiles earned from Lyft rides post pretty much instantaneously. But the AMEX advance is probably the best option, if available, vs. manufacturing them through other means (unless you were "organically" going to do the other activity anyway)
Old Nov 18, 2019, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Do you have the AMEX Platinum or the DL AMEX Platinum?

If the former you can just transfer 1000 miles (minimum amount) directly from AMEX to DL. It's instant and you'll just get hit with the excise tax which should be 60 cents for a 1000 mile transfer.

Unless your balance is completely zeroed out from recent transfers, you should have at least 1000 in there and can avoid the points advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.