737 MAX

Old Nov 17, 2019, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
737 MAX

Broward country mayor wants to ban 737 MAX from FLL once it is certified to fly again.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Broward country mayor wants to ban 737 MAX from FLL once it is certified to fly again.
This has to be among the stranger things I have seen in some time.

The Mayor has decided he is smarter than Boeing, FAA, Pilots Union, various countries, etc. He is also sending a letter demanding certain information from Boeing as well.

Another example of too much chlorine in the gene pool.

Here is a link: https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/...564943092.html
lougord99, dlaue, downinit and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 1:49 pm

LOL let us know how that works out for him.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Worst years of my life were the two years I lived in Broward County.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA, Amex
Is he trying to make himself look like a hero that he's taking a "hard line stance" against this? Because he's making himself look like a fool.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 4:51 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Maybe he can get after the norovirus on the cruise ships that come into port there while he's at it.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by birdiedouble
Maybe he can get after the norovirus on the cruise ships that come into port there while he's at it.
Yea... he should ban those as well.

What a moron!

(pretty sure I have never used a word that bad on this forum)
Old Nov 17, 2019, 5:59 pm

It's worth noting that the "Mayor" is largely a ceremonial position in Broward County. It's a position voted on solely by the members of the Broward Commissioners. (The Commissioners are the people that are elected by the voters.)

I'm fairly certain the "Mayor" doesn't have the authority to make that decision on his own. He'd need the backing of other members of the Broward Commissioners. Hopefully, the majority of the Commissioners will recognize the fact that this action would be subject to lawsuits from the airlines (once the aircraft is officially re-certified).
Old Nov 17, 2019, 7:54 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
The Mayor has decided he is smarter than Boeing, FAA, Pilots Union, various countries, etc.
By default and collectively, he may very well be smarter than Boeing and FFA.
Boraxo and jmw like this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 6:29 am

Programs: Southwest Airlines, Marriot
Thats great- bring more to PBI !
Old Nov 18, 2019, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Blitzjb
Thats great- bring more to PBI !
That's stupid idea! There is no banned 737-MAX in FLL. Airlines has it right to bring 737-MAX8/9 into FLL. He has no authority from FAA or Boeing.

Vote him out! Now!
Old Nov 19, 2019, 7:57 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Broward country mayor Florida Man wants to ban 737 MAX from FLL once it is certified to fly again.
Fixed that for you.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
It's well established that state and local governments are generally prohibited from regulating aircraft operations in the US. There are some very limited exceptions, none of which would apply here. So he won't have much luck even if the city does pass anything!
Old Nov 19, 2019, 5:27 pm

Programs: whatever it takes
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
This has to be among the stranger things I have seen in some time.

The Mayor has decided he is smarter than Boeing, FAA, Pilots Union, various countries, etc. He is also sending a letter demanding certain information from Boeing as well.

Another example of too much chlorine in the gene pool.

Here is a link: https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/...564943092.html
Too much chlorine in the gene pool? Hahahahaha....

Actually there are far more fools....try "too much digital wireless radiation in the air" - no doubt will get blasted down by all the blind lovers...ignorance is bliss...until it isn't.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N830MH
That's stupid idea! There is no banned 737-MAX in FLL. Airlines has it right to bring 737-MAX8/9 into FLL. He has no authority from FAA or Boeing.

Vote him out! Now!
The only people in Florida who can ban the 737 MAX are potential passengers, if they truly ALL collectively refuse to fly it, since an airline cannot afford to fly empty airplanes for long.

But given that poor sales of plane seats would lead to steeply discounted prices for those seats, I can't see this doing anything more than lowering prices on 737 MAX flights, because there's too many people who I'm sure will reconsider "never flying the MAX again" if the price is low enough.

So in the end, the question is not whether anyone will "ban" it, but rather will it suffer so much attrition that it is not possible to command profitable fares for it.

The question is: Does Southwest identify the plane you're flying reliably when you book it, the way other airlines with assigned seats do? It's going to be more crazy if people don't realize they're flying a 737 MAX until they got to the airport. (At other airlines with assigned seats, if the type of plane changes and your seat assignment has to change, you get notified by the airline that plane changed because of that. But at Southwest, where it's open seating, do they notify you if your plane type changes between booking and flying?)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.