Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

christmas eve @ LHR - questions about tactics/logistics

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2019, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond

Hey folks,

I got some questions.
situation: we (a party of two) are flying from TXL via LHR to the US. I arrive @ LHR one day before her, so basically im in London and she is arriving from TXL @ 12/24 +- 2pm at Terminal 5.

I'm flying on a BA flight to JFK in the evening from Terminal 5
She is flying on an AA flight to JFK in the evening from Terminal 3.

We got 6 hrs to kill.

Is it somehow possible that
a) She joins me in a Terminal 5 lounge although she departs from Terminal 3?
b) I join her in a Terminal 3 lounge although I depart from Terminal 5?

Is there a possiblity to switch Terminals after Security?

Quite confusing situation, i hope you understand me.

Kind regards
Nephoi
Old Nov 16, 2019, 10:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Hmm, I can't see how you can join her in T3. She's arriving in T5 so if you were in the building that's a start, however I'm pretty sure she won't be able to get through to T5A after deplaning as she'll be directed of to transfer and T3 when they check her boarding card.

Best option might be meeting for lunch/dinner in the Sofitel and chilling there or even a day room at the Thistle?
Nephoi likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 10:30 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
It would be possible to go to a lounge together in T3, although you would personally have to go via T5. I don’t think it’s worth the hassle. Personally I would meet landside and find somewhere for a coffee/drink before going your separate ways.
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I don’t see either being possible. You can’t go in the airside departures area of T5 without a bp for a T5 departing flight, and I very much doubt T3 main security would allow you through with a T5 pass - it’s a different story for connections security but that won’t be where you are going to.

I think landside options would be the most sensible before you head in different directions.
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Nephoi
Is it somehow possible that
a) She joins me in a Terminal 5 lounge although she departs from Terminal 3?
b) I join her in a Terminal 3 lounge although I depart from Terminal 5?
a) is impossible, she would need a T5 boarding pass to get airside.
b) is not impossible, just awkward and difficult. You would need to enter T5 in the usual way, clear security, take the transit to T5C and back to T5A, then take the bus in Flight Connections to T3, explain to T3 that you are going to the lounge, clear security, meet-up, return to Flight Connection, take the bus back to T5, spend probably about 20 minutes getting your boarding pass re-enabled (you may lose any seat selected in this process), clear security and you are finally airside in T5 again. I'm not recommending this to anyone.

Or, just agree to meet somewhere landside in T3, before you head to T5.
KARFA, Nephoi, shefgab and 4 others like this.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by madfish
It would be possible to go to a lounge together in T3, although you would personally have to go via T5. I don’t think it’s worth the hassle. Personally I would meet landside and find somewhere for a coffee/drink before going your separate ways.
what do you mean "via T5" is there an airside connection between the Terminals 3 and 5?
Old Nov 16, 2019, 10:35 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Nephoi
what do you mean "via T5" is there an airside connection between the Terminals 3 and 5?
CWS’ post explains this. But basically you would need to enter landside at T5 and then travel to T3.

I don’t think it’s worth the hassle.
KARFA, Nephoi and wrp96 like this.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Well, I'm going to risk contradicting CWS.

I think you may be able to achieve (a) buy buying the cheapest possible BA flight out of T5 to anywhere you choose that day for your friend (provided it leaves an hour or two after arrival) - this might cost £0.50 if you have Avios to burn. She should check into the flight prior to leaving TXL, then on arrival in T5 airside, she should then use flight connections to go to airside departures in T5, and meet you. She of course will not take the flight. As she is on AA (not BA) this should not affect her AA ticket. When she wishes to return to T3, she can take the train to T5C, stay on the train which will then return her to the arrivals part of T5, and use the T3 AA boarding pass to reach T3 airside. Whether this is worth it is up to you.
Nephoi and aidy like this.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by abligh
how dare you!

but sounds complicated as well. thanks. i suggest that to her. it depends on what she is saying...
if I understand you correct - it can be a ticket on any airline leaving from T5?!?
HighwayToHEL likes this.

Last edited by Nephoi; Nov 16, 2019 at 11:43 am
Old Nov 16, 2019, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
not sure what christmas eve has to do with it.

The answer is the same as per any other day - meet at landside T5 - where she enters the UK after her TXL flight lands and then she uses the landside route to T3for her later AA flight.

Buying a ticket just so she can get access to T5 to use a lounge is not really the way to go. Even a cheap ticket could be expensive plus you have a wait for BA to refund it so you could be tying up money for some time
Old Nov 16, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Why not just meet in the Sofitel for afternoon tea before going separate ways again. Of course, one of you could always book onto the same aircraft as the other so you can be in the same lounge until departure. That feels less complicated than some of the other scenarios here.
wrp96, aidy, nancypants and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold
... or change the LHR-JFK flights, either you from BA to AA, or her from AA to BA... ?
mikeyfly, tuonopepper and Nephoi like this.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
Originally Posted by CKBA
... or change the LHR-JFK flights, either you from BA to AA, or her from AA to BA... ?
Thats what I would do if I wanted to make flowers.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tikchik
Thats what I would do if I wanted to make flowers.
i call AA tomorrow. But since it’s a pretty cheap hbo fare i don’t see any chances in it. We had a lot of flight changes in the itinerary. Maybe tomorrow is my lucky day.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 4:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by abligh

I think you may be able to achieve (a) buy buying the cheapest possible BA flight out of T5 to anywhere you choose that day for your friend (provided it leaves an hour or two after arrival) - this might cost £0.50 if you have Avios to burn. She should check into the flight prior to leaving TXL, then on arrival in T5 airside, she should then use flight connections to go to airside departures in T5, and meet you. She of course will not take the flight. As she is on AA (not BA) this should not affect her AA ticket. When she wishes to return to T3, she can take the train to T5C, stay on the train which will then return her to the arrivals part of T5, and use the T3 AA boarding pass to reach T3 airside. Whether this is worth it is up to you.
Sometimes you need to re-evaluate the possible v the sensible. I think OP and his companion can probably bear not meeting airside, or meeting at all for a couple of hours during transit.
Silver Fox likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.