Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more same day standby

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2019, 3:45 am
Original Poster

No more same day standby

In the past for the short haul flights, it is an unwritten rule you can generally change to a different flight

Even as a DM+ they will now observe the ticket. If changes allowed with a few they will charge u, even just 1 hour

exception is redemption in Asia miles they said they will allow.

dont know whether this will apply to PVG or PeK. But I tried 5 regional outports incl hkg and confirmed this policy
Old Nov 16, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles & Smiles
Flew MNL-HKG late Oct and change my flight at check in desk to the 2nd earlier one (from about 8pm to 5pm departure). No issue whatsoever and no charge.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ahopkins767
Flew MNL-HKG late Oct and change my flight at check in desk to the 2nd earlier one (from about 8pm to 5pm departure). No issue whatsoever and no charge.
New rule just introduced. I guess some outports still don’t follow the rules fully yet but they are cracking down on this!
Old Nov 16, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by londonexpert
New rule just introduced. I guess some outports still don’t follow the rules fully yet but they are cracking down on this!
the rule has always been there. It’s been that it has been followed at discretion. MNL, PVG and PEK are the most prevalent
Old Nov 16, 2019, 6:40 pm

Programs: CX DM
Just changed flights HKG-TPE at an HKG lounge. Never had to pay. Had to today.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 8:42 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Wonder what happens to Avios redemptions? I got away with SDC at the Wing when travelling with DMs as recently as last month.

Last edited by percysmith; Nov 17, 2019 at 2:58 am
Old Nov 16, 2019, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by marcuslai
Just changed flights HKG-TPE at an HKG lounge. Never had to pay. Had to today.
What was ur underlying ticket and class and fare rules.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 9:03 pm

Programs: CX DM
What was ur underlying ticket and class and fare rules.
PEY E class. can't remember / bothered to look up the rules. but was asked to pay HKD 160 to change to an earlier HKG-TPE flight.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 10:11 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by percysmith
Wonder what happens to Avios redemptions? I got away with SDC when travelling with DMs as recently as last month.
Last year I tried to get on an earlier flight at TPE with an avios redemption I was told I couldn’t. They had gone away with the intention of changing my flight but then came up to me later and said they couldn’t change because it was Avios. So even before they wouldn’t allow it.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 10:21 pm

In the past for the short haul flights, it is an unwritten rule you can generally change to a different flight

Even as a DM+ they will now observe the ticket. If changes allowed with a few they will charge u, even just 1 hour

dont know whether this will apply to PVG or PeK. But I tried 5 regional outports incl hkg and confirmed this policy
I remembered award ticket was fine.

However, I tried to change a revenue TPE ticket to an earlier flight and was told to pay for $1k HKD just for the standby to the flight that took off 40min earlier. Nah, no.

Last edited by PaulInTheSky; Nov 17, 2019 at 6:18 am
Old Nov 17, 2019, 1:31 am

Same experience 2/3 weeks ago with an Avios redemption to SIN. She was working on the computer than explained that as it's partner award she couldn't change.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 3:01 am

This is frankly so stupid of CX to do. Standby at ex PEK was great for business travellers especially with the unpredictable delays there. Literally doesn't cost CX any money to do this, they're just being greedy with lost revenue from change fees.
fairhsa likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 3:24 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Richard Yu
Standby at ex PEK was great for business travellers especially with the unpredictable delays there.
Hang on. PEK and PVG actively allow boarding on earlier flights, just in case Air Flow Control cause them to combine later flights. They even have the whiteboard showing which flights you can early board. Has the boards been removed?!
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 7:08 am

Programs: BA EC
Originally Posted by sxc
Last year I tried to get on an earlier flight at TPE with an avios redemption I was told I couldn’t. They had gone away with the intention of changing my flight but then came up to me later and said they couldn’t change because it was Avios. So even before they wouldn’t allow it.
Those TPE ground agents was not nice at all. However, if you insist, they will ask their supervisor for approval. I have tried this with revenue ticket / AM redemption and avios redemption.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 7:11 am

Programs: BA EC

I am not sure where you try but all Japan ports will NOT entertain any same day flight change for free.
TPE / KHH need a bit talk with ground agents.
HKG no problem at all. And if flight is empty, change one day before for free is also doable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.