Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Plat (UK) Questions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2019, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Amex Plat (UK) Questions

Hi everyone,

having previously churned BAPP cards I've just had my first Plat card through. TBH ive only really got the card to put my annual travel card purchase on and then cancel for the MR welcome bonus, convert to avios and use with BA.

My question is, do all the other benefits get cancelled immediately when you cancel the card (Hilton honors, lounge access etc) or can you normally get this for a little while after by flashing cards at lounges (or do they physically check if the card is still active?). I've got quite a lot of travel which I can get usage out of the benefits so need to work out if its worth me delaying cancelling the card for a few months.

Thanks,
TMM
Old Oct 23, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Amex will clawback MR bonuses if you cancel within a year of opening. Trying to do so within the initial 30 day window after buying your travel pass to get back the annual fee in addition will probably not only result in losing the points, but being ineligible for future Amex bonuses. And rightfully so IMO.

As for your third party benefits, Amex will contact Hilton and Marriott and Priority Pass to disable your access but I don't know how fast they are, but hope it's immediate because that is the way it should be. If you like those perks, why not keep the card?
Old Oct 23, 2019, 5:28 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Gig103
Amex will clawback MR bonuses if you cancel within a year of opening.....
While this is true in the USA, it appears that The Muffin Man is asking about UK cards. The clue is BAPP which is a UK-issued British Airways co-branded card.,
Old Oct 23, 2019, 5:44 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by mia
While this is true in the USA, it appears that The Muffin Man is asking about UK cards. The clue is BAPP which is a UK-issued British Airways co-branded card.,
The headline did not say (UK) when I replied to Muffin Man. But why wouldn't the UK have an abuse team?
Old Oct 23, 2019, 5:49 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Gig103
The headline did not say (UK) when I replied to Muffin Man.
Correct. I added it to clarify.

American Express issues cards in scores of countries. The policies and practices are different. Here is a policy from the UK:

I understand I will not be eligible for any Welcome Bonus award if I hold or have held any personal Membership Rewards-enrolled American Express Cards in the past 24 months.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Originally Posted by The Muffin Man
Hi everyone,

having previously churned BAPP cards I've just had my first Plat card through. TBH ive only really got the card to put my annual travel card purchase on and then cancel for the MR welcome bonus, convert to avios and use with BA.

My question is, do all the other benefits get cancelled immediately when you cancel the card (Hilton honors, lounge access etc) or can you normally get this for a little while after by flashing cards at lounges (or do they physically check if the card is still active?). I've got quite a lot of travel which I can get usage out of the benefits so need to work out if its worth me delaying cancelling the card for a few months.

Thanks,
TMM
Nothing is flashed anywhere. When you use a priority pass for lounge access its swiped, when you use an amex card for lounge access its swiped, to get the hotel benefits they'd have to be entered into the booking, so the colour your card is printed on is irrelevant.

The statuses are all cancelled effective immediately, like immediately immediately. 10 minutes after hanging up the phone level swiftness.

I think priority pass sent out something reducing the card to the basic level asking for an alternate credit card to charge your lounge visits to.

If you have a lot of travel where you can make use of the benefits, keep the card.
mia likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Preferred, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by aceman
N

The statuses are all cancelled effective immediately, like immediately immediately. 10 minutes after hanging up the phone level swiftness.
I'm not convinced that this is actually the case? All the other reports I've heard state that at least the Hiton status remains until the end of the qualifying year.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 8:16 am

Travel inconvenience

Airline cancelled our return flight from HBE to MXP (wizzair) and we have only option to fly back 4 days later.
Our ticket wasn't bought using amex platinum because wizzair don't offer amex card payments for flights from Italy (Euro payment with visa/master card only) so I understand via are still covered even we didn't pay with amex.

This trip is at the End of year and mayby we will fly so I just checking options for cover 4 days longer trip costs
we have separate booking with BA LHR-MXP (witch was also cancelled but because of it and BA policy we can change it to any day so very use full during this days....) which we paid with amex....

staying longer for days we will need to spend 4 days at hotels in Egipt more which I understand is covered by amex and also we will need stay one day at MXP we landing at 1AM so airport stay at MXP is essential.

so in total it will be 5 hotel nights
family of 4.

I checked wording and

"1.6.1) You will be reimbursed up to £150 per person for refreshment costs, or up to £300 per person (including £150
for refreshments) for additional travel and accommodation costs incurred prior to actual departure on Your Trip
if:
a).....
b) Delay, cancellation or overbooking. Your flight, train or ship is delayed, cancelled, or overbooked and
no alternative is made available within 4 hours of the published departure time; "

I have question of total hotel cost per person
its 300 GBP,
can it be for example 200 for hotel and 100 for food?
or it must be maximum 150 for hotel and maximum 150 for food?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.