Search

CX Avios Award - Flight Cancellation

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2019, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond
CX Avios Award - Flight Cancellation

Hi All,

Looking for some advice and help. I apologize if this isn't the right place. Mods, please feel free to merge if need be.

I booked a CX F award in March 2019 for CX 846 for February 2020. Unfortunately our flight was the victim of the HKG - JFK downsizing and I was rescheduled in J on CX 890 to EWR.

Obviously, I'm pretty upset that I've lost my F seat. I called and tweeted BA and they said there was nothing they could do. I know on AA I can ask them to talk to Cathay to see if they could open up space, but BA flat out refused. Is this something that they can do? Any thoughts on what I can do here? I've (thankfully) never experienced anything like this before.

Thanks,
Shane
Old Oct 23, 2019, 9:13 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
BA can talk to the oneworld liaison desk on this and ask for a CX F reward to be opened up on a HKG-JFK flight but my experience with CX on this is they usually say no- typically changes to F are only available where there are available F reward seats.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Originally Posted by McSam18
Hi All,

Looking for some advice and help. I apologize if this isn't the right place. Mods, please feel free to merge if need be.

I booked a CX F award in March 2019 for CX 846 for February 2020. Unfortunately our flight was the victim of the HKG - JFK downsizing and I was rescheduled in J on CX 890 to EWR.

Obviously, I'm pretty upset that I've lost my F seat. I called and tweeted BA and they said there was nothing they could do. I know on AA I can ask them to talk to Cathay to see if they could open up space, but BA flat out refused. Is this something that they can do? Any thoughts on what I can do here? I've (thankfully) never experienced anything like this before.

Thanks,
Shane
If you don't mind a longer journey, BA can ALWAYS offer you a seat in the redeemed cabin class on its own flights, even if inventory does not presently exist. Might require a supervisor and some behind-the-scenes footwork, but it is always an option.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
If you don't mind a longer journey, BA can ALWAYS offer you a seat in the redeemed cabin class on its own flights, even if inventory does not presently exist. Might require a supervisor and some behind-the-scenes footwork, but it is always an option.
You are correct, but practically nobody around here would want a CX F replaced with a BA F. A direct CX J is arguably better than an indirect BA F.

Ultimately the OP can continue to insist with BA that they liaise with CX, but CX can and do say "no" to such requests. It is worth keeping an eye on award space though, as F seats have a habit of popping up unexpectedly, especially due to the HK protests.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by McSam18
Hi All,

Thanks,
Shane
I am surprised by BA’s response especially by the Twitter team. If I understand correctly your flight in F has been cancelled and rebooked into J to EWR instead of JFK.

Irrespective of whether award availability exists, BA will rebook you onto a suitable CX flight or reroute you in the same cabin. They can use revenue availability if no award availability exists- I have been in this situation a few times this year. On Twitter, send a DM and ask to speak to a supervisor.

I have sent you a PM
Old Oct 23, 2019, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
BA can talk to the oneworld liaison desk on this and ask for a CX F reward to be opened up on a HKG-JFK flight but my experience with CX on this is they usually say no- typically changes to F are only available where there are available F reward seats.
I'm surprised you've had negative experiences here. I've had exactly this same thing happen to me 4 times now, and every single time Cathay opened space for me after the ticketing carrier put in a liason request. These tickets were booked with a mix of AA/AS, so I don't know if BA is different, but the reps at those airlines seemed like it was no big deal and that Cathay was usually pretty accommodating of things like this.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by allthem
I'm surprised you've had negative experiences here. I've had exactly this same thing happen to me 4 times now, and every single time Cathay opened space for me after the ticketing carrier put in a liason request. These tickets were booked with a mix of AA/AS, so I don't know if BA is different, but the reps at those airlines seemed like it was no big deal and that Cathay was usually pretty accommodating of things like this.
ageee I just think it’s a case of a poorly informed agent!
Old Oct 23, 2019, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for your help. I guess I’ll take some time and give BA another ring to see if they could liaise with Cathay. Can this be handled by a regular rep or does it need to be done by a supervisor?

Originally Posted by haroon145
...I have sent you a PM
Never got a PM from you.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
This 4 months from now
Currently CX has to reassign a lot of pax. They sold a huge amount of F tickets on their Vietnam_US mistake fare. Revenue F tickets will have priority, so will MPC award, especially with high FFP status.
CX usually have 3 flights to JFK with F, that's a total of 18 seats and there is high revenue demand.

I think that with some patience, CX will release you a seat unless paid bookings in F brcome high.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Just wanted to close the loop on this. I reached out to the BA Twitter team again and they were able to put in a request with Cathay. Cathay picked up the request and confirmed me back in F on an earlier flight about an hour after the request was submitted by BA.

Thanks, again, for everyone's help and insights!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.