Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Can I use a Hertz car for DMV driving test?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2019, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Can i use Hertz car for behind wheel DMV test? Is additional insurance needed?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 22, 2019 at 4:55 am Reason: vague thread title
Old Oct 21, 2019, 11:17 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
Originally Posted by g_ngan
Can i use Hertz car for behind wheel DMV test? Is additional insurance needed?
I'm certain that it's not allowed in the contract. No amount of additional insurance can cover an unlicensed driver who thus isn't on the Hertz contract. Additionally, I don't think the DMV/BMV will even allow it.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 11:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What sort of test? if it is a case where you currently have a licence from another country and are doing a test to get a local licence, cannot see that there is anything that is not permitted about it

If it is for an unlicenced driver taking a test , then that person would not be eligible to be a driver on the rental
Old Oct 21, 2019, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

I am moving to US and needs to retake the test. I am renting through Hertz with my international driving license.

From DMV "

Financial Responsibility

You must show that your vehicle is properly insured before the driving test begins (or the test will be postponed) by providing one of the following:
  • A document with a liability insurance policy or surety bond number.
  • An assigned risk insurance card with the name of the assigned insurance company, file number, and current coverage dates.
  • A current insurance binder or copy of an insurance policy signed or countersigned by an insurance company representative.
  • A DMV-issued certificate of self-insurance or acknowledgment of cash deposit.
  • A written confirmation from the insurer that the person is insured.
  • A rental vehicle contract (the applicant must be listed on the contract as an insured driver).
Important: If a rental vehicle is used for the driving test, the contract must not indicate driving tests are excluded."

Does the contract says exclude driving test?

Last edited by g_ngan; Oct 21, 2019 at 11:58 pm
Old Oct 21, 2019, 11:56 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Then as "Dave Noble" stated- not an issue if you are the licensed renter. Would suggest you ensure get a vehicle easy to use as do not want to be penalized because of unfamiliar with settings or visibility.
travelinterpreters likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 12:00 am

I am moving to US and needs to retake the test. I am renting through Hertz with my international driving license.
Check your state law and the Hertz contract applicable to your rental. In California, as long as your name is on the rental agreement, it should be fine.

Two forms of insurance are important, and you should make sure you have coverage.
  1. Loss damage waiver (LDW) - most US credit cards offer this for free. If you don't have a credit card like this, you should buy Hertz's LDW.
  2. Liability - most US car insurance policies cover rental cars. If your insurance policy doesn't, you should buy Hertz's Liability Insurance Supplement (LIS).
Old Oct 22, 2019, 12:01 am

Programs: Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
What sort of test? if it is a case where you currently have a licence from another country and are doing a test to get a local licence, cannot see that there is anything that is not permitted about it

If it is for an unlicenced driver taking a test , then that person would not be eligible to be a driver on the rental
Unfortunately in the US the contract says it's not permitted and will result in your purchased LDW being nullified.
From the contract :
...(c) the damage is caused
while You or an AO is engaged in a speed contest, race,
road rally, test or driver training activity ...
Old Oct 22, 2019, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by tb17
Unfortunately in the US the contract says it's not permitted and will result in your purchased LDW being nullified.
From the contract :
...(c) the damage is caused
while You or an AO is engaged in a speed contest, race,
road rally, test or driver training activity ...
The contract differs by rental location and I am not sure a DMV test would be considered "test or driver training activity"
Old Oct 22, 2019, 12:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davie355
Check your state law and the Hertz contract applicable to your rental. In California, as long as your name is on the rental agreement, it should be fine.

Two forms of insurance are important, and you should make sure you have coverage.
  1. Loss damage waiver (LDW) - most US credit cards offer this for free. If you don't have a credit card like this, you should buy Hertz's LDW.
  2. Liability - most US car insurance policies cover rental cars. If your insurance policy doesn't, you should buy Hertz's Liability Insurance Supplement (LIS).
Thanks for the heads up on LDW. I didn't see it mentioning in DMV CA. Where did you see mentioning on LDW?

As for LIS, I understand Hertz CA says it's excluded BUT it also states it is covered for international drivers. So I assume it's not needed?

I don't have US car insurance as I am getting my license before I can purchase a car and I don't have a US credit card yet.

Last edited by g_ngan; Oct 22, 2019 at 12:31 am
Old Oct 22, 2019, 12:53 am

Thanks for the heads up on LDW. I didn't see it mentioning in DMV CA. Where did you see mentioning on LDW?
LDW is not required.

But if you return the car damaged even if it's not your fault, you will be responsible for repair costs unless you have LDW.

If you are employed by a big company, you might be able to use a corporate code that includes LDW. Check with your company's travel department.

As for LIS, I understand Hertz CA says it's excluded BUT it also states it is covered for international drivers. So I assume it's not needed?
Hertz will provide the minimum amount of liability insurance required to drive legally in CA.

LIS is considered "extra" insurance, so you're not required to buy it, but most experts say that renters who don't have their own car insurance should buy LIS.
g_ngan likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 1:00 am
Original Poster

Thanks. This clarifies it!
Old Oct 22, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, TK E+, AS MVPG, SPG&Marriott Plat, HHD, Hertz PC
I did try this and was not allowed, but wasn’t hard to find a test center with a car in the state I first took the DMV test.
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

I don't have US car insurance as I am getting my license before I can purchase a car and I don't have a US credit card yet.
Did you book this rental on Hertz' U.S. site, or on the Hertz site for your home country? If the latter, quoted rates will often -- not always -- include both SLI and LDW.

If the Hertz contract will not permit the rented auto to be used for a DMV driving test, I suggest that you contact a local driving school to see if it will make one of its cars available to you for the test -- for a fee, of course.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: WN RR, DL SM, Hilton, Marriott, National
In NV the use of a rental car to take the license test is expressly forbidden.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
I did my Canadian Driver's license test in a Hertz Rental Car. I was a President's Circle Member and got upgraded to a Jaguar S-Type. It did not have a manual hand break - so of course at some point the parallel parking exercise came: I stopped the car. Turned off the engine.

Tester: Are you forgetting something?
Me: No
Tester: You sure?
Me: Yes - there is no manual hand break.
Tester: OK - I usually don't get to test in fancy cars

Anyhow - while I don't know about now - and not about California - it wasn't an issue at all back then in Ontario.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.