Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Non-Prepaid Rate Drop Before Stay

Old Oct 21, 2019, 5:58 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat

I’m in China now, bouncing from city to city...I have a stay starting soon in Guangzhou, where the rates are inflated for Canton Fair.

Long story short, booked months ago at the Hilton GZ Baiyun under a run-of-the mill AAA rate (not a prepaid rate), but because of the fair, the standard non-cancel penalty goes to 14 days. We’re now just ahead of my arrival, and the rate has fallen by $60 per night (30%). No small amount on a several-night stay.

I had already received a welcome e-mail from the exec floor, I replied and asked politely if they would change my rate to match what is currently being offered. I was told to go pound sand.

Even booking and King-Executive Floor is cheaper than my rate, and prior to this, they told me that’s all they’d upgrade me to.

They offered to give me a bottle of wine. I honestly do not drink and told them as such. Any ‘food amenity’ would be made null by my access to the lounge (I get breakfast, will be gone all day, back in time for the evening reception which is generally my dinner—I’m a light eater in Asia).

Again, I get it on a prepaid rate. You gamble—sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Or should I lower my expectations to this when making a standard booking as well? I have had this happen before (mostly in the US), and they’ve always happily obliged.

If it matters, I am a Diamond who has had probably 4-5 stays at this same property in the past, always during the high-rate fair period, and always at least 4 nights at a time.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 6:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Ask again at check in. I've been told that it's harder to change the rate after you've checked in when there's a situation like this.
MBS MillionMiler likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 6:11 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Ask again at check in. I've been told that it's harder to change the rate after you've checked in when there's a situation like this.
I’ll give it a whirl. Thanks! Nothing to lose, right?

In contrast, I also meant to share that on this same trip I booked a room at the Conrad in HK...In that case, the prepaid rate was SOOOOO much cheaper (not only cheaper than any non-prepaid rate, but cheaper than I’d ever seen before).

The rate did drop there too, by around $50/night as well. When they contacted me in advance to welcome me, I reached back and asked (with different expectations than in Guangzhou) and they told me that they couldn’t refund the rate, but would happy to adjust it, and the difference would be available to me as a credit on my folio to use as I please during my stay.

As generally great as Hiltons are in Mainland China, we’re comparing apples to oranges here with the Conrad HK and a Hilton in Guangzhou.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 6:14 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
I’ll give it a whirl. Thanks! Nothing to lose, right?

In contrast, I also meant to share that on this same trip I booked a room at the Conrad in HK...In that case, the prepaid rate was SOOOOO much cheaper (not only cheaper than any non-prepaid rate, but cheaper than I’d ever seen before).

The rate did drop there too, by around $50/night as well. When they contacted me in advance to welcome me, I reached back and asked (with different expectations than in Guangzhou) and they told me that they couldn’t refund the rate, but would happy to adjust it, and the difference would be available to me as a credit on my folio to use as I please during my stay.

As generally great as Hiltons are in Mainland China, we’re comparing apples to oranges here with the Conrad HK and a Hilton in Guangzhou.
That's a good resolution, but of course a F&B credit can be of limited use if someone is traveling for meetings or will have lounge access.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
Nothing to lose, right?
You would be contributing to a negative perception of Americans (lacking integrity - not wanting to uphold the agreed upon rate; pushy - asking a second time after having already been declined).
Old Oct 21, 2019, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by davie355
You would be contributing to a negative perception of Americans (lacking integrity - not wanting to uphold the agreed upon rate; pushy - asking a second time after having already been declined).
In mainland China???
Old Oct 21, 2019, 6:35 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec
Original Poster

In mainland China???
Right!?!?!?

The same country where someone wants to sell me a souvenir for my daughters for Ą100...And I walk out with it for Ą10?

The same country which themselves joke that everything is negotiable, including fixed prices at grocery stores?

I’ve gotten into a cab in China where the person exiting took FOREVER, and the driver told us that the other person wouldn’t exit as they were trying to negotiate the meter! (With no actual complaints about the previous route or ride itself).
:D! likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Yes cause perception of Chinese tourists is so great. Also dont get how asking, not demanding, but asking is problematic.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 7:00 pm

We are dealing cross-culturally here, so the nuance of "ask" vs "demand" is moot. We have to cut to the chase. OP wants $60/night back. If you're the hotelier, what do you say?
Old Oct 21, 2019, 7:39 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec
Original Poster

We are dealing cross-culturally here, so the nuance of "ask" vs "demand" is moot. We have to cut to the chase. OP wants $60/night back. If you're the hotelier, what do you say?
Whole situation is moot now...I just got an unsolicited reply from the Exec Lounge manager—Hotel agreed to move me to an Executive-level suite (as in the suite is on the same floor as the lounge, close to it, but not so close whereas it’s noisy and/or disturbing—they blocked me into such a room—-I do like being on the floor where the lounge is located).

Not ideal, but a fair compromise nonetheless, I think. In all of my previous stays there, I saw a suite once because they were indeed sold out and it was all they had left. My 3-4 other stays there when selling every room category online, I’d been told by staff every other time that they do not upgrade Diamonds into suites.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 7:42 pm

Overall, that sounds good to me. Are you happy with the confirmed suite on the executive lounge floor as a customer service gesture?

BTW, I too like to be on the same floor as the lounge and I'll often request it.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 7:43 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
Aren't the Ferengi modeled after the Chinese?

Rule of acquisition 17 a contract is a contract but only between Ferengi.
jerseytom likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 8:52 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec
Original Poster

Overall, that sounds good to me. Are you happy with the confirmed suite on the executive lounge floor as a customer service gesture?

BTW, I too like to be on the same floor as the lounge and I'll often request it.
I wouldn’t say happy, but satisfied. Satisfied enough where I’ll stay there next time (pending the stay itself isn’t disastrous in one fashion or another). I “get” their side of it—especially on a country known for rigidity when it comes to rules).

Yes, my goal too is on the lounge floor itself. Just had it with an amazing stay at the Renaissance Harbour View HK with a 41st floor room, same as the lounge (but it is a multi-floor lounge). So nice not to have to elevator it (more of an issue with a 41-story place, less so with the 9-floor Hilton GZ Baiyun).

Last edited by MBS MillionMiler; Oct 22, 2019 at 7:16 am Reason: Spelling
Old Oct 21, 2019, 11:58 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DavidDTW
As you said, moot point, but for future reference in a similar situation:

What is the cancellation policy? Full cost of all nights, or just one night? If the latter, you could cancel and rebook at the lower rate (if benefit outweighs cost). Then when you get home file a dispute with your credit card company and take up the issue with the Diamond line to see if the cancellation penalty can be waived.
I actually thought about doing this, as it would be slightly cheaper to forfeit the first night and rebook at the better rate—but not worth the hassle if I didn’t “win”. The stubborn guy in me almost won though. But I do like the hotel and don’t want to tick them off either—I could see a “ban” for this reason.

When it’s your own company’s dime, you do go out of your way to save where you can!
Old Oct 22, 2019, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
Aren't the Ferengi modeled after the Chinese?
I don’t think so. More middle eastern people based, as far as I can tell.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.