Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Inbound will arrive after scheduled return departure time - how late can I arrive?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inbound will arrive after scheduled return departure time - how late can I arrive?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2019, 11:09 am
Original Poster

I’m on BA48 SEA-LHR tonight and the inbound BA49 is just taxing to the runway now, almost 3 hours late. The BA app is showing the delay but still telling me to turn up at the airport as usual, which is clearly ridiculous as everyone knows the plane isn’t going to be there. So how much can I take this into my own hands and arrive at a sensible time?
Old Oct 21, 2019, 11:17 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If you have checked baggage you don't have much choice but to turn up as normal since it may be that BA can't arrange check-in timings to alter (e.g. if the ground agents then have to work for another airline). If HBO, well it's at your own risk, but I personally would turn up a bit late if I have a boarding pass printed. That is what I would do, it is risky so it won't work for some people. Formally unless told otherwise you have to turn up on time.

BA do actually send out notifications when delays go over an hour or so, so keep your eye out for that. This may give you a clearer message about check-in times.
The _Banking_Scot and Often1 like this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Unfortunately unless you have been advised to check in later, the original check in deadlines will proably apply ( including desk check in for dropping bags.). You could leave it until the desk check in time originally planned ( ie 1 hour prior to departure for many US destinations not sure about SEA). It might be that BA has only contracted check in staff to operate certain hours.

Regards

TBS
Old Oct 21, 2019, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador

This is what is showing in flight status so unless you've been told othrwise then you should follow this above
Old Oct 21, 2019, 11:44 am
Original Poster

So they just texted me and check in will now close at 8pm so no need to get there too early. Some sort of result given the delay.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
i have observed that often messages come out after the aircraft is airborne and on its way. i suspect this is done to avoid you receiving multiple messages as any delay to the departure creeps
Old Oct 21, 2019, 12:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It made all the sense in the world for BA to hold off until it has a better understanding of the delay. As it stands, the departure delay is now down to 2:19 and BA must have made arrangements to hold over the check-in staff. With a new departure of 21:39, the new check in deadline is quite reasonable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.