Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Executive Platinum Status: Functional Uses For Domestic US?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2019, 10:24 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: 1k UA, UA MM, AA EXPlat

I have been trying to understand how my emerald one world status is functionally helpful when flying AA domestically? I have an AA Club membership. I have been turned away at Quantas and BA clubs and the perks seem to come with being ExPlat. Any help or insight appreciated.

Last edited by jpsj; Oct 21, 2019 at 2:44 pm
Old Oct 21, 2019, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by jpsj
I have been trying to understand how my emerald one world status is functionally helpful when flying AA domestically? I have an AA Club membership. I have been turned away at Quantas and BA clubs and the perks seem to come with being premierEX. Any help or insight appreciated.
As an AA EXP, you do not get any lounge access when flying solely on North American itineraries (outside of MEX).

As an AA EXP, you do get access to priority check-in, priority security, priority boarding, greater baggage allowances, and of course unlimited domestic upgrades when available.

It's unclear what you mean by how your "oneworld emerald status is functionally helpful" or "premierEX" ?

What are Executive Platinum / EP / EXP benefits? Are they worth it? (master thd)
Old Oct 21, 2019, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have been trying to understand how my emerald one world status is functionally helpful when flying AA domestically? I have an AA Club membership. I have been turned away at Quantas and BA clubs and the perks seem to come with being premierEX. Any help or insight appreciated.
OW emerald by AAdvantage? No lounge access on North American/USA flights
QF & BA lounges at what airports?
https://www.oneworld.com/travel-benefits#lounge-access

AA Club membership is different again

And Qantas does not have u [If you cannot spell---> no access ]
Old Oct 21, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
Start by letting us know which airline you qualified for oneWorld Emerald level status with
Old Oct 21, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by asf-07
Start by letting us know which airline you qualified for oneWorld Emerald level status with
AA EXP per profile..
Old Oct 21, 2019, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP's signature indicates EXP, but again it's unclear what kind of Emerald benefits they are talking about. If I had to guess they just want to gripe about EXP's not getting lounge access on domestic flights, which is the only real Emerald benefit that an EXP flying domestically cannot take advantage of.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 12:24 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: 1k UA, UA MM, AA EXPlat
I am. An AA ExPlat. That is where the sapphire comes in. I don’t see the benefits of this level with domestic flying on AA.

Last edited by jpsj; Oct 21, 2019 at 2:44 pm
Old Oct 21, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
I am. An AA premex. That is where the sapphire comes in. I don’t see the benefits of this level with domestic flying on AA.

"premex" isn't a thing. you're "Executive Platinum" with AA. Here are your benefits:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...=elitebenefits

It's up to you to decide if they're worth it. oneWorld lounge access on north american itineraries is not a benefit.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 12:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
The OP has an AC membership, which includes certain lounges with OW partners. Additionally, as an EXP flying Internationally the OP would get OW F lounge (or J lounge when no F lounge available) entry.

As others have noted his EXP status would carry over for items such as checked baggage allowance, priority boarding and check in. Possibly QF and BA lounges (not OW) not part of the AC Reciprocal AC lounge agreement is what the OP is referring to?
Old Oct 21, 2019, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
STATUS BASED OneWorld lounge access for tickets solely within North America, with the exception of trips to/from Mexico City, is the only OneWorld perk you do not get if your elite status is due to AAdvantage
Old Oct 21, 2019, 1:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by mvoight
STATUS BASED OneWorld lounge access for tickets solely within North America, with the exception of trips to/from Mexico City, is the only OneWorld perk you do not get if your elite status is due to AAdvantage
i think the main question is why? If all other OWE get this perk why don’t AA FF?
Old Oct 21, 2019, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
i think the main question is why? If all other OWE get this perk why don’t AA FF?
Because AA's Admiral's Clubs are membership fee based. If they allowed their most frequent flyers with higher levels of elite status to access these lounges (or any other OW lounge) in the US while on domestic only flights based on status, it would severely dilute the paid membership revenue that is part of their business model.

The same is the case in Australia with the Qantas lounges. Both countries with many domestic lounges to support vs.most other OW carrier countries.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Probably both to protect the revenue stream from Admirals Club memberships, and to avoid the sheer human volume that would suck up every cubic inch of Admirals Club space, especially at hub airports, if all EXPs, PPros, and Plats were allowed access on every itinerary within NA.
enpremiere likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Because AA, along with DL & UA, have long established paid lounge membership programs. Just one of those things that's different in the US (and Australia) vs. rest of world.

And lounge access is a benefit for oneworld Emerald and Sapphire, so letting every EXP, PLT Pro, and PLT into clubs on every domestic itinerary would be complete overcrowded chaos. None of the legacy carriers have the lounge infrastructure for that. Not to mention they're certainly not going to give up all the revenue they receive from lounge memberships.
JonNYC, CMTinPHL and bse118 like this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Because AA, along with DL & UA, have long established paid lounge membership programs. Just one of those things that's different in the US (and Australia) vs. rest of world.

And lounge access is a benefit for oneworld Emerald and Sapphire, so letting every EXP, PLT Pro, and PLT into clubs on every domestic itinerary would be complete overcrowded chaos. None of the legacy carriers have the lounge infrastructure for that. Not to mention they're certainly not going to give up all the revenue they receive from lounge memberships.
Technically correct. However, I would note that DL gave domestic lounge access to all Diamonds for a number of years after they introduced that tier in 2010. I'm sure it was a factor in SkyClubs being consistently overcrowded. The benefit was therefore tightened over the years to exclude guests and it's now available only as a "Choice Benefit". Still better than AA, of course, which offers EXPs only a discounted membership.
GTITAN likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.