Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Watch out for sneaky 14 day cancellation policy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2019, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

I was in the process of cancelling a one night reservation I had for next Friday when I noticed the 14 day cancellation policy. What?!??!? When did that start? I've stayed at the same hotel before and I have future reservations at the same place and all have the usual 2 day cancellation.

So, be careful out there. It will sneak up on you.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by nobodyherebutme
I was in the process of cancelling a one night reservation I had for next Friday when I noticed the 14 day cancellation policy. What?!??!? When did that start? I've stayed at the same hotel before and I have future reservations at the same place and all have the usual 2 day cancellation.

So, be careful out there. It will sneak up on you.
OK - I'll bite - which hotel?

David
Old Oct 19, 2019, 8:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DELee
OK - I'll bite - which hotel?

David
.....and when? (NYE?)
Old Oct 19, 2019, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

My reservation was at the Moxy in Tokyo. I checked my future reservations at the same hotel and all show a one-day cancellation requirement (not 2 as I mistakenly wrote). The other hotels I looked at don't show anything unusual for next Friday as far as cancellation rules. The rates, however, are absurdly high everywhere.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
My reservation was at the Moxy in Tokyo. I checked my future reservations at the same hotel and all show a one-day cancellation requirement (not 2 as I mistakenly wrote). The other hotels I looked at don't show anything unusual for next Friday as far as cancellation rules. The rates, however, are absurdly high everywhere.
Was the cancellation policy not disclosed when you made the reservation?
Old Oct 19, 2019, 8:28 pm

I spend 175 nights/year in hotels...and not one of them without reading the terms of the contract to which I am agreeing. Sorry, but not sorry.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Was the cancellation policy not disclosed when you made the reservation?
The cancellation policy was disclosed when I made the reservation. There was nothing unusual about the cancellation statement (as far as font or color was concerned). So I assumed it was the same statement I has read on the reservations I had made earlier that day for other dates (some of them the same week). That's why I described it as "sneaky".
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 10:23 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Can you modify the stay or ask the hotel to move it rather than cancel. You could cancel one of the other stays and move it into that slot.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 10:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
The cancellation policy was disclosed when I made the reservation. There was nothing unusual about the cancellation statement (as far as font or color was concerned). So I assumed it was the same statement I has read on the reservations I had made earlier that day for other dates (some of them the same week). That's why I described it as "sneaky".
EVERY Marriott reservation I have made directly clearly shows the dates/days by which you must cancel on the reservation page before completing the purchase. There is nothing sneaky going on here.
Newman, writerguyfl and Often1 like this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Collierkr
EVERY Marriott reservation I have made directly clearly shows the dates/days by which you must cancel on the reservation page before completing the purchase. There is nothing sneaky going on here.
When everything else is one day at property, it's not going to be clear theres a difference. It may not be sneaky, but imposing a 14 day cancel is so outside the norm there that it warrants at least being bolded or something to alert you. Just like you're alerted when booking a no change/cancel reservation.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 12:26 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by flyerCO
When everything else is one day at property, it's not going to be clear theres a difference. It may not be sneaky, but imposing a 14 day cancel is so outside the norm there that it warrants at least being bolded or something to alert you. Just like you're alerted when booking a no change/cancel reservation.
So what difference or value makes it worthy of highlighting. Is it 3 days? 14 or 30? I’m not sure you understand the IT hit to deliver this type of feature. It isn’t like the cancellation date is buried in the middle of 4 pages of T&Cs.
Happy, Newman and writerguyfl like this.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 12:53 am

Programs: Delta 2MM/Diamond Elite, United 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite/LT Platinum
Might it not be because of the enthronement ceremony this week?
pilgrim, dogemperor and Newman like this.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Collierkr
So what difference or value makes it worthy of highlighting. Is it 3 days? 14 or 30? I’m not sure you understand the IT hit to deliver this type of feature. It isn’t like the cancellation date is buried in the middle of 4 pages of T&Cs.
If it's anything but standard 1 or 2 day then it opens popup would be very easy. Not hard from an IT standpoint at all.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 3:40 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

The Rugby World Cup is on in Japan at the moment, so it may be to do with that.
dogemperor likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 3:49 am

Programs: IC Dia RA / Marriott LT Plat / WOH Globalist / Hilton Diamond / OZ Diamond Plus
Find your confirmation email and it would tell you whether it's your mistake or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.