Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge options LAX and LHR

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2019, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
Lounge options LAX and LHR

EXP and flying AA bIz LAX to LHR soon, connecting to LYS with about a four hour layover. Given the lousy food on AA I want to maximize getting some good meals in the lounges. Let me know if I’m missing anything, I think I’ve got a handle on where I can get into and best options. Will have one non elite guest flying with me.

At LAX, given my EXP status I think I’m best going to Qantas First Lounge, I’ve visited it before. Better choice than AA Flagship when no Flagship dining I think, I don’t love the Flagship lounge at LAX. Little off topic but does the EXP status with international biz get me Flagship check in? I don’t think so, maybe things have changed?

On my layover, best food I’m thinking Cathay lounge, is there a separate First and BIz options or just one? Skipping the AA options, obviously. Qantas I’ve heard has a great gin bar I’ve heard, maybe go there for awhile too. Champagne options at both currently? What about BA options, worth it for food and or drink? Am I missing a good option?

My return is from LHR so same options as still will be terminal 3
Old Oct 19, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
According to EF the LHR-LYS flights go out of T5 so your choices are BA Galleries First or Club lounges. So I would stop in the BA Galleries First which is nice but usually pretty busy. Yes, on Qantas F lounge ex-LAX.

On your return, AA flies out of T3 so CX F lounge which has proper sit down meal service and is otherwise quite nice. Also CX J lounge has a noodle bar if you prefer.

I don't drink alcohol so can't comment on beverage options, sorry.

Last edited by aaupgrade; Oct 19, 2019 at 12:08 pm
Old Oct 19, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Delta GM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz President's Circle
As an EXP flying internationally, you will have access to Flagship Check-in (regardless of the class you're flying, as it were).

The BA Galleries First lounge will be less crowded than the BA Galleries Club lounge. The food is also usually good and varied there.

I actually find the AA International First lounge in T3 to be reasonably nice (if small-ish), but not if you're looking for a full meal.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by Jonesdds
EXP and flying AA bIz LAX to LHR soon, connecting to LYS with about a four hour layover. Given the lousy food on AA I want to maximize getting some good meals in the lounges. Let me know if I’m missing anything, I think I’ve got a handle on where I can get into and best options. Will have one non elite guest flying with me.

At LAX, given my EXP status I think I’m best going to Qantas First Lounge, I’ve visited it before. Better choice than AA Flagship when no Flagship dining I think, I don’t love the Flagship lounge at LAX. Little off topic but does the EXP status with international biz get me Flagship check in? I don’t think so, maybe things have changed?

On my layover, best food I’m thinking Cathay lounge, is there a separate First and BIz options or just one? Skipping the AA options, obviously. Qantas I’ve heard has a great gin bar I’ve heard, maybe go there for awhile too. Champagne options at both currently? What about BA options, worth it for food and or drink? Am I missing a good option?

You can use Flagship First check in at LAX as EXP for any long haul international flights plus MEX.

definitely go to CX lounge on your return flight in T3 but don’t forget to stop by at admirals club to get a stamp on your boarding pass. By doing so you save time at the gate and completely skip questioning and potential bag search.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
For T3 at LHR - I would go to the CX F Lounge for table service/food. But the quality of the food has went down drastically.
MarJon likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond

At LAX you can use any of the OW Lounges, with the QF First Lounge being the highest end food if no access to the AA FFD. I'd still try both of them.

At LHR, if you are connecting through T3, once again, you have access to all the OW lounges and their F sections. With 4 hours, I would stop by all of them to get your own impressions. They are all within less than 5 minutes apart. Although QF and CX get a lot of raves rightfully, I still like the champagne bar in the BA First Lounge, as well as access to self pour JW Blue and some XO cognac.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
If in T3, CX for food, BA for liquor.

however, four hours is not a ton of time for fully relaxing in CX for a sit down, multi course meal and the transit and still feel relaxed at T5 BA first lounge. You might need to take a train from T5 to the further out gates.

Worth it if you are hungry.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
Has something changed with the BA flights to LYS? When I was looking at options they were showing out of 3. Well crap, that doesn’t sound fun....
Old Oct 19, 2019, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Actually, it does show out of 3, on the app. Someone mentioned on “EF” it shows terminal 5, what is EF?
Old Oct 19, 2019, 5:58 pm

Has something changed with the BA flights to LYS? When I was looking at options they were showing out of 3. Well crap, that doesn’t sound fun....
It is actually from T3 so it’s even better for OP since no bus transfer is involved and CX F lounge access for inbound and outbound legs
beachfan likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I don’t remember a difference between BAs liquor between T3 and T5. But I thought both were better than CX.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Champagne bar mentioned T5 or T3? BA first?

no ones mentioned Qantas gin bar T3, worthwhile? Gin Martini lover here.

of course getting off 11 hr flight to drink feeling like it’s 6-7 am maybe I won’t care. Probably fill up in Qantas LAX lounge and try to go to sleep soon, wake up early, pretending I’m already on European time. Of course the return will be a different story.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 9:21 pm

Not a gin drinker, my comments based on wine, whiskey, cognac, champagne. And Qantas in LHR wasn’t open to yet,

but I’d be interested on hearing about it.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 9:41 pm

Programs: Lots
Although the AA lounge in T3 at LAX is rightfully considered the worst for food / booze I do think it has the best showers which are much appreciated after a flight from LAX. My routine used to be a shower in AA followed by food in CX and then the champers in BA but the last few times I’ve been through i just stay in CX as the quality is similar and the views of the runway are better than any others and for the most part is the quietest.

Really though you can’t go wrong. Even AA isn’t awful and beats a sharp stick in the eye. But why not try them all out and enjoy yourself? Transiting T3 as an EXP with an extended layover is a great experience for those of us who aren’t in a rush to get to our destination and actually enjoy being in airports and lounges.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 4:37 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
off topic to the OP..
how is Santa Barbara, these days, spent 18 years growing up there..
at a time when the 101 had traffic signals, and there was free parking at the beach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.