Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Worth it to upgrade from J to F for 40k miles??

Old Oct 18, 2019, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avios

Hello all,I just checked and I have the ability to upgrade me and my wife using 40000 AA miles for both of us .We will be heading over to the Tokyo on the JFK to NRT all day flight..Is the difference meaningful??
Old Oct 18, 2019, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Tilto007
Hello all,I just checked and I have the ability to upgrade me and my wife using 40000 AA miles for both of us .We will be heading over to the Tokyo on the JFK to NRT all day flight..Is the difference meaningful??
The difference is very meaningful. Much more personalised service, much better food, far more space.

40,000 AA miles seems a bargain.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 2:16 am
mhy

Programs: JGC
To put it in perspective, round trip J between JFK and NRT is between $5000-8000, whereas round trip F is around $23,000-25,000. For 40k miles you get like $9000 value out of it, which I think is a good value.
Tilto007 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 5:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Avios
Thanks,there are many first class JAL reviews on the web but not too many business class.I could not get a good feel of the business class experience as there have been no recent reviews.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I did JAL J on the 787-9 from NRT to FRA and also JAL F from CDG-HND and HND-LHR ( 777-300).

Whilst J was very good , F is considerably above that and well worth the extra miles especially on a long flight such as JFK-NRT and with an all day flight you can enjoy F to the full.

Regards

TBS
Tilto007 and rustykettel like this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 8:50 am

Food in F is very very good.
I would upgrade if I had miles without plans.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 9:09 am
mhy

Programs: JGC
Originally Posted by Tilto007
Thanks,there are many first class JAL reviews on the web but not too many business class.I could not get a good feel of the business class experience as there have been no recent reviews.
Google "JAL Sky Suite JFK-NRT business class" and you'll find a bunch of reviews.

The Sky Suite product used on the 777-300ER route from JFK-NRT is excellent. The window seats are mini-suites and very private (you cannot see any other passengers from your seat) and I found the width to be adequate. You are given a pillow, mattress pad, and comforter. The food is great and the second meal is served whenever you want until about 1h30-2h before arrival. I found the JFK LH lounge to be lacking but I've heard the F lounge is better. If I were you, I would upgrade the NRT-JFK leg rather than JFK-NRT to be able to use the F lounge at NRT and ex-Japan catering, but I am sure JFK-NRT is fantastic as well.
Tilto007 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 9:18 am

With the AA award costs only being a 20k mile difference for F from J it should make the strategy try to book F and don't be disappointed if you can only find J availability. F is really a no brainer for 20k miles.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.