Wiki Posts
Search

KLM Europe Boarding Rant

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2019, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB Plat, FPC Plat
KLM Europe Boarding Rant

Flying full-rack J with some segments inter-europe..

This has probably been discussed to death but is it really so hard to call business class first? I had three segments inter-europe, from CDG, AMS and BCN....not one of them called zone 1/business class first. Furthermore, there's 50 pax in the sky priority line....where is the differentiation here?

Feeling frustrated at CDG I went up to the line agent, advised that I was in business, Zone 1....and she advised me to get to the back of the sky priority line! And I didn't show up late, I was waiting there the whole time for boarding to begin.

In spite I decide to board last, deciding that the FA can deal with my carry-on if there is any space issue, IDGAF at this point. I get on the plane and there are 2 others in biz...so probably not a huge deal to call biz first, right? Seriously, is it so hard to give your business class passengers some courtesy?

What am I paying for here? Super frustrating. This hasn't changed in years and I'm frankly sick of it.

/rant
Thysk likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 4:47 pm

Programs: FB Plat, BA Bronze, Hotels.com
glennhaak likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last week in AMS I was paged by the gate agent, who said I could skip the Priorty line and board with the gaggle of pax with mobility problems already seated at the jetway. That was definitely a first!

Johan
The doomed and Thysk like this.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I hate it when, for example at certain AMS gates (and I'm not talking about bus gates), KLM says boarding when they really mean admission to a holding pen. There might be a SkyPriority line for the holding pen, when boarding passes are scanned, but nothing but a disorganized mess of gate lice at the entry to the jetway.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I hate it when, for example at certain AMS gates (and I'm not talking about bus gates), KLM says boarding when they really mean admission to a holding pen. There might be a SkyPriority line for the holding pen, when boarding passes are scanned, but nothing but a disorganized mess of gate lice at the entry to the jetway.
This is now also the regular boarding procedure with AF and I hate it. They start boarding and you're stuck in the jetway for another 5 to 10 min. Super funny in winter and summer...
Old Oct 19, 2019, 3:47 am
Original Poster

Doomed, are you not experiencing the same issues?
Old Oct 19, 2019, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
That holding pen is a major bugbear at AMS, almost as bad as the morons marshalling people at passport control.
PeteM01 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA Gold
...gate lice...
I find the term gate lice offensive and inconsiderate.
thijsseh likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hotelboy

Johan
Old Oct 19, 2019, 2:21 pm

Programs: IC Amb.,FB,Hertz,Sixt
My experience of flying biz with AF (within EU) is that they call group 1 to board before other SP pax and in CDG have a separate line for them. KLM just have a general SP line that all boards together, have been wondering why there are so many SP pax in last year or so ?
Old Oct 20, 2019, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by ninjalad
My experience of flying biz with AF (within EU) is that they call group 1 to board before other SP pax and in CDG have a separate line for them. KLM just have a general SP line that all boards together, have been wondering why there are so many SP pax in last year or so ?
1 J-class long-long haul RT with a connection, and you already have silver status.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: FB Plat, BA Bronze, Hotels.com
Originally Posted by harpu4
Doomed, are you not experiencing the same issues?
Never been on a KL flight where Zone 1 is boarded first (ahead of SP). Is there anything that outlines zone 1 must board ahead of zone 2?

Most airports in Europe also let silver/ST elite board at same time as zones 1/2. Which is why the line is a busy. That's probably the main cause of your angst.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 2:35 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Originally Posted by Djokison
1 J-class long-long haul RT with a connection, and you already have silver status.
SkyPriority isn't Silver boarding. That's Skyteam Elite, not Skyteam Elite+.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by harpu4
This has probably been discussed to death but is it really so hard to call business class first?
In America they call business class "First"

;-)
Old Oct 21, 2019, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

I'm honestly not sure if the sign says Zone 1 first (will take a close look next time and take a pic), however it stands to reason that they should be boarding business class passengers first, ahead of economy (regardless of status), this is part of what business class passengers are paying for. KL is basically saying FB silver and business class are equal when it comes to boarding order. Doesn't make much sense to me.

This is what it says on the website: https://www.klm.com/travel/gb_en/pre...ents/index.htm

"Prior to the boarding process, we invite passengers with reduced mobility and families with babies under the age of 2 to pre-board first. They are directly followed by our Business Class and SkyPriority passengers.

At many airports, we use zone boarding. Your zone is stated on your boarding pass and depends on your travel class, fare type and frequent flyer level. Passengers in zone 1 are the first to board, followed by zones 2 through 5."

Last edited by harpu4; Oct 21, 2019 at 1:21 pm Reason: added quote from KLM site

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.