Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Getting Bonvoyed on fifth night free awards?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2019, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HIlton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Southwest

Just booked a five night award stay for 120,000 points, and noticed that the default setting for someone who has a free night e-certificate available is to use that certificate for the first night and then pay the same 120,000 points (30,000 per night) for the next four nights of the stay. Obviously, this would totally negate the value of that certificate and make it impossible to use elsewhere. It would be very easy for anyone who is not very familiar with the program to get tricked into doing this. Just one more way we've been Bonvoyed!
Old Oct 18, 2019, 2:18 pm

Programs: Marriott: Titanium, SQ: Gold, UA: Silver, Hilton: Diamond, Wyndham - Diamond, TR - Diamond
I recently thought I booked a one night point stay at 12500 points. A few days after check out I noticed my 35k cert was gone. Must have been something like you are pointing out here. Calling today, hope I can get it restored. I can't remember how the cert or points come up when reserving, but to have it default to the 35k cert when one is searching for points stays is a sham. Very annoyed.

Edit: I just called and they said the 12500 point reservation was canceled. Not sure exactly what happened. I sure would remember canceling it and impossible that I would have changed it to the 35k cert. Nothing makes sense. They opened a case to try and have the 35k cert restored and 12,500 points used. Hope for the best.

Last edited by kalo93406; Oct 18, 2019 at 2:48 pm
Old Oct 18, 2019, 4:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I noticed something strange when I made two points reservations this week. One of them (legacy SPG/Starwood) invited me to attach the cert and have points deducted now, which would guarantee the rate (in points) while I can't find a way to do the same thing for the other reservation (legacy Marriott, in the same country), despite having lots of points in my account. It doesn't make sense.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 1:19 am

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by freebee
Just booked a five night award stay for 120,000 points, and noticed that the default setting for someone who has a free night e-certificate available is to use that certificate for the first night and then pay the same 120,000 points (30,000 per night) for the next four nights of the stay. Obviously, this would totally negate the value of that certificate and make it impossible to use elsewhere. It would be very easy for anyone who is not very familiar with the program to get tricked into doing this. Just one more way we've been Bonvoyed!
correct me if I'm wrong but do those e-certs not expire? Points on the other hand DONT expire. Thats how I would want the system to be set up personally - try to burn, by default, the thing that is 'use it or lose it'. It just so happens that a 5 night award stay is not the stay you would want to do that on. but on any other length of stay, the default would/could be helping you out.

Not something to get worked up about imho.
Happy and margarita girl like this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 1:53 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by kalo93406
I recently thought I booked a one night point stay at 12500 points. A few days after check out I noticed my 35k cert was gone. Must have been something like you are pointing out here. Calling today, hope I can get it restored. I can't remember how the cert or points come up when reserving, but to have it default to the 35k cert when one is searching for points stays is a sham. Very annoyed.

Edit: I just called and they said the 12500 point reservation was canceled. Not sure exactly what happened. I sure would remember canceling it and impossible that I would have changed it to the 35k cert. Nothing makes sense. They opened a case to try and have the 35k cert restored and 12,500 points used. Hope for the best.
Or people can just take five seconds and look at the reservation details before they click book, or check their account any time between the booking date and the stay date and see their certificate is gone
EuropeanPete, Happy, cre95 and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 7:43 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Thanks for the heads up, freebee. I'll be reserving a 5-night award stay soon. Nice to be forewarned.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 7:45 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat

When you make an award reservation that can be covered by a cert in your account-that is the default-but the system shows you before confirmation and you can opt for points instead by clicking a radio button.
kalo93406, Horace and Happy like this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by stant
correct me if I'm wrong but do those e-certs not expire? Points on the other hand DONT expire. Thats how I would want the system to be set up personally - try to burn, by default, the thing that is 'use it or lose it'. It just so happens that a 5 night award stay is not the stay you would want to do that on. but on any other length of stay, the default would/could be helping you out.

Not something to get worked up about imho.
While true, it is very poor value to use an e-cert (and lose 5th night free). The only time it would make sense is when the e-cert is very close to expiry (and it's use it or lose it). So setting up your "preferred" way isn't appropriate for Jan - Sep... or something like that. It only makes sense late in the year, and then, only if you're not going to be able to use the e-cert on a standalone 1 or two day ressie.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Originally Posted by freebee
Review the booking options carefully before confirming would clear away all the accidental certificate use. Really, people ought to pay attention before any hotel booking is confirmed.
Happy likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes
Review the booking options carefully before confirming would clear away all the accidental certificate use. Really, people ought to pay attention before any hotel booking is confirmed.
Certainly, that's the way a good rewards program ought to work.
kalo93406 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 1:18 pm

Programs: Marriott: Titanium, SQ: Gold, UA: Silver, Hilton: Diamond, Wyndham - Diamond, TR - Diamond
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Or people can just take five seconds and look at the reservation details before they click book, or check their account any time between the booking date and the stay date and see their certificate is gone
There was no reason to check my account for the cert being gone when I thought I made the reservation with points. The reservation was just a few days earlier. Usually was doing everything on my phone and I cant even remember seeing those certs there. Perhaps I made a mistake I didn't think I made, wouldn't be the first time! Strange that in my account activity page it shows that reservation as being canceled.. After about 140 nights this year, with a lot of cancellations and changes in plans, I'm happy I didn't make more mistakes. As I get older unfortunately more are bound to happen..

Last edited by kalo93406; Oct 19, 2019 at 1:36 pm
Old Oct 19, 2019, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by stant
Points stays and a free night cert could and should IMO be separate process. Why would I want a free night cert default when I click and intend to book a points stay?
Old Oct 19, 2019, 1:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Points stays and a free night cert could and should IMO be separate process. Why would I want a free night cert default when I click and intend to book a points stay?
Making two separate processes makes the site even more tedious than it already is, in the same way you can't search for multiple rates at a time. It's much easier to have one process with the payment (certificate or points) at the end. This also allows you to mix certificate+points in a single stay.
Happy likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Making two separate processes makes the site even more tedious than it already is, in the same way you can't search for multiple rates at a time. It's much easier to have one process with the payment (certificate or points) at the end. This also allows you to mix certificate+points in a single stay.
At some point one will need to click for the desired outcome. There is NO reason it can't happen at the start of the process. Points, cert, combo, AAA, etc. A default to something you clearly don't want doesn't make any sense to me. I just noticed when booking via a browser the check box says "Use Points/Certificates". Did that recently just say "Use Points" only? I was thinking so. App still says "Marriott Bonvoy Points".

Last edited by kalo93406; Oct 19, 2019 at 2:25 pm
Old Oct 19, 2019, 2:19 pm

The flip side is that someone wants to use the certificate but used points instead and their certificate then expired.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.