Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2019, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
creative uses for RPU, GPU, and miles?

since we all recognize that CPU are useless
- although I have been able to share them with friends on rare occassions
and GPU are very random
and miles are becoming less and less helpful and valuable for tickets, upgrades, etc

thoughts on using the merchandise?
other uses for CPU/GPU that are legal (per UA rules)

what are others doing?
...not like I have tons, but I see them in my account getting less and less useful

-m

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 18, 2019 at 1:39 pm Reason: updated title per OP statement
Old Oct 18, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by mfirst
since we all recognize that CPU are useless
- although I have been able to share them with friends on rare occassions
and GPU are very random
and miles are becoming less and less helpful and valuable for tickets, upgrades, etc

thoughts on using the merchandise?
other uses for CPU/GPU that are legal (per UA rules)

what are others doing?
...not like I have tons, but I see them in my account getting less and less useful

-m
I think you mean RPU (regional premier upgrades). CPUs are the totally free upgrades, with priority supposedly based on fare paid and status.
I haven't gotten a CPU in 12 months. I have been able to use 2 RPUs in the last 12 months, but they are indeed essentially worthless to me.

I don't have any ideas for you to use the RPUs because domestic F is just slammed these days. GPUs are still useful if you have some flexibility in your international travel schedule.

Good Luck!
Old Oct 18, 2019, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Yes, rpu - Sorry.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can't see that there's much room for creativity aside from offering them to friends or family. Some people have reported gifting to strangers at the airport, but I don't think many do that.

There will be a bit more flexibility when they implement the PlusPoints upgrade scheme.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I gave my RPU to family this year and was pleasantly surprised how often they cleared in situations where I would not have risked it. They are a much more useful instrument when pushing a pax from no status to RPU priority, than from 1K CPU (which is a fairly minor jump). And unlike GPU, it's not worth planning travel just to account for using them -- once accounting for effort it's far cheaper to just buy F.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 1:22 pm

Check out the coupon connection forum.

Last edited by leonidas; Oct 18, 2019 at 1:32 pm
Old Oct 18, 2019, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Wait until December when they turn into points, and then use them (both GPUs and RPUs) to upgrade some G fares to Singapore!

Originally Posted by leonidas
Check out the coupon connection forum.
The OP does not have access to CC due to lack of posts.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

I am definitely not interested - regardless of details - of getting UA upset with me for any reason
just wondering what people are using GPU, RPU, miles for besides struggling for upgrades
nothing exciting on the merchandise front - but are there ant "good buys" there?

although interestingly, I find that when I give them away, they are more likely to clear than when I try to use them myself - but maybe that is a function of the flights that I take vs my family and friends?

-m
Old Oct 18, 2019, 6:28 pm

What about applying an upgrade instrument for a flight like CPT > EWR > SFO > SYD? IIRC that will count as one GPU and you'll be in Polaris for dozens of hours!

-James
Old Oct 18, 2019, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

James,
excellent idea - and too bad I didnt think about it before I took my Cape Town to Sydney trip via Newark and SF last week in E- ...... sorry about the implied sarcasm, but you made me laugh and I appreciate that - so, thank you,

-michael
Old Oct 18, 2019, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by mfirst
James,
excellent idea - and too bad I didnt think about it before I took my Cape Town to Sydney trip via Newark and SF last week in E- ...... sorry about the implied sarcasm, but you made me laugh and I appreciate that - so, thank you,

-michael
Don't laugh. Some people actually do that, I for one plan to be flying LHR > LAX > SYD on UA and applying a MilageUpgrade award to hopefully get pushed into Polaris J for the whole thing! 35,000 miles + $650 co-pay on a k fare doesn't sound too bad

-James
Old Oct 18, 2019, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

i know, I agree - maybe that's why we have accumulated so many of these 'coupons' - because we are crazy enough to schedule flights like Newark to Frankfurt via Singapore just for the extra miles or the sit in Polaris a little longer.... I have done a few such things - not to mention getting those extra BIS miles......

the problem is that more and more - the ability to use these tools are harder (useless?) and less predictable.....
what happens if you dont get pushed into J?

I recently had a flight from DEN-DCA (and posted the details and questions elsewhere - but it got moved) in E+. Was #2 on the upgrade list as a 1k and trying to use a RPU - but there was only 1 seat. Got "offered" (gee, thanks) the options of paying to upgrade for $192 for the last seat...... I am sure the guy who was first on the list was not happy....yes, maybe the new points system will help with this......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.