Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I go back and offer a "bid to VDB"

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2019, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Can I go back and offer a "bid to VDB"

At OLCI this morning I was prompted with the page where I can bid how much it would take to VDB, and I declined because I didn't think my wife would be interested. She now said we might as well since our plans are flexible, but is there a way to go back and enter that? Or will I have to wait until arriving at the airport or even the gate if they still need volunteers? She'd rather know sooner than later, but I believe even if I had put in values initially we wouldn't know until boarding tomorrow anyway.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 11:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
No, you won't know before the flight is almost finished boarding at the gate, with very few exceptions.....and note that most of the time when DL solicits bids for VDB, they end up not needing any seats.

However, have you tried just repeating the OLCI process?

If there's any chance that you might be interested in a VDB, it makes sense to enter something at OLCI since you're not obligated to take an offer. In the meantime, you can research alternate flights.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 11:10 am

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I've only ever seen the VDB solicitation at airport. You will get the offer again if reprinting BP on kiosk, do make yourself known at the gate as well with your preferred reroute in hand.
Duke787 and acrophobia like this.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 12:01 pm

Try to online check in again using the full website (not the app). 80% of the time, you won't know if you will be needed until all pax have boarded. You will be asked to board last. I always go talk to the GA when I arrive and ask what the situation is and they usually have a pretty good sense of "we will definitely need you, maybe need you, or its unlikely."
Old Oct 18, 2019, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I've done the VDB thing at check-in before but the only time I ever actually received a VDB it was a podium ask (no idea if they looked at the system) and I was first to the counter to take the offer
Old Oct 18, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: Skymiles Gold
Just go to the gate agent and ask if they need any volunteers. I don't think the bidding at check-in actually does anything.
pgh234 likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by Weekend Away
Just go to the gate agent and ask if they need any volunteers. I don't think the bidding at check-in actually does anything.
The bidding at check-in gives Delta data for how much to offer on the now-rare occasions when VDB is still needed. There were definitely a couple press releases to this effect when it was rolled out years ago.

As other have said, you can hit Check In on desktop again and the screen will pull up during the recheck process, but this list doesn't seem to do much come gametime. Best to ID yourself as interested to GAs 45min-1hr before flight and see if they ask you to board last.

You can also keep up with EF or BCD to see how many seats are still being sold. Keep in mind, even for fully zero'd out flights, VDBs are rare these days.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ekozie
The bidding at check-in gives Delta data for how much to offer on the now-rare occasions when VDB is still needed. There were definitely a couple press releases to this effect when it was rolled out years ago.

As other have said, you can hit Check In on desktop again and the screen will pull up during the recheck process, but this list doesn't seem to do much come gametime. Best to ID yourself as interested to GAs 45min-1hr before flight and see if they ask you to board last.

You can also keep up with EF or BCD to see how many seats are still being sold. Keep in mind, even for fully zero'd out flights, VDBs are rare these days.
When did VDBs become rare?

IDB is for sure in the post-Dao era but VDB is definitely still a thing as a way to avoid the IDB situation and VDB is what the check-in offer is aimed at.

In all of 2018, DL had 125k+ VDBs (34% of all VDBs across the top 10 US airlines)

On-time and VDB/IDB for 2018 from the DOT
Old Oct 18, 2019, 1:12 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks

I have religiously made $6k per year in VBDs for the past decade (up to $5k already this year). Always check with the GA. Bid list is useless (thankfully). I don't even fly that frequently. Once or twice per month.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
Originally Posted by pgh234
I have religiously made $6k per year in VBDs for the past decade (up to $5k already this year). Always check with the GA. Bid list is useless (thankfully). I don't even fly that frequently. Once or twice per month.
maybe that’s a business model, book one way basic economy on high vdb flights from your home town , head to the airport and wait by the gate

when you get called , get paid, if you don’t get called just eat your BE fare and go home
Old Oct 18, 2019, 1:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I don't think the VDB rates are high enough for this to work to someone's profit on average, even if BE fares are cheap, and many BE fares have advanced purchase requirements that would make it hard to pick full flights.

Also, if you do take the VDB, you pretty much have to take the new flight DL gives you to be compensated. You can't book refundable fares, grab the money (VDB payments), and cancel the tickets.
hhdl likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 2:00 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by Duke787
When did VDBs become rare?

IDB is for sure in the post-Dao era but VDB is definitely still a thing as a way to avoid the IDB situation and VDB is what the check-in offer is aimed at.

In all of 2018, DL had 125k+ VDBs (34% of all VDBs across the top 10 US airlines)

On-time and VDB/IDB for 2018 from the DOT
I pulled the data for a couple years (not every year to save time) and converted the VDB rate into per 10,000 pax (**Data from some of the early teens is questionable as to whether regionals are included.):

2018: 5.89
2017: 9.70
2016: 10.04
2015: 11.63
2014: 9.31
2013: 7.59
2012: 11.69
2011: 10.13
2010: 11.07
PMDL (not including regional) 2009: 9.23
PMDL (not including regional) 2008: 9.47
PMDL (not including regional) 2007: 11.69 (IDBs were a whopping 2.47 this year)
PMDL (not including regional) 2006: 12.87
PMDL (not including regional) 2005: 11.07

Data is beautiful.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I pulled the data for a couple years (not every year to save time) and converted the VDB rate into per 10,000 pax (**Data from some of the early teens is questionable as to whether regionals are included.):

2018: 5.89
2017: 9.70
2016: 10.04
2015: 11.63
2014: 9.31
2013: 7.59
2012: 11.69
2011: 10.13
2010: 11.07
PMDL (not including regional) 2009: 9.23
PMDL (not including regional) 2008: 9.47
PMDL (not including regional) 2007: 11.69 (IDBs were a whopping 2.47 this year)
PMDL (not including regional) 2006: 12.87
PMDL (not including regional) 2005: 11.07

Data is beautiful.
Not sure where you got the 2018 number from -- the DOT data I linked you to says 7.13. Still not sure how that's virtually zero?

In 2018 that would make DL higher than:

UA: 4.97
AA: 5.74
WN: 1.33
AS: 2.76
HA: 1.03
B6: 0.65

The only airline in the top 10 DL doesn't beat per 10k in 2018 is Spirit coming in at 7.84 -- so DL might be trending down against their own history but getting a VDB on DL is still more likely than any other US airline apart from Spirit
Old Oct 18, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Originally Posted by Jimmie Jet
maybe that’s a business model, book one way basic economy on high vdb flights from your home town , head to the airport and wait by the gate

when you get called , get paid, if you don’t get called just eat your BE fare and go home
I could be mixing things up, but I could swear there was a story from a few years back about someone getting in trouble for doing exactly that.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
Originally Posted by acrophobia
I could be mixing things up, but I could swear there was a story from a few years back about someone getting in trouble for doing exactly that.
and if you have lounge access you could be fed, watered and making $$$ on vdb

I can not see how this would not work.......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.