Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New here - and a question on getting MQM's

Old Oct 18, 2019, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta

Just started traveling again and loving the info shared on this site. I have a question on Delta MQM's and possible solutions to earning silver status before year end.

What I'm seeing is that I'm going to miss getting to silver status by year end. I will easily meet MQD requirements, but I'm going to fall short 5-6k MQM's. MQS's are probably not a viable goal (14 to go).

I just got the Delta Plat AMEX business card. I believe that if I hit $25k spending on my AMEX, I'll get 10k bonus MQM's - putting me over the top. I don't think I'll spend this much on regular expenses before end of year...I'm estimating I'll be about $7k short of spending to hit 25k. BUT - what if I were to buy $7k of AMEX gift cards on my credit card to get to $25k? I will use the gift cards for sure but not all at once. Is there any policy or other hurdle I'm not seeing that would prevent me from doing this?

It's either that or take some unnecessary flights to get the MQM's? Anyone know of a cheap first class flight leaving ATL to somewhere domestic (1500 miles or so)? I think that would put me over the top too. Can someone recommend a way to search flights leaving from a specific location and filter just first class, and show all possible destinations with pricing? Google flights does some of this, but not exactly.

If anyone has input on the "buying AMEX gift card" strategy or other ideas on how to get MQM's, I'd appreciate the help.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
If you are planning to buy directly from AMEX, they won't count gift card purchases towards minimum spend (at least at last check). There are a number of tactics discussed in here for manufactured spend you could pursue: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manu...-spending-719/

Honestly IMO it is not worth your time or effort for FO.

The DL AMEX Plat gets you 95% of FO benefits (MC1, free bags -- just no free preferred seats or C+/F upgrades) and you are better of just saving the money and time to buy up to C+/F on the flights you are taking next year -- and as an FO you would only get F very rarely so really it's just buying up to C+ which comes with perks that exceed the FO benefits anyway
arameth likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Google Flights will bring up a map showing pricing when you leave destination blank and you can select First Class and Skyteam to limit it to Delta flights. You do have to pick dates, but this is generally not too hard. Assuming you want to go on a weekend, pick a Sat departure and Sun return (or Sat return if you are okay with same day or red-eye return from west coast) at least 2-3 weeks (the cheapest fares generally have a 3-week advance purchase requirement) out or so and avoid periods around Thanksgiving and Christmas as flights are much higher then. I see ATL-GEG in FC for $750 roundtrip on Nov 9-10. Also possible to so some same day turns for same price mid-week during the week of the 10th. With MSP routing and 50% FC MQM bonus this earns about 6K MQM's.
arameth likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 10:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You seem to have a new DL AmEx card. Does it have some welcome bonus for spending on it in the first few months in addition to the 10,000 MQMs for $25,000 spend in a calendar year? Unless you had the business Plat card previously, you probably had a 5,000 MQM welcome offer, but check very carefully.

IMO if you're going to spend time and money flying somewhere for status, you should pick a destination where you can enjoy spending a weekend.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 1:14 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Welcome to Flyertalk!

Gift cards and cash equivalents are not supposed to count towards spending for your welcome bonus, so it's not worth risking. Amex has a whole team called the "RAT" that watched for what they consider ineligible charges. If you read on flyertalk there is a whole forum for "MS" or "Manufactured Spending" with tips like prepaying your federal taxes (there is a fee for doing this).

Google tells me your Amex welcome bonus should be 5,000 MQM if you spend $1000 in the first three months. Do you have that bonus, and if so is that accounted for in your 6k shortage, or would you actually be only 1k shy of silver medallion after the sign up bonus? Do you have any existing flights booked you can upgrade to first class (for the 50% MQM bonus)?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 1:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Gig103
Welcome to Flyertalk!

Gift cards and cash equivalents are not supposed to count towards spending for your welcome bonus, so it's not worth risking. Amex has a whole team called the "RAT" that watched for what they consider ineligible charges. If you read on flyertalk there is a whole forum for "MS" or "Manufactured Spending" with tips like prepaying your federal taxes (there is a fee for doing this).

Google tells me your Amex welcome bonus should be 5,000 MQM if you spend $1000 in the first three months. Do you have that bonus, and if so is that accounted for in your 6k shortage, or would you actually be only 1k shy of silver medallion after the sign up bonus? Do you have any existing flights booked you can upgrade to first class (for the 50% MQM bonus)?
The bonus should be.....but only if the OP signed up for the card under that offer and hasn't (lifetime) had a DL Plat business card before, regardless of whether it received any bonuses.

I fully agree with the advice not to do MS with AmEx. It's too risky and the rules are quite clear that cash equivalents don't count, including gift cards (presumably of all varieties, which means that even if stuff seems to go through, the MQMs could be clawed back later, when it's too late to do something to get what's needed for status).
Old Oct 18, 2019, 6:17 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
If you are that close then you can just open either the business or personal of the same card. You will be able to hit the minimum and get your 5 MQM.
Alternatively just throw a few charges on PlastiQ - yes you pay like 1-2 % but to get Silver I would say it's worth it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.