Wiki Posts
Search

2 International Flight Questions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2019, 9:53 am
Original Poster

2 International Flight Questions

2 quick questions - BTW I am Gold Medallion

1. Do you get Delta Sky Lounge access on International flights with GM?
2. With GM, are you eligible for Delta One upgrades on International flights?

Thanks
Old Oct 18, 2019, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mumaluke
2 quick questions - BTW I am Gold Medallion

1. Do you get Delta Sky Lounge access on International flights with GM?
2. With GM, are you eligible for Delta One upgrades on International flights?

Thanks
You get access to Delta Skyclubs and Skyteam member lounges on international reservations. Caribbean is excluded for this purpose.

No. No program offers free international long haul upgrades.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 10:03 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
There are operational upgrades due to coach oversells, but it would be miraculous to score one at the GM level.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Lounge access is a little tricky with Delta at international airports. If you're flying Delta Main Cabin as a GM, you can access SkyClubs and SkyTeam (member or alliance-run) lounges. However, if Delta only has a contract lounge at that location you will not get access. If you're flying another SkyTeam carrier in coach, you typically will get access even if the lounge is a contract lounge.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
+1 to everything said.

Not to get your hopes up but my one and only op-up was on CDG - RDU as a then GM (the flight in question actually pushed me to PM but was not officially PM in the system) when I got an op-up at the gate which was a very pleasant surprise.

So it is theoretically possible but in reality you should expect to fly in the cabin you book (or potentially C+ if there is availability at the GM window)
Old Oct 18, 2019, 10:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
To be clear, operational upgrades are for the operational convenience of the carrier and not part of the SM program. One might be used if the flight is overbooked in Y or C+ and at risk of oversale and there is a D1 seat to be had. Better to bump someone up to D1 rather than denying boarding.

But, if there isn't a reason, DL will send the D1 seats out empty before it gives them away.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 6:18 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Wait so even diamond Delta wont get updgraded on an international fare ? that sucks
Old Oct 18, 2019, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by airplanepeanuts
Wait so even diamond Delta wont get updgraded on an international fare ? that sucks
No airline does this. Otherwise no one would pay thousands for business. Not sure how that sucks.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
No airline does this. Otherwise no one would pay thousands for business. Not sure how that sucks.
And if it does, then every airline on the planet...sucks. Status, particularly high status, with an airlines FF program often (almost invariably?) gives the means to apply for supported upgrades on international flights...through Upgrade certificates or some other similar device. Some (many?) airlines also prioritise miles/points upgrades BY status....so the chance of it clearing increase as you go up the status ladder.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 3:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by trooper
And if it does, then every airline on the planet...sucks. Status, particularly high status, with an airlines FF program often (almost invariably?) gives the means to apply for supported upgrades on international flights...through Upgrade certificates or some other similar device. Some (many?) airlines also prioritise miles/points upgrades BY status....so the chance of it clearing increase as you go up the status ladder.
......amd some airlines encourage customers to "bid" (cash) for upgrades while others sell "cheap" upgrades either during OLCI or at the airport on the day of departure. I suspect that the majority of airlines worldwide don't have mechanisms for elites to get instrument supported upgrades beyond any instrument supported upgrades that are made available to nonelites.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 5:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
US carriers on domestic flights are the worldwide outliers with their freebie upgrades. And it largely shows in domestic premium cabins.

The reason that DL, just like pretty much every other carrier, does not give away its D1 seats is that it damages the premium brand. It is intended to be more expensive for a reason.
hhdl and gooselee like this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 5:45 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
It sucks because that would be sweet
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Old Oct 19, 2019, 6:24 am

Programs: Lots
Just to clarify for the OP, there are some international flights where complimentary upgrades are possible - Canada, Mexico, Central America, Caribbean, and I believe at least some of Northern South America all get Medallion upgrades same as most domestic flights.

It’s the long-haul flights people are referring to here - trans-oceanic and to the rest of South America.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 10:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by IggySD
Just to clarify for the OP, there are some international flights where complimentary upgrades are possible - Canada, Mexico, Central America, Caribbean, and I believe at least some of Northern South America all get Medallion upgrades same as most domestic flights.

It’s the long-haul flights people are referring to here - trans-oceanic and to the rest of South America.
OP said D1 international. The international routes having free elite upgrades aren't marketed as D1.

It would help if the OP has specified the routes of interest or even the regions.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by airplanepeanuts
It sucks because that would be sweet
It sucks that I don’t have a diamond mine in my backyard, because that would be sweet.
Often1, gooselee, trooper and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.