Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Sitting in Premium Plus on non-Premium Plus flight

Old Oct 18, 2019, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Looking at a future itinerary, I had a regular seat in E+. Aircraft is 777-200 legacy UA international configuration.

Sometime in the last week the aircraft was swapped out to a 777-200 with the new Polaris seats and Premium Plus section. Except this is a non Premium Plus route.

It seems the Prem Plus seats are being offered as regular E+. So I selected one and it is confirmed.

Is there any risk to this? I don’t want to lose my seat and get stuck in an E+ middle at the last minute.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 6:45 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ualboston1k
It seems the Prem Plus seats are being offered as regular E+. So I selected one and it is confirmed.

Is there any risk to this? I don’t want to lose my seat and get stuck in an E+ middle at the last minute.
As long as the route is not changed to a PP route, you will be fine. However, the aircraft type can change back to non-PP equipped.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 6:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
There was a similar report recently on a NRT-IAH flight (non PP flight). Someone purchased 2 E+ seats and one of the selected seats was in PP seats. Then UA bumped them back to regular E+.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 6:53 am

Programs: UA:MM 1K HH:Diamond IHG:Plat Marriott:Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
As long as the route is not changed to a PP route, you will be fine. However, the aircraft type can change back to non-PP equipped.
Yes. Just like WineCountryUA said. One additional thing to watch out for. The aircraft swaps might be frequent and your seat assignment might change randomly to an E- middle. You need to watch the flights every few hours to keep your assignment.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 6:55 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
There was a similar report recently on a NRT-IAH flight (non PP flight). Someone purchased 2 E+ seats and one of the selected seats was in PP seats. Then UA bumped them back to regular E+.
No that is incorrect, the poster updated the report to say the individual asked for a switch to sit with a traveling companion.

bumped down from premium+ seat (non-PP route) to economy+, not getting refund?
narvik and Often1 like this.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The biggest risk is that you will start wishing this happens for all of your 772 flights.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fumje
The biggest risk is that you will start wishing this happens for all of your 772 flights.
Ha. Yup.

thanks everyone. I’m a 1K so I’m hoping the seat sticks. Seat map shows it as E+ but it is row 21 of the 777 with the 2-4-2 layout vs 3-4-3 a few rows further back. So I know it’s the PP seats.

Fingers crossed the aircraft won’t be swapped out again. Fingers crossed even more than my upgrade clears with my GPU. But that chance seems to be dwindling by the day / hour.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 7:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
No that is incorrect, the poster updated the report to say the individual asked for a switch to sit with a traveling companion.

bumped down from premium+ seat (non-PP route) to economy+, not getting refund?
Has this been updated? In the other thread, the OP had clarified that the UA agent had asked the passengers whether they wanted to sit together. When they said yes, the agent moved one of them from the PP seat (that had cost more) back to a regular middle Y+ seat, without any warning that this was being done. Unless something has changed recently, there's no indication that the passengers requested the change.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 7:19 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by ualboston1k
Ha. Yup.

thanks everyone. I’m a 1K so I’m hoping the seat sticks. Seat map shows it as E+ but it is row 21 of the 777 with the 2-4-2 layout vs 3-4-3 a few rows further back. So I know it’s the PP seats.

Fingers crossed the aircraft won’t be swapped out again. Fingers crossed even more than my upgrade clears with my GPU. But that chance seems to be dwindling by the day / hour.
Aisle seats D and G in PP still map to aisle seats in the 3-3-3 config so those might be safest. Aisle seat K in PP would, strangely, map to a window seat in the 3-3-3 config.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Has this been updated? In the other thread, the OP had clarified that the UA agent had asked the passengers whether they wanted to sit together. When they said yes, the agent moved one of them from the PP seat (that had cost more) back to a regular middle Y+ seat, without any warning that this was being done. Unless something has changed recently, there's no indication that the passengers requested the change.
There is plenty of opinions on the motivations of the passengers and the agent and there is no reason to start another discussion on this -- except the implication UA arbitrarily "bumped" the passenger is inaccurate.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I have sat in PE three times now on the 777 when the equipment changed. It’s a significant upgrade from regular E+, but the newly refitted 777s are a significant downgrade from the unchanged ones and are very uncomfortable if you don’t get a PE seat.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Which simply means for the OP that YES there is risk of being given a worse seat. Personally, I wouldn't be doing what OP did until closer in, if at all. Middle seats on long haul are a no go.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA- Pl (2MM), AA-Go, Delta-Silver, Hyatt-Globalist!, MR/SPG comb - Plat, Hilton - nada
I think this happened to me yesterday on UA 988 FRA-IAD.
I don't keep up with the UA stuff as much as I used to - now that I fly primarily Gov fares

I thought I was in E+ - seat 21C.
When I did the online check-in I was surprised that it showed me a section that was 2-4-2 seating - so I selected 21B. I'm so "out of it" I didn't even know that was PP.
When I boarded - I started to walk right by the small PP section (because I didn't think I was there...) - but to my surprise I was!

So was that just a non-desig PP flight? I didn't get it just for being Prem Plat did I?
Old Oct 18, 2019, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rwm818
I think this happened to me yesterday on UA 988 FRA-IAD.
I don't keep up with the UA stuff as much as I used to - now that I fly primarily Gov fares

I thought I was in E+ - seat 21C.
When I did the online check-in I was surprised that it showed me a section that was 2-4-2 seating - so I selected 21B. I'm so "out of it" I didn't even know that was PP.
When I boarded - I started to walk right by the small PP section (because I didn't think I was there...) - but to my surprise I was!

So was that just a non-desig PP flight? I didn't get it just for being Prem Plat did I?
No they are not selling P+ for IAD/FRA yet.

It appears that starts end of this month.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 1:01 pm

Keeping my fingers crossed. My ORD-FRA 772 tomorrow just got swapped in to the PP aircraft and I manged to pick a seat in the PP section. Will babysit my seat assignment now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.