Delta KIX (Osaka flight ending)

Old Oct 17, 2019, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Delta KIX (Osaka flight ending)

The SEA to KIX flight is ending at the end of October (I think 10/22) - any idea why? The purser on my most recent flight told me that SEA to KIX is seasonal but I scoured all the announcements and there was no mention that it would be seasonal. I flew it a few times. A couple weeks ago we took off for SEA with 5 or 6 empty seats in Delta One.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 7:04 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
It's back in the schedule as of March 31, 2020.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
The SEA to KIX flight is ending at the end of October (I think 10/22) - any idea why? The purser on my most recent flight told me that SEA to KIX is seasonal but I scoured all the announcements and there was no mention that it would be seasonal. I flew it a few times. A couple weeks ago we took off for SEA with 5 or 6 empty seats in Delta One.
They probably made it ambiguous and adjusted the schedule based on demand.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by ab2013
They probably made it ambiguous and adjusted the schedule based on demand.
Demand seemed low on the dates I flew that route. I flew it three times and the aircraft was always 1/3rd or more empty. Surprised it did not catch on. I far prefer Osaka to Tokyo.
FlyingNone likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 7:58 am

Demand seemed low on the dates I flew that route. I flew it three times and the aircraft was always 1/3rd or more empty. Surprised it did not catch on. I far prefer Osaka to Tokyo.
They should have started TPE instead before BR went double daily on it.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: Delta DM for now
They should have started TPE instead before BR went double daily on it.
DL seems wary of anything involving TPE because they don't want to do anything to jeopardize their relationship with the mainland.
Jon of Brooklyn and ryw like this.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 4:23 pm

Programs: HH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, DL-DM, PnF Plat, Kroger +
I have never done this flight. I always do DTW-NGO. I also avoid Tokyo airports, always packed.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
I know that many of you are thinking SEA KIX route, but this thread title is misleading, as DL continues to serve KIX via HNL. Please change the thread title to reflect this.

Jiburi
Old Oct 18, 2019, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by TuxTom
DL seems wary of anything involving TPE because they don't want to do anything to jeopardize their relationship with the mainland.
Doesn’t stop UA.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 7:47 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Source?
Old Oct 18, 2019, 8:13 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Doesn’t stop UA.
UA doesn't really have a close mainland JV partner, though, do they?
Old Oct 18, 2019, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BenA
UA doesn't really have a close mainland JV partner, though, do they?
Air China - not JV but definitely a key *A partner for mainland China and I believe they have a "strategic partnership"
Old Oct 19, 2019, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jiburi
I know that many of you are thinking SEA KIX route, but this thread title is misleading, as DL continues to serve KIX via HNL. Please change the thread title to reflect this.

Jiburi
good point - I never thought of the HNL route... though honestly I don't consider it a real route as it doesn't show up as an option unless you specifically try to book HNL to KIX or vice versa... I've never understood why DL doesn't present it as a possible routing (even if they made it faaaaaarrrrr more expensive) - i.e. if you try to book JFK to KIX or LAX to KIX they never offer a possible routing through HNL. I tried booking it a year ago, and the phone agent said it would be tantamount to two separate tickets and cost way more than connecting through ICN.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 8:54 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
KIX flights are usually not full...far from full even on a smaller 767. Recently, DL started to do connecting flights via KIX between the US to/from others parts of Asia, so this is not surprising at all.

If load factor is an indication, I think SEA to PEK is next on the chopping block. The few times I took that route, the flight is almost always just 2/3 full.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 8:58 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Yup! As someone who fly regularly to TPE, the reason for the TPE cancellation is not a business one, and likely political. NRT to/from TPE was almost always full when they had that daily flight on a 767. I heard it was one of the conditions for buying the stakes in China Eastern. The new routing options via ICN aren't very good schedule-wise, but routing via PVG is more convenient, sans the baggage issue with Shanghai Airlines.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.