Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Restaurant - Buggy experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2019, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Don't think it matters...

Hello,
Was staying in a Hilton property and found a spider hanging around the milk dispenser. I barely noticed it as it decided to taste my cereal and was able to remove my bowl before it could get in. Then informed the waiter and he just removed it from there.
This got me worried about the food safety and hygiene standard in that hotel and hence I dd not stay in that hotel in my subsequent visit.. I am sure this would not be a pleasing experience for anyone.
I wrote to the hotel and even attached pictures, but they have not replied yet (been 2 days ).
Question - Should I just let it go or should I follow up or escalate?
Thx
Old Oct 16, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: WN A+, CP, HH Diamond, National EE
You should definitely escalate and request compensation.
davie355 likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Taco Tuesday
You should definitely escalate and request compensation.
Ok, this was a property I have stayed atleast 30 nights @ > $220 per night in last 3 months (last stay~ $900 for 4 nights), what can I expect or ask for ?
Wondering what's the ideal way to ask too.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 11:48 am

Stuff happens when you travel. Your worries and subsequent actions were based one one spider...seems a bit reactionary to me, especially if you otherwise like the property. No compensation is warranted IMO. You’ve taken your business elsewhere, as is your right. Not sure why you’d belabor the issue.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by smmrfld
Stuff happens when you travel. No compensation warranted IMO.
Hard disagree. Hard disagree. There's a trope on FlyerTalk where cynical "experienced" travelers become accustomed to mistreatment and don't do anything about it.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by davie355
Hard disagree. Hard disagree. There's a trope on FlyerTalk where cynical "experienced" travelers become accustomed to mistreatment and don't do anything about it.

I think it’s called Stockholm Syndrome. This incident didn’t happen at a Hilton In Stockholm by any chance?
glennhaak and RoyalFlush like this.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 12:09 pm

LOL if you consider the appearance of a single spider to be “mistreatment”, you need to get out more. Curious...is there also an FT trope relating to disposition of wayward spiders?
Old Oct 16, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
.is there also an FT trope relating to disposition of wayward spiders?
Right next to the one on making claims for compensation that are wildly unconnected to the "loss" suffered in the incident- under any means of calculating the measure.
smmrfld, etiene and nancypants like this.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

LOL if you consider the appearance of a single spider to be “mistreatment”, you need to get out more. Curious...is there also an FT trope relating to disposition of wayward spiders?
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
Right next to the one on making claims for compensation that are wildly unconnected to the "loss" suffered in the incident- under any means of calculating the measure.
hmmm.. what about the health safety / hygiene aspect? Are they not supposed to keep these stuff out from restaurants and kitchens and get relevant checks and licenses.?
Old Oct 16, 2019, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by abhilife2001
hmmm.. what about the health safety / hygiene aspect? Are they not supposed to keep these stuff out from restaurants and kitchens and get relevant checks and licenses.?
Of course. However one spider (which isn't a sign of cleanliness) is much different from say a cockroach (which is generally a sign of cleanliness). If there was cobwebs you'd have a case for cleanliness issues. A spider by itself may have fallen of clothes of a guest or otherwise been tracked in.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by abhilife2001
Yes they should make efforts to do so. Nothing is certain and 100%.

If it were me a brief complaint/question at the time of the incident would have been made. If that left me still questioning the premises, then I would take my future business elsewhere when possible. There are way too many establishments in the world in most places to sit around and dicker over these small things.

Now, if a black widow crawled across the table followed by a regiment of cockroaches then... ;-)
nancypants and writerguyfl like this.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Hard disagree to your hard disagree. There's also a trope where travelers complain about every little item expecting compensation.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Hard disagree to your hard disagree. There's also a trope where travelers complain about every little item expecting compensation.
Travelers pay for the services they receive. This includes a hygienic environment. If the service paid for is not received then compensation (either goodwill or actual required compensation) is warranted. Anything less is low standards, but I will acknowledge (to shift blame away from Hilton itself) that America has embarrassingly low standards in general.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
How would compensation make you more confident of their 'food safety and hygiene standards'?
Old Oct 16, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond; AA Ex Plat; AS MVP 75K
Curious if black widows and cockroaches fall in the same category. I live on a first floor apartment and spiders are a constant issue in my otherwise spotless home. They have access through the smallest of spaces and rarely find my line of sight - yet if a black widow showed up I'd probably move.

One spider in the communal breakfast area sucks and could probably warrant an apology and maybe a comped night if you really want - but I don't think it is something you can avoid if you spend enough time in one place.
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.