Wiki Posts
Search

LGW/LHR connection

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2019, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL
LGW/LHR connection

On Dec 6 I'm booked UVF->LGW (land's Dec 7 at 09:05); LHR->ZRH on BA0718 dep 15:35. This is the end of a long trip, booked in J, cash booking for 2 upgraded with Joker & GUF2, 2 x UK passport holders, probably with checked luggage, if that matters. This set me up for a relaxed lunch in the CCR, or no lunch if the flight from UVF was delayed. Unfortunately BA0718 has been cancelled. Well, I suspect it's been cancelled as BA have auto-rebooked me onto BA0708 (dep 17:25) which is a LONG wait in LHR and a very late return to ZRH which is pretty inconvenient. There are no BA LCY->ZRH flights on Saturdays, and no LGW to ZRH direct flights that day on any carrier (apart from an ESY one that leaves earlier than the incoming flight lands).

Questions: if I ask them to change the booking to BA716 LHR->ZRH departing at 13:00, then:
  • If the flight from UVF lands on time at 09:05, what is the best way to make it to LHR on time (I'm guessing a private car service)?
  • How likely am I to make it on time?
  • Is there an MCT for LGW/LHR connections and if so is this within it?
  • If I don't make it on time, do BA protect the booking if (a) their flight to LHR is late or (b) if (shock horror) there is a delay on the M25.
I've wondered whether I should be asking BA to book a different way back from UVF to ZRH but I can't immediately find a quicker one anyway even on AA code shares.

Any ideas? I've so far managed to avoid LGW/LHR connections, for good reasons.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I have long suffered the LGW/LHR connections, so I feel your pain!

1. MCT for the airport swap is, IIRC, 3h or 3h30m. From past experience that can be quite tight if things go against you on the motorways (much work on M23 at the moment, but mainly on the hard shoulder).

2. The Dashboard has a thread on the LGW/LHR shuffle ... we now use YoYo Cars. Very good service. https://www.yoyocars.co.uk

3. If the bookings are all on one PNR, BA will protect you.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Heathrow to Gatwick transport options: a pictorial guide
Old Oct 16, 2019, 7:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I'd take the chance, no way would I want to hang about LHR CCR or not until the evening.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by abligh
[list][*]Is there an MCT for LGW/LHR connections and if so is this within it?
Originally Posted by T8191
1. MCT for the airport swap is, IIRC, 3h or 3h30m. From past experience that can be quite tight if things go against you on the motorways (much work on M23 at the moment, but mainly on the hard shoulder).
It's 3:00. Any connection bang on MCT is bound to feel tight. That is kind of the point of being right at the absolute minimum that the airline is prepared to tolerate.

With 0905-1300, you've got 55 minutes more than MCT. And with access to the First Wing, you're not likely to have to make use of the allowance that's already built in to the MCT for passing through normal security.
T8191 and ajeleonard like this.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Thanks for reminding me it’s 3h. These days, after a couple of tense transfers, we never allow less than about 4h, so the OP looks good for that timing.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by abligh
  • If the flight from UVF lands on time at 09:05, what is the best way to make it to LHR on time (I'm guessing a private car service?
[...]
I've wondered whether I should be asking BA to book a different way back from UVF to ZRH but I can't immediately find a quicker one anyway even on AA code shares.
National Express runs non-stop from LGW S to LHR T5 and at fairly high frequency, so unless you’ve got a taxi driver who drives far in excess of the speed limit (not recommended for multiple reasons) then you’re likely to be better off taking the (much cheaper) public transport service.

And UVF is not part of the joint venture between BA and AA so they would be unlikely to entertain rebooking across that way unless you really pushed hard. That said, you’re well within MCT and it’s protected if on one PNR, so I’d happily chance it.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL
Thanks folks. I will take the earlier flight. Does BA protect the connection if I miss it due to traffic only?
Old Oct 17, 2019, 12:35 am
jmd

Programs: BAEC gold
If your inbound is on time then I reckon you will make it (unless there is a massive accident and resulting huge traffic delay on the M25, in which case BA will have lots of pax turning up late and will rebook you). Even when the traffic has been horrendous on the M25 it has not taken me longer than 90 minutes to get to T5. If your inbound is late, BA will rebook you.

i would endorse the suggestions of a car service - there is often some hanging around waiting for the next bus, and sometimes they run late. Here you want the reassurance of knowing that you will be straight into a car.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 2:27 pm

Instead of wasting billions on HS2, the government should run a rail route between the two airpirts
Chandni likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Thats IP but there was a plan to build something - a monorail down the middle of the M25 - as an alternative to 3rd runway as LHR and LGW would be seen as one airport - but IIRC it didn't pass muster on the cost benefit analysis.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.