Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Avios Redemption and additional Cash tickets on same booking

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2019, 3:06 am
Original Poster

Sorry couldn't find answer via search.

Is it possible(via call centre as I'm sure it can't be done online!) to redeem avios(241) and also purchase two additional tickets(££) for children but have on same PNR to take advantage of status benefits - silver, seat assignment ?

Two separate bookings could be linked via TCP to avoid splits/cancellations but wouldn't allow selecting all 4 seats?

Making two bookings - adults on one and the children( 2-11yrs) on another would need to be linked to have the children sat next to an adult, but apart from a slight saving in tax, could still end up with 2 parties of 2 at other ends of the cabin. As this requires a call anyway to book just children can it all be done at the same time and on one PNR??

Edit: Can I create two bookings - adults on one children on other - and then select the adult seats (with seat next to it free at time of selection) will the system have to assign these seats to the children or will it just override at t-1 moving the whole/some of party?
Thanks for any guidance.

Last edited by thumshie; Oct 15, 2019 at 3:39 am
Old Oct 15, 2019, 3:09 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Nope, can't be done.

Golds can get free seat selection for others in the same party, regardless of PNR, but that doesn't apply to silvers.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 3:09 am

Not possible. Sorry but you cannot mix Avios and cash bookings. But you can arrange for the kids to be sat with adults.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
No - you will have to make separate bookings - if you are Gold you can have seats assigned for free for all in same flight same cabin if separate bookings.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 3:27 am
Original Poster

If I create two PNR's (2xAdult, 2xchild) and link so they'll be seated next to an adult. If I then select the two adult seats(behind each other) with seat next to them available at time of selection - won't the system have to assign one of the 'free' seats to a child? Yes it could result in a 3 and 1 split but there was always going to be 'some' separation but this way it's not at least at other end of the cabin? or will BA just change the selected seats closer to departure time?
Old Oct 15, 2019, 3:52 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
I'm not sure if you can create a PNR just with children in. I can see what you're trying to do, but without paying for seat selection, it's very possible that you would end up with 2 groups of 2 (1 x adult, 1 x child) in different parts of the plane. Clearly if you were booking on one PNR, you could use your Silver benefits to select seats for all of you, but a single PNR isn't possible with some tickets paid with Avios and some with cash.

Couldn't you book all 4 tickets as part cash, part Avios? That might work??
Old Oct 15, 2019, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Might not the simplest answer be to book one adult plus one child on the 2-4-1, and one adult and one child on cash tickets? There are no complications about linking a child-only booking to a booking with adults in it, and both will qualify for child seating arrangements. The only downside is that there will be an adult cash fare instead of a child cash fare, but it might save a whole lot of complexity for a relatively modest bump in base fare (perhaps going up from 75% to 100% of the adult base fare).
Old Oct 15, 2019, 4:19 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
I'm not sure if you can create a PNR just with children in. I can see what you're trying to do, but without paying for seat selection, it's very possible that you would end up with 2 groups of 2 (1 x adult, 1 x child) in different parts of the plane. Clearly if you were booking on one PNR, you could use your Silver benefits to select seats for all of you, but a single PNR isn't possible with some tickets paid with Avios and some with cash.

It should be possible when done on the phone, after having already booked the adults. But there is no chance to reserve seats in advance for them without paying... and sincerely I would pay immediately than have to remain uncertain until very close to the departure date.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 4:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling

Can't use the Amex 2-for-1. If there was 4 seats available for Avios redemption that would have been easier better and could use both 2-for-1 I have

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Might not the simplest answer be to book one adult plus one child on the 2-4-1, and one adult and one child on cash tickets? There are no complications about linking a child-only booking to a booking with adults in it, and both will qualify for child seating arrangements. The only downside is that there will be an adult cash fare instead of a child cash fare, but it might save a whole lot of complexity for a relatively modest bump in base fare (perhaps going up from 75% to 100% of the adult base fare).
Yes this was original plan, while cost(putting the 2 children on one booking) wasn't the goal, saving on the cost of seat assignment when there's a Silver card holder and the perk of assigning seats on the one booking was my ultimate goal. Though the idea of the OH being assigned both children for seat assignment and me on my own could also work

Originally Posted by Lefly
It should be possible when done on the phone, after having already booked the adults. But there is no chance to reserve seats in advance for them without paying... and sincerely I would pay immediately than have to remain uncertain until very close to the departure date.
I could book two PNR's as suggested and link, then select the two adult seats. If I attempt to create a new booking to see if the seats next have been blocked(due to system realising there are associated children) - if they haven't I could then pay for the seat assignment for the children. I'd wager the BA IT system is not clover enough, but can always hope!!

Last edited by thumshie; Oct 15, 2019 at 5:13 am Reason: typo - should have been wasn't the goal
Old Oct 15, 2019, 5:06 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by thumshie
Can't use the Amex 2-for-1. If there was 4 seats available for Avios redemption that would have been easier better and could use both 2-for-1 I have .
Yep - after I posted I did realise this but then I actually had some work to do, so couldn't repost!

Yes this was original plan, while cost(putting the 2 children on one booking) was the goal, saving on the cost of seat assignment when there's a Silver card holder and the perk of assigning seats on the one booking was my ultimate goal. Though the idea of the OH being assigned both children for seat assignment and me on my own could also work

I could book two PNR's as suggested and link, then select the two adult seats. If I attempt to create a new booking to see if the seats next have been blocked(due to system realising there are associated children) - if they haven't I could then pay for the seat assignment for the children. I'd wager the BA IT system is not clover enough, but can always hope!!
I think that this sounds reasonable in theory.. and is the best option you have without paying for seats - but you might be stressing till T-24 to be sure that they are actually the kids' seats and not some random punter. As well as trying a dummy booking, you could also try Expert Flyer which will show you whether seats are blocked or assigned once you have booked. I have to stress though that "linking the booking" doesn't have quite the 100% solid attachments of the 2 bookings that you might expect. As far as I know it's just a note in the bookings, rather than something which actually binds them together.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.