Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Amex IAP -- $13k discount on published fare??

Old Oct 14, 2019, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers

Looking at an open jaw JFK-PPT then SCL-JFK in J way towards the end of the calendar, about 11 months out. The official fare on DL is crazy, about $10,300 pp for 2 travelers. However, booking through amextravel.com via the IAP yields the exact same itinerary at about $3,900 pp, for a total discount of almost $13,000 (!!)

Now don't get me wrong, I know this is sort of a pseudo discount since no one is paying cash for that ticket at that price. My question is -- does booking through the IAP now essentially bypass the "too far in advance surcharge" reserved for inflexible oil barons and get to what the fare is going to be a few months from now? Is there reason to believe the IAP fare will be the general fare in, say, January or February?
Old Oct 14, 2019, 3:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Start by looking carefully at the fare code and fare rules. My guess is that the $3900 is a Z fare and $10,300 probably C (maybe D, but probably too cheap to be FULL J). Also, are you searching for *two* people in both cases, as there could be one ticket remaining at $3900 with the second passenger on the same PNR pushing the price up to $10,300 for each person.

Are you calling AmEx or using their website? I would assume/hope that they use real time inventory for DL, but that could also be an explanation. Maybe the cheaper fare won't actually ticket.

IME IAP offers discounts on fares that are normally available from DL (same fare code, just a designator), but I've seen Z fares that AmEx doesn't see and can't ticket under the IAP.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Searching for 2 people in both cases. The DL fare books into C, but I'm unable to ascertain what the IAP fare is booking into, using amextravel.com. Assuming it is Z, does that mean IAP can access fare classes that DL can't? That wouldn't make much sense, unless they were put aside specifically for Amex.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Start by looking carefully at the fare code and fare rules. My guess is that the $3900 is a Z fare and $10,300 probably C (maybe D, but probably too cheap to be FULL J). Also, are you searching for *two* people in both cases, as there could be one ticket remaining at $3900 with the second passenger on the same PNR pushing the price up to $10,300 for each person.

Are you calling AmEx or using their website? I would assume/hope that they use real time inventory for DL, but that could also be an explanation. Maybe the cheaper fare won't actually ticket.

IME IAP offers discounts on fares that are normally available from DL (same fare code, just a designator), but I've seen Z fares that AmEx doesn't see and can't ticket under the IAP.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are regional limitations to combining discount J fares in an open-jaw construction and you are almost certainly not meeting those, so the $10,300 C fares are likely all you will ever get from Delta. There are roundtrip Z fares available to PPT and SCL from JFK in the $4000 - $4500 region. They just can't be combined together in an open jaw because of the regional restrictions. The C fares only require that the jaw distance be shorter than the two other legs for an open jaw combination.

Last edited by xliioper; Oct 14, 2019 at 4:43 pm
Old Oct 14, 2019, 4:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by xliioper
There are regional limitations to combining discount J fares in an open-jaw construction and you are almost certainly not meeting those, so the $10,300 C fares are likely all you will ever get from Delta. There are roundtrip Z fares available to PPT and SCL from JFK in the $4000 - $4500 region. They just can't be combined together an open jaw. The C fares only require that the jaw distance be shorter than the two other legs.
This would mean that the AmEx fare is invalid and shouldn't ticket. YMMV of course, but it's unlikely that a Z fare would work for this combination of flights.

Also, I'm not sure that the IAP covers open jaw tickets rather than just RTs. Check the T&C to be sure.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This would mean that the AmEx fare is invalid and shouldn't ticket.
So.. what if it does ticket? Am I at risk of Delta not honoring the tickets at the last minute?
Old Oct 14, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
You can book the AMEX and see if it tickets. If so they will stand behind it. EVen if it does and you do not want it- you have 24 hours to cancel. If you are sure of the dates and ready to pull the trigger you hav enothing to lose (except cash flow).
QDDawg likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 9:46 pm

Programs: TK*G OZ*G AA Plat
Did you get to the page where you can actually click to purchase, or the page before where it shows the prices (return flight)? I've found some great IAP fares "disappear" when you get to actually trying to purchase. I think it only then really tries to price it or something.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 3:49 am

At a more general level, would someone please describe for me the advantages of using AmEx Travel to book Delta flights? I've seen misc. references here at FlyerTalk, and have an AmEx plat card, but have never booked that way before.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ProfRB
At a more general level, would someone please describe for me the advantages of using AmEx Travel to book Delta flights? I've seen misc. references here at FlyerTalk, and have an AmEx plat card, but have never booked that way before.
Primarily to get a) discounted first/business fares for international flights (the "IAP"), and b) to get 5x Amex points per dollar spent.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 6:55 am

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by OhDoctor
Primarily to get a) discounted first/business fares for international flights (the "IAP"), and b) to get 5x Amex points per dollar spent.
You get 5x if you book at delta.dumb too. I prefer to book directly with the airline whenever possible, it makes handling changes much easier.
gooselee likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 8:01 am

Programs: DL DM 2.4MM
Originally Posted by bloc0102
You get 5x if you book at delta.dumb too. I prefer to book directly with the airline whenever possible, it makes handling changes much easier.
That's only for the personal AmEx platinum - business platinum requires you to book through AmEx Travel to get 5x.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by langbr01
That's only for the personal AmEx platinum - business platinum requires you to book through AmEx Travel to get 5x.
bingo.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
At a more general level, would someone please describe for me the advantages of using AmEx Travel to book Delta flights?
AmEx is the last of the OTAs (that I know of) that still allow you to "build" an itinerary one leg at a time. That feature doesn't add much to simple RT itineraries, but if you are attempting to book something more complex (open jaws, multi-city, etc) it is a fantastic tool.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 9:39 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Some FT threads if you want to follow up further on what others have said:

USA International Airline Program (IAP) relaunched as discount benefit (2017).

USA: (many) IAP fares can now be booked online (May 2019)

Also I think if you have the business version of the AMEX Plat there's a 35% rebate if you pay with points.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.