Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Preclearance international flights at Love

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2019, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Preclearance international flights at Love

Is there any legal reason Southwest wouldn't be able to operate flights from international airports with US preclearance (i.e. Vancouver, Toronto, Nassau) to Dallas Love (an airport without US customs & immigrations facilities)?

I suppose the same answer would apply to Burbank and Long Beach as well.

Last edited by Colin; Oct 13, 2019 at 7:01 pm
Old Oct 13, 2019, 6:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
None. WN would have to apply and would have to meet certain standards, but there is no legal bar.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 7:03 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Aruba.

Works that way today. Not really sure where Southwest goes from there to here (FLL? HOU?), but the inbound/U.S. "arrival" airport is essentially meaningless. It gets even better if you have G.E. -- hit the Global Entry kiosk in the U.S. CBP facility down there, wave your receipt at The Help, they smile & wave you up the escalator to the terminal.

You go thru the routine down there and land up here as though you just came from Nashville or wherever. Get off the plane and get on about your business. Certainly Canada or wherever that currently has PC would be the same if WN were ever to do business there.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 7:55 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
It just occurred to me what the OP may have actually been asking.

Dallas Business Journal
March 15th, 2017

Love Field aviation director: 'No chance’ of international flights or further expansion

"We still have the 20-gate restriction and we're not allowed to do international flights out of Love Field, but all domestic nonstop flights are available. We serve 50 nonstop destinations right now"

Presumably if they can't go out, they're not allowed in
Old Oct 13, 2019, 8:07 pm

The CBP goal is "identifying terrorists, criminals, and other national security threats prior to their boarding an aircraft bound for the United States." I was surprised to find pre-clearance more time consuming at YUL and YYZ than transactions at JFK and ATL, inbound from Asia and Europe. A small sample size, to be sure, and time of day is huge variable.
steved5480 likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Not sure if there is still some form of the wright amendment in tact that means in Int'l from Love
Old Oct 14, 2019, 10:46 am

Even if arrivals and not departures were allowed under the Wright Amendment, I highly doubt WN would serve a city one way...
Old Oct 14, 2019, 12:40 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by 737MAX8
Even if arrivals and not departures were allowed under the Wright Amendment, I highly doubt WN would serve a city one way...
Not to mention the money they've dumped into Hobby for international business which is a short hop away.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: ba silver
Originally Posted by LegalTender
The CBP goal is "identifying terrorists, criminals, and other national security threats prior to their boarding an aircraft bound for the United States." I was surprised to find pre-clearance more time consuming at YUL and YYZ than transactions at JFK and ATL, inbound from Asia and Europe. A small sample size, to be sure, and time of day is huge variable.
It CAN be quite time consuming in YUL, especially in the early morning as passengers from about thirty flights have to check-in, go through security then US CBP, in what I find to be fairly cramped conditions. With so many flights leaving at the same time in the morning and passenegrs sometimes waiting in line for US CPB to open it can take one hour. Going through pre-clearance at YUL at about 16:00 is a breeze though.

I must have had very good luck but the last three times I went through US CBP in the U.S. at different airports I went from the plane to curb in less than 15 mins ( it helps I was one of the first ones off and had no hold baggage). I have heard some horror stories about taking as much as two hours to clear primary CBP in some U.S. airports, something I have never experience in pre-clearance facilities.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 4:35 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by steved5480
It just occurred to me what the OP may have actually been asking.

Dallas Business Journal
March 15th, 2017

Love Field aviation director: 'No chance’ of international flights or further expansion

"We still have the 20-gate restriction and we're not allowed to do international flights out of Love Field, but all domestic nonstop flights are available. We serve 50 nonstop destinations right now"

Presumably if they can't go out, they're not allowed in
The remaining restrictions on DAL are like land mines. If you step on one, something bad is going to happen.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred + CP, Marriott Titanium
I'm still holding out hope that one day DAL will have international flights. Maybe if not in my lifetime, but still hoping for someday
Old Oct 17, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by steved5480
Aruba.

Works that way today. Not really sure where Southwest goes from there to here (FLL? HOU?), but the inbound/U.S. "arrival" airport is essentially meaningless. It gets even better if you have G.E. -- hit the Global Entry kiosk in the U.S. CBP facility down there, wave your receipt at The Help, they smile & wave you up the escalator to the terminal.

You go thru the routine down there and land up here as though you just came from Nashville or wherever. Get off the plane and get on about your business. Certainly Canada or wherever that currently has PC would be the same if WN were ever to do business there.
Also AUA-BWI. Is it possible the arriving airport has to be able to support customs/immigration in case preclearance isn't functioning for some reason? So, they need to be able to step in. If they don't have the facilities, they can't.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 9:49 am
Original Poster

LaGuardia receives flights from Canada (and has no customs & immigrations officers)
Old Oct 19, 2019, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
This is what DFW is for. It's Southwest's choice not to fly international flights out of DFW. Southwest has plenty of domestic destinations to use their 20 gates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.