Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Why Don't More States (in Particular California) Issue Enhanced Driver's Licenses?

Why Don't More States (in Particular California) Issue Enhanced Driver's Licenses?

Old Oct 13, 2019, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

So I now have to get a "Real ID" Driver's license for domestic flights unless I want to carry one of the Federal IDs (passport, GE Card, etc.)

I'm in California, and actually wouldn't mind going to the trouble of getting all of my documentation together and going to a DMV office if they would issue an Enhanced Driver's License - but, California doesn't issue Enhanced Licenses (Enhanced licenses function like passport cards and can be used to cross the land border with Canada and Mexico.)

One would think that as a border state California would issue enhanced licenses.

Any insights as to why Enhanced Driver's Licenses are not available in California (and most states for that matter)?
Old Oct 13, 2019, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
So I now have to get a "Real ID" Driver's license for domestic flights unless I want to carry one of the Federal IDs (passport, GE Card, etc.)

I'm in California, and actually wouldn't mind going to the trouble of getting all of my documentation together and going to a DMV office if they would issue an Enhanced Driver's License - but, California doesn't issue Enhanced Licenses (Enhanced licenses function like passport cards and can be used to cross the land border with Canada and Mexico.)

One would think that as a border state California would issue enhanced licenses.

Any insights as to why Enhanced Driver's Licenses are not available in California (and most states for that matter)?
California does issue Real ID compliant drivers licenses.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
California does issue Real ID compliant drivers licenses.
But it doesn't issue enhanced driver's licenses - which is what I was complaining about.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 2:31 pm

Enhanced Driver Licenses are not valid for entry into Mexico (but they are going back into the US from Mexico) so there's little benefit for the states that don't border Canada
Old Oct 13, 2019, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iamflyer
Enhanced Driver Licenses are not valid for entry into Mexico (but they are going back into the US from Mexico) so there's little benefit for the states that don't border Canada
I have never been asked for any sort of ID when crossing the land border from California into Mexico. As far as I know there is no document requirement until you leave the border zone.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
But it doesn't issue enhanced driver's licenses - which is what I was complaining about.
What does an enhanced license accomplish?
Old Oct 13, 2019, 9:07 pm

Um, border crossing? In addition to being a RealID compliant document.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 9:47 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
"A State-issued Enhanced Driver's License (EDL) provides travelers not only a license to drive but also a proof of identity and citizenship when exiting and re-entering the United States borders. This is a card under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) that has security features and technology that make travel a lot easier and safer. They provide travelers with a low-cost, convenient alternative to a passport for entering the United States from Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean through a land or sea port of entry, in addition to serving as a permit to drive. The states of Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont and Washington State are currently the only states issuing these enhanced drivers licenses. This license cannot be used for air travel in any of the above mentioned countries."

https://www.us-passport-service-guid...s-license.html
Old Oct 13, 2019, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by iamflyer
Enhanced Driver Licenses are not valid for entry into Mexico
Could you please provide a link to some official (or semi-official) sources?
Old Oct 13, 2019, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Larrude
"A State-issued Enhanced Driver's License (EDL) provides travelers not only a license to drive but also a proof of identity and citizenship when exiting and re-entering the United States borders. This is a card under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) that has security features and technology that make travel a lot easier and safer. They provide travelers with a low-cost, convenient alternative to a passport for entering the United States from Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean through a land or sea port of entry, in addition to serving as a permit to drive. The states of Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont and Washington State are currently the only states issuing these enhanced drivers licenses. This license cannot be used for air travel in any of the above mentioned countries."

https://www.us-passport-service-guid...s-license.html
Thanks. Would Read ID do all of the above plus be good for air travel?
Old Oct 13, 2019, 10:48 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Knig
Could you please provide a link to some official (or semi-official) sources?
From the Official website of the Department of Homeland Security:
Enhanced Drivers Licenses: What Are They?

State-issued enhanced drivers licenses (EDLs) provide proof of identity and U.S. citizenship, are issued in a secure process, and include technology that makes travel easier. They provide travelers with a low-cost, convenient alternative for entering the United States from Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean through a land or sea port of entry, in addition to serving as a permit to drive.

The Department has been working with states to enhance their drivers licenses and identification documents to comply with travel rules under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI), effective June 1, 2009.

Enhanced drivers licenses make it easier for U.S. citizens to cross the border into the United States because they include

• a vicinity Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) chip that will signal a secure system to pull up your biographic and biometric data for the CBP officer as you approach the border inspection booth, and
  • a Machine Readable Zone (MRZ) or barcode that the CBP officer can read electronically if RFID isn't available.

The top 39 land ports of entry, which process more than 95 percent of land border crossings, are equipped with RFID technology that helps facilitate travel by individual presenting EDLs or one of the other RFID-enabled documents.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 11:38 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Dual use or poor man's NEXUS/Global Entry without the benefits of either. NEXUS/Global Entry would make more sense to improve travel vs. just facilitate a mandatory requirement.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 5:49 am

The difference between REAL ID and an enhanced ID is $30, in NY State. All required documentation is the same but apparently the chip is what costs the extra fee.

Enhanced ID does NOT have a star which I presume would drive TSA screeners nuts and lead to many problems trying to board a flight.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 6:32 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
Originally Posted by petaluma1
The difference between REAL ID and an enhanced ID is $30, in NY State. All required documentation is the same but apparently the chip is what costs the extra fee.

Enhanced ID does NOT have a star which I presume would drive TSA screeners nuts and lead to many problems trying to board a flight.
Enhanced DL has a flag, which denotes citizenship verified. TSA screeners at DTW are well aware of it, but we'll see if screeners in the non-enhanced license states are trained correctly.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 7:21 am
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
The enhanced driver's license is a lot more convenient for land crossings at the Canadian border. I'm about 60 miles from Buffalo where many people will pop across the border multiple times a month or even a week.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.