Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA464 [LHR-MAD] Cancelled three hours before departure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2019, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Hi all,

I was due to fly on this today, received a text as I was leaving the house, so good timing! Does anyone know why this was cancelled?

I’ve been moved to an IB flight over two hours later. Do I get to claim EC261?

Thanks.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 7:56 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Was this the A350?

Answer is no, if you arrive within 3 hours of the scheduled BA464 arrival, you don't get EC261, and anyway whether you do or not depends on the reason for cancellation
Old Oct 13, 2019, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

That is the BA flight LHR to MAD.

I thhink EC261 compensation is due based on arrival time ( and over 3hrs for this route)

Regards

TBS
Old Oct 13, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Weather cancellation, and to answer my own question, not the A350. Very unlikely to get EC261
Old Oct 13, 2019, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Weather is one of the exempted reasons for EU261/2004, if your flight was canceled due to weather, even if you arrive more than 3 hours later than your original arrival time, you won't receive compensation.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 11:06 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Weather cancellation, and to answer my own question, not the A350. Very unlikely to get EC261

True weather related ( code WEAT ) and thus no EU261.
From Expert Flyer.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, GA Gold, CX Green
Hi there, pax for BA465 [MAD-LHR] here and my flight was also cancelled (same A319 as 464). They cancelled mine 6 hours before departure. And I know it says “weather” on my app but its clear skies in LHR and MAD today......... i don’t understand. They put me on the next IB flight the next day (10h after my original scheduled departure). Claimable? What kind of comps i should expect? (New to EU here)
Old Oct 13, 2019, 5:03 pm

There were high 3000ft winds over London. Heathrow briefly reduced their already heavily reduced arrival rate to 28 per hour resulting in the cancellation.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 9:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, GA Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by speedbuslhr
There were high 3000ft winds over London. Heathrow briefly reduced their already heavily reduced arrival rate to 28 per hour resulting in the cancellation.
🧐 so it’s cancelled because the aircraft in question couldn’t land in LHR prior to doing the LHR MAD turnaround? 🧐🧐
Old Oct 14, 2019, 1:12 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by speedbuslhr

weather is more than just "rain" or "lots of rain" or "no rain"...

Originally Posted by BB8Dreamliner
�� so it’s cancelled because the aircraft in question couldn’t land in LHR prior to doing the LHR MAD turnaround? ����
isnt that a reason for EU261? or do I mix something up here?
Old Oct 14, 2019, 1:22 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
I find it pretty sad that people's first reaction now when a flight is cancelled is general suspicion and then a sense of entitlement over compensation. Inconvenient and frustrating to arrive a couple of hours later though I'm sure it was.

The flow rate was 28 an hour, about 20 less landing than normal. This leads to slot delays inbound to LHR of about 2hrs. Replicate that across the BA fleet and crew rotations and it becomes unsustainable. It leads to people landing back at LHR at midnight, queuing at UK Border and waiting ages for their bags, not to mention late running aircraft out of LHR to airports with jet bans, like in Germany and Switzerland which then get cancelled after departure time. BA obviously made a proactive decision to intervene and tackle the flow rate issues in a timely fashion.
Nephoi, cbagent, florens and 4 others like this.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 1:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Weather is one of the exempted reasons for EU261/2004, if your flight was canceled due to weather, even if you arrive more than 3 hours later than your original arrival time, you won't receive compensation.
This is not true.
We are not in the USA.

The weather situation must be truly extraordinary at the departure or arrival airport.
Some wind at Heathrow in October is certainly not extraordinary.

so it’s cancelled because the aircraft in question couldn’t land in LHR prior to doing the LHR MAD turnaround?
LHR is the hub of BA.
What happened to a plane before the actual cancelled flight, is not important.

BA obviously made a proactive decision to intervene and tackle the flow rate issues in a timely fashion.
This is considered to be a commercial decision by BA - this not extraordinary.
BA (out of commercial interests) prefers to cancel shorthaul flight before cancelling longhaul flights.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 1:54 am

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
Slightly off-topic.

I got delayed in Cardiff last year, for 6 hours, trying to get to Edinburgh. The inbound flight was coming from Dublin where it was delayed by bad weather.

I claimed EC261 on the basis the weather was good in Cardiff, and in Edinburgh, and on the route between the two, and also that other flights were arriving and leaving both airports on time.

FlyBe denied my claim, twice, so I forwarded it to CAA who approved it, and I got my compensation.

It’s the only time I have ever claimed, and it was kind of weather related.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 3:28 am

Programs: BA
Had a cancellation last week at 11;55am was leaving for Heathrow at 12:30. Flight to Nice was due for 15:45 switched to 17:45 then it eventually took off after 18:45

The crew all behaved as everything was perfectly normal, not a word of apology.

My son has had a booking for a couple of months for beginning of December to Miami, just had a message it's cancelled!!

BA really are getting worse by the week, in the end they are going to run out of good will and customers.

WHAT IS GOING ON????
Old Oct 14, 2019, 3:32 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by CC999

My son has had a booking for a couple of months for beginning of December to Miami, just had a message it's cancelled!!

BA really are getting worse by the week, in the end they are going to run out of good will and customers.

WHAT IS GOING ON????
I've just posted about my LHR - MIA flight on 21/12 that's just been cancelled this morning too. Was your son on the BA211?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.