Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Viability of QF127/8

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2019, 6:08 am
Original Poster
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Viability of QF127/8

I am booked in F on QF127 in March next year.

I'm concerned at the situation, and in the end decided to travel to SIN instead (final destination is Thailand but want F in and out of Asia).

Curious, I checked the loads from Feb through to the end of the seasonal A388 flight and there are less than 10 seats sold on most flights across all cabins. On my flight, there were 3 seats sold in F, a handful in J, Y+ and Y (actual loads confirmed by a mate at QF).

Surely QF will pull 127 or even remove the seasonal operation altogether? I decided to take action now so I wasn't downgraded and put on a different flight.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 10:38 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by m0hamed

I'm concerned at the situation, and in the end decided to travel to SIN instead (final destination is Thailand but want F in and out of Asia).

Curious, I checked the loads from Feb through to the end of the seasonal A388 flight and there are less than 10 seats sold on most flights across all cabins. On my flight, there were 3 seats sold in F, a handful in J, Y+ and Y (actual loads confirmed by a mate at QF).

Surely QF will pull 127 or even remove the seasonal operation altogether? I decided to take action now so I wasn't downgraded and put on a different flight.
10 seats sold or 10 seats shown on a seat diagram? If anything, QF will sub a 789 for the 380. But freight is always the unknown - less pax means more freight.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by og
10 seats sold or 10 seats shown on a seat diagram? ...
I suspect sold:
... (actual loads confirmed by a mate at QF). ...
Old Oct 13, 2019, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

QF127 is SYD HKG for those who do not remember the QF timetable.
People who fly paid F or J for business(work) are unlikely to have booked a March flight yet. Such people often only book/confirm a few weeks/days before the flight. To me 3 F sold(award?) would be good 5 months out. In 2020 Chinese New Year is 25 Jan, so that traffic will not be flying Feb-March.

Due to the current political situation in Hong Kong passenger loads are down for all airlines from all destinations. What the political situation will be in Hong Kong next year who knows.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 3:49 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
10 seats sold.

And yes, all forward bookings are down. The situation is unknown but I don't want to fly to HKG on a 789 in J when I wanted F.

It is indeed seasonal from Xmas through to Lunar NY.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
10 seats sold.

And yes, all forward bookings are down.
Did your contacts say anything about how far below profile the booking pattern is? That's really the key question, not the absolute number of bookings.
The situation is unknown but I don't want to fly to HKG on a 789 in J when I wanted F.
This got me wondering about QF's policy on an invol downgrade in these circumstances. Would a refund be on offer?
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Did your contacts say anything about how far below profile the booking pattern is? That's really the key question, not the absolute number of bookings.This got me wondering about QF's policy on an invol downgrade in these circumstances. Would a refund be on offer?
Policy is to downgrade pax to J and offer points refund. Fare class and status define pecking order. i.e. a no status pax paying F will be managed prior to a WP in A Class etc. If no seats on the alternative aircraft then QF will fly you via other QF flights to Asia and connect you and as a last resort endorse you onto other carriers.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Policy is to downgrade pax to J and offer points refund. Fare class and status define pecking order. i.e. a no status pax paying F will be managed prior to a WP in A Class etc. If no seats on the alternative aircraft then QF will fly you via other QF flights to Asia and connect you and as a last resort endorse you onto other carriers.
Thanks. I can see your reasoning, then.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
(actual loads confirmed by a mate at QF).
So your friend provided you with propitiatory/company private information, and you posted it to a public web forum?

If caught, that would seem look a good way for your friend to lose his job...
Old Oct 19, 2019, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by docbert
so your friend provided you with propitiatory/company private information, and you posted it to a public web forum?

If caught, that would seem look a good way for your friend to lose his job...
🙄🙄🙄
Old Nov 1, 2019, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

As expected https://www.australianfrequentflyer....ristmas.96977/
Old Nov 2, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
That’s only for before Christmas isn’t it?

What does EF actually say?
Old Nov 2, 2019, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JClasstraveller
That’s only for before Christmas isn’t it?

What does EF actually say?
Correct. But I suspect another downgrade announcement of the situation and loads do not change.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 7:25 pm

Programs: QF WP
well that’s my “birthday F trip to Hong Kong” out the window 🙄🙄
Old Nov 3, 2019, 1:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nancypants
well that’s my “birthday F trip to Hong Kong” out the window 🙄🙄
Have you booked? You might have success asking for QF F to SIN and the CX to HKG as a reroute?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.