Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Discrepancy in Cabin / Fare Class on codeshare UA operated flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2019, 5:55 am
Original Poster

I purchased a trip on SK in SAS Plus (premium economy) with domestic connecting flights on UA.

Itinerary is MCO-ORD-CPH (already flown) and CPH-IAD-MCO (upcoming).

After booking, I had logged into my UA account to select seats for the UA flights (MCO-ORD and IAD-MCO). I was presented with the option to purchase economy plus seats which I did.

I'm currently looking at options for upgrading the cabin on the return IAD-MCO leg, and noticed something strange when I dug out the previous receipt that was sent from the UA website (note that on UA I entered the SK confirmation number but UA assigned its own confirmation number to the trip).

The email receipt I received prior to the outbound flight is showing the two UA domestic flights as "Class: United First (P)." I had not noticed this previously, but if I "view ticket receipt" inside the UA website, it is also showing that the MCO-ORD flight had "Meal: Dinner." We had no option of selecting seats anywhere but basic economy, we had the option to purchase economy plus seats which we did, and we were presented with an option to upgrade to the FC cabin for $179 each upon check-in. We sat in the economy plus seats I purchased and were provided with a complementary bag of pretzels and soft drink.

Based on the UA receipt, should we have been seated in FC? (EDITED TO ADD: I am not asking this question to complain or reach out to UA about what is past. It is only for my knowledge for the next flight and future reference.)

Today, when I retrieve the itinerary on UA and have the receipt emailed to me, it now shows "Class: Business or First (P)" for both the completed MCO-ORD flight as well as the upcoming IAD-MCO flight. However, on the main page showing the itinerary, it says "Fare Class: United Economy (V)" and I am again being shown that I am eligible to purchase economy plus seats for IAD-MCO (already done) and can click on the "Upgrade Cabin" link although an upgrade is not available currently for purchase but can be waitlisted with 17,500 + $75 per person.

Why the discrepancy between my receipt which appears that we have "Business/First (P)" class on the UA domestic flights and the reality of where I was able to select seats? Is there a way to get UA to honor FC seating for the return flight based on the receipt?

Thanks for any clarification.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 6:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Call UA and ask them to assign you a seat in F for the remaining segment. You are likely due a refund of the fare difference for the leg you flew, but will need to address that with SK and it will likely be either nothing or very little.
SusanDK likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Thank you!

Would UA refund me for the Economy Plus seats I purchased (for the flown segment as well as the upcoming one)?
Dangerfeld likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 7:34 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
I'm wondering if the fare class confusion is because the MCO-ORD and IAD-MCO legs were SK codeshares; P class on SK is an SAS Plus fare bucket. In particular, I'm wondering if UA's website is getting confused about the P class for the codeshare, and showing it as first on the receipt. For example, if you look at CPH-MCO on SK on Nov 03, you'll see the following, where P falls below Y (the highest SAS Plus fare bucket), but above E (the highest SAS Go fare bucket). SAS Business is C, D, Z, J, and R.

Code:
  Air Availability CPH - COPENHAGEN > MCO - ORLANDO Sun, 03 Nov

1   SK 925       CPH - COPENHAGEN    -->    IAD - WASHINGTON   333   8h 55min   C9 D5 Z0 J0 R0 Y9 S4 B2 P0 A0 E9 M9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 U9 K9 L9 T9  
      SAS           03NOV, 12:20 PM           03NOV, 03:15 PM                     O9 G9 N0                                                     
  2   SK/UA 8777   IAD - WASHINGTON    -->    MCO - ORLANDO      738   2h 21min   C0 D0 Z0 J0 Y7 S7 B7 A0 E7 M7 H1 P0 Q0 V0 W0 U0 K0 L0 T0     
      SAS           03NOV, 05:30 PM           03NOV, 07:51 PM
Kacee likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 7:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As this is a simple call to UA, doesn't that suggest a first step?
Old Sep 22, 2019, 8:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Often1
As this is a simple call to UA, doesn't that suggest a first step?
lol you really think your average UA reservations agent is going to grasp the mapping issue identified by amislove? I think not

Calling UA about a very nonstandard issue without first having full information is rarely a good idea.

I can't really think of any scenario where an SK PE fare books into F on UA domestic segment. UA's PE fares don't do that.
jsloan likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I'm curious...were the UA domestic flights booked as SK-codeshare flights? e.g. operated by United, coded as SK?

I agree with @amislove that this is just a mapping issue and United is incorrectly displaying the data.

-RM
jsloan likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
I agree with @amislove that this is just a mapping issue and United is incorrectly displaying the data.
^

United.com does this regularly.
Kacee likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
I'm curious...were the UA domestic flights booked as SK-codeshare flights? e.g. operated by United, coded as SK?

-RM
Yes, my receipt shows the UA flights with SK flight numbers.

The odd thing is that it is the receipt from the UA site with the UA confirmation number that is showing the First Class. But it isn't allowing me to reserve anything except basic economy seats and purchase anything higher (e.g. economy plus seats or upgraded cabin).

I suspect that the SK code share is what is causing the problem and it was wishful thinking that I was booked in FC.

However, I will call UA just to ask as suggested by Often1.

Thanks all!
Old Sep 22, 2019, 3:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SusanDK
The odd thing is that it is the receipt from the UA site with the UA confirmation number that is showing the First Class. But it isn't allowing me to reserve anything except basic economy seats and purchase anything higher (e.g. economy plus seats or upgraded cabin).
Different UA systems are reading your ticket/fare differently. The receipt is seeing P booking class, and mistakenly mapping it to a UA P booking class, which would be first class. The UA seat booking engine is looking past the SK booking class, and reading the ticket/fare correctly.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 3:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I suspect that the SK code share is what is causing the problem and it was wishful thinking that I was booked in FC. ...
Best to assume the Fare Class is reporting the fare class of the flight marketer, in this case, SK. The problem is even in *A, not all fare class codes mean the same thing for different airlines. This is a case.
jsloan likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Definitely a website problem translating the human-readable cabin name.

However, on the main page showing the itinerary, it says "Fare Class: United Economy (V)" and I am again being shown that I am eligible to purchase economy plus seats for IAD-MCO (already done) and can click on the "Upgrade Cabin" link although an upgrade is not available currently for purchase but can be waitlisted with 17,500 + $75 per person.

Why the discrepancy between my receipt which appears that we have "Business/First (P)" class on the UA domestic flights and the reality of where I was able to select seats? Is there a way to get UA to honor FC seating for the return flight based on the receipt?
Your domestic segments are booked on SK flights in P class (which is SK PE), and this books into V class on a UA-marketed flight and the Economy cabin for UA metal:

Code:
>$LB1/UA                                                       
001 ORLCPH 23SEP19 SK USD 1330.00 PLXUSSCX STAY-SU/12MBK-P     
FARE CLS  EXPLANATION                            BOOK CODES    
--------  ----------------------                 ----------    
PLXUSSCX  BASIC SEASON MIDWEEK PREMIUM ECONOMY      P          
PLXUSSCX  RESTRICTED FARES                                     
PLXUSSCX  APPLIES FOR ROUND TRIP FARES                         
PLXUSSCX  FOR ADULT                                            

BOOKING CODE EXCEPTIONS FOR CARRIER: UA                        

..snip..

IF VIA SK                      P- FARES                        
   VIA UA  V     REQUIRED
SusanDK and PTahCha like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.