Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

is it Impossible to redeem free night award at upscale hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2019, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT Gold, Air France Platinum Ulti, AA 4MM EXP, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond

As a Globalist and having received a category 1 to 7 award i have tried to redeem it to no avail in the properties of my choice which are mostly Park Hyatts.
Is there a method to score one free night in those properties?
I have upcoming stays in Tokyo ( no brand available for a free night except Hyatt Regency ) Bangkok, Melbourne and Sydney in December, Milan in January (two stays)
I never encountered problems redeeming those free nights awards in the past. Did something change?
Old Sep 21, 2019, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by thierry
As a Globalist and having received a category 1 to 7 award i have tried to redeem it to no avail in the properties of my choice which are mostly Park Hyatts.
Is there a method to score one free night in those properties?
I have upcoming stays in Tokyo ( no brand available for a free night except Hyatt Regency ) Bangkok, Melbourne and Sydney in December, Milan in January (two stays)
I never encountered problems redeeming those free nights awards in the past. Did something change?
if there is a room for points redemption, you should be able to use your free night award. Did you call the center to book it?
Old Sep 21, 2019, 6:22 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Just too many people with status, affiliated credit cards, or just more people traveling.

Bangkok, Melbourne and Sydney in December is the high season and availability can be an issue especially when properties play games with room categories.

Nothing new there!
Old Sep 21, 2019, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT Gold, Air France Platinum Ulti, AA 4MM EXP, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
With all due respect i do not buy the seasonality argument. Cities like Sydney Melbourne Bangkok Tokyo are all year round destinations. What about Milan in January then? I played around with the system and Park Hyatts in Vienna Zurich Paris New York Buenos Aires all did not offer free nights availability. The only one I could find was Istanbul.
And all those properties had availability if redeeming with points....
I will call Hyatt res and find out if they can help.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 6:59 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Are you saying you can't redeem for BKK and SYD? Are you sure it's not a minimum night criteria that's blocking you? PHS has minimum stay requirements over Xmas and NY and generally block redemptions.

Last edited by m0hamed; Sep 21, 2019 at 7:07 pm
Old Sep 21, 2019, 7:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In the last couple years, I've stayed on points in the PH Tokyo, Buenos Aires, and Paris several times each plus Tokyo Andaz as well as HR Tokyo. I haven't had problems finding availability for points and also TSUs (except of course at Tokyo Andaz) on those stays. Previously I tended to look for cash and points rates in order to use TSUs or Diamond upgrades and again, things tended to work for me for the dates I needed. (Add PH Seoul and GH ICN to my list.)
Old Sep 21, 2019, 7:06 pm

Programs: WoH Glob, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
With all due respect i do not buy the seasonality argument. Cities like Sydney Melbourne Bangkok Tokyo are all year round destinations.
While Bangkok certainly gets many tourists year round, december to febraury are MUCH busier than low season (august, september)
Old Sep 21, 2019, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In the last couple years, I've stayed on points in the PH Tokyo, Buenos Aires, and Paris several times each plus Tokyo Andaz as well as HR Tokyo. I haven't had problems finding availability for points and also TSUs (except of course at Tokyo Andaz) on those stays. Previously I tended to look for cash and points rates in order to use TSUs or Diamond upgrades and again, things tended to work for me for the dates I needed. (Add PH Seoul and GH ICN to my list.)
As I mentioned before there is no problem finding rooms for points redemption or for cash + points for that matter. The problem is Free night award availability
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m0hamed
Are you saying you can't redeem for BKK and SYD? Are you sure it's not a minimum night criteria that's blocking you? PHS has minimum stay requirements over Xmas and NY and generally block redemptions.
I am not looking for rooms over the Holiday period but early December
Old Sep 21, 2019, 7:36 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
I am not looking for rooms over the Holiday period but early December
It is not uncommon for base rooms to be booked during this period. Cruise ship season plus school holidays plus peak tourist season.

Cash and points does allow for higher category rooms.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 7:40 pm

The answer to this question is no. It is far from impossible.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 9:43 pm

Programs: Swiss Senator, Flying Blue Gold, BA EC Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Just some weeks ago I was able to book four nights at the PH Tokyo for early December with my points. At that time, I had free choice between pretty much all Hyatt properties. So it looks like things got busier in between.

That said I previously wasn’t able several times to get a weekend night at the Park Hyatt Paris which seems to be constantly booked out for points. It’s probably all supply and demand
Old Sep 21, 2019, 9:52 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Are you looking for more than one night? I had a similar situation when I was booking PH Sydney with points and a free night. But then when I looked at just one night I could do it....for both nights.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 9:54 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC the free night certs must be booked separately which can lead to problems if the hotel has a minimum stay requirement.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 11:36 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I've seen lots of availability at PH Zurich, PH Vendome, and PH NYC lately. And redeemed for a friend at PH Tokyo recently. Those all seem pretty upscale to me.
Assimilated Cajun likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.