Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Hold email discrepancy: Business vs. First

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2019, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)

I use the "Hold" function for almost every itinerary and noticed an odd quirk on an itinerary that I placed on hold last night.

For anyone that uses Hold you'll know the emails still show in the old format with the table that has light blue and dark blue headers. Usually all my domestic flights show "First" with the corresponding booking class. However, the LGA-CAE-LGA itinerary I put on hold last night showed Business but with the I booking class indicator. I'm not too worried, thinking it probably because it's an American Eagle itinerary or something like that but figured I'd check.

Thanks!
Old Sep 21, 2019, 8:10 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
That's normal. I is considered a "business class" fare. You'll be in domestic F. See https://cwsi.net/aa.htm.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 8:14 am

Fraser, I hope you don't mind a really stupid question, that does not answer yours. :-)

I have read folks talk about putting a flight "on hold". I've never been able to figure out how to do that on any itinerary I've tried to book with AA. But folks have said there is a "change flight" option, which I can't seem to see also either. (I use aa.com on my laptop, not the app, if it makes a difference.)

How do you get to the "Hold" function?
Old Sep 21, 2019, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
That's normal. I is considered a "business class" fare. You'll be in domestic F. See https://cwsi.net/aa.htm.
Indeed, although usually on the hold emails I class shows as "First"

Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
It shows on AA.com just below where you can choose to enter payment information after pricing up the itinerary. It puts the itinerary on hold at no charge until 11.59pm the following day. So you can stretch it out to as good as 48hrs if you book just after midnight.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 8:23 am

Thanks Fraser. I can't fathom that I've never seen it. Am going to try it with a return booking today.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 8:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Fraser, I hope you don't mind a really stupid question, that does not answer yours. :-)

I have read folks talk about putting a flight "on hold". I've never been able to figure out how to do that on any itinerary I've tried to book with AA. But folks have said there is a "change flight" option, which I can't seem to see also either. (I use aa.com on my laptop, not the app, if it makes a difference.)

Antarius, cmtlatitudes and JDiver like this.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist

The flight has to also be more than a week out.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: Aegean (Gold) American (EP)
Originally Posted by Antarius
It also can not contain a flight that does not have an AA flight number (e.g. a JAL flight that is not a codeshare flight).
Old Sep 21, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus

Also if your itinerary includes flights not operated by AA then you cannot do 24 hrs. hold. Does your booking always involve flights not operated by AA?

You can still do 24 hrs. cancellation after the purchase without penalties.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by Antarius
Originally Posted by coxm
It also can not contain a flight that does not have an AA flight number (e.g. a JAL flight that is not a codeshare flight).
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Also if your itinerary includes flights not operated by AA then you cannot do 24 hrs. hold. Does your booking always involve flights not operated by AA?

You can still do 24 hrs. cancellation after the purchase without penalties.
Okay, this explains most of why I haven't noticed the "Hold" option or been able to find it. Often - probably 80-90% - I'm booking 3-7 days out. Usually when I book earlier, it's almost exclusively on weekly non-stops to vacation destinations that will sell out in F or good chance the price will increase dramatically, so I don't look for the "hold" in those cases. The rare times I book in advance domestically lately it's usually just to BUF nonstop or in combination with an "operated by" carrier to some remote destination, even if the flight contains an AA codeshare. Small planes but pretty all operated by Republic Air or Wisconsin Air or whoever the contract carrier is this week. (They all run together for me.)

Thanks for the explanations and qualifiers everyone -- a big help in me understanding better how it works. And Moondog for the screen shot.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 9:42 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Eagle carriers are considered "operated by AA" for the purposes of the hold option. Those codeshares are wholly owned AA operators or subcontractors to AA whereas other codeshare carriers are not.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
Eagle carriers are considered "operated by AA" for the purposes of the hold option. Those codeshares are wholly owned AA operators or subcontractors to AA whereas other codeshare carriers are not.

Thanks USFLyer --- that's a helpful clarification on Eagles; good to know.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by moondog
Thats a quality arrow and I even like the choice of red.
Antarius likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.