Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Priority tags are constantly getting ripped off on purpose

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2019, 2:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Skywards Platinum; Bonvoy Titanium Elite

I thought this was a one off occurrence, but my Priority tags (First) are getting ripped off when I fly J and Y. This has happened on the last 4 out of 5 flights. Haven't flown F in the last couple of months. The last flight really pissed me off as I had to wait over 45 minutes for my bag to be delivered along with the non priority bags. out of 2 bags, one was ripped off. So there is no consistency.
As a Plat, one of the perks is priority handling and delivery of luggage, irrespective of class of travel.

Anyone else experience this, and does anyone have the inside on why this is being done. Seems extremely odd - do they have personnel tearing off tags??? it surely was there at check in.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 2:56 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Do the tags actually do anything? I thought they were just for show, and the real priority was encoded in the bar-code.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 4:10 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by torontoflyer
I thought this was a one off occurrence, but my Priority tags (First) are getting ripped off when I fly J and Y. This has happened on the last 4 out of 5 flights. Haven't flown F in the last couple of months. The last flight really pissed me off as I had to wait over 45 minutes for my bag to be delivered along with the non priority bags. out of 2 bags, one was ripped off. So there is no consistency.
As a Plat, one of the perks is priority handling and delivery of luggage, irrespective of class of travel.

Anyone else experience this, and does anyone have the inside on why this is being done. Seems extremely odd - do they have personnel tearing off tags??? it surely was there at check in.
I’ve heard of this recently - worth a line into Ek to see why they aren’t being delivered it should not be the case as a plat or gold that you don’t get baggage priority. tags don’t do a lot though as they are hard coded into separate bins
Old Sep 19, 2019, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by m3red
I’ve heard of this recently - worth a line into Ek to see why they aren’t being delivered it should not be the case as a plat or gold that you don’t get baggage priority. tags don’t do a lot though as they are hard coded into separate bins
Except if the airport has a baggage handler involved somewhere in the baggage handling process, they can't read the barcodes but can colour and text identify the bag priority. Lack of tag might cause them to think a system error occurred, and then the bag is manually relocated to low priority bins. Airlines could probably save a respectable amount on not using priority tags if the information is hardcoded, so if they are still being issued then that suggests the tags still serve a useful purpose.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 4:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Do the tags actually do anything? I thought they were just for show, and the real priority was encoded in the bar-code.
they actually do. especially tagged as first. my bags are pretty much the first lot to come out on the carousel. That is when they are not torn off....
Old Sep 19, 2019, 5:00 am

they actually do. especially tagged as first. my bags are pretty much the first lot to come out on the carousel. That is when they are not torn off....
They're first out and tags aren't ripped off, the two don't necessarily correlate, however, as the priority information is also contained in the barcode, and more importantly, priority tagged bags are loaded into a separate container for priority delivery, the sorting of priority bags doesn't occur at the destination airport.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 5:14 am
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
Last year when I flew WLG-SYD in J (EK codeshare with QF) then SYD-BKK in F my two bags were not loaded into a Priority Container in SYD.

This was confirmed by EK ground staff after all the priority luggage had arrived.

When they did eventually arrive priority labels had been removed.

I compained to EK and received 15,000 Emirates CASA Goodwill Miles.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 6:53 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
This tag ripping issue has been discussed in another thread. Although I have never experienced it (flying any class), I would be curious to see if there's a pattern based on the point of origination.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 8:09 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by extramileage
This tag ripping issue has been discussed in another thread. Although I have never experienced it (flying any class), I would be curious to see if there's a pattern based on the point of origination.
Has been discussed in this thread Real life benefits of Platinum?
Old Sep 19, 2019, 8:26 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Last week arriving in J in CPT, my bag still wearing the blue 'Business' tags, arrived in between the zillions of bags of the 'unwashed'.
For the record, origin was LGW.
And I'm Gold as well, so priority on two counts.
First time this happened to me.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 8:33 am

Actually I’ve had experience with Ek with multiple people on abooking and they take the status of the person in alpha order so I’ve been deprived of plat benefits because the “a” passenger was silver, gold or blue - whilst the tags were left on bags came with the y pax. Also used to get j car on pick up in Dxb whereas when I was travelling solo it was the F car 100% of the time.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 9:29 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Yes - I suspect the tags get ripped off because the bags are not going in the "priority" container fir the reason m3red mentioned above.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Yes - I suspect the tags get ripped off because the bags are not going in the "priority" container fir the reason m3red mentioned above.
I've been flying solo....so I'm the only passenger on the PNR. I'm going to write to EK and see what's the reason. By the way, on my flight back from IAH I did see other bags too with the tags ripped off. Very weird. there has to be some mechanism / reason in doing this. Im curious.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 11:32 am

I've been flying solo....so I'm the only passenger on the PNR. I'm going to write to EK and see what's the reason. By the way, on my flight back from IAH I did see other bags too with the tags ripped off. Very weird. there has to be some mechanism / reason in doing this. Im curious.
If you still have the bag tags or baggage stubs they give you at check-in include these as it might assist them in tracking down the specific baggage records, else include date of flights and flight numbers of course.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Three weeks ago, my outbound flight in F, my bags were literally the first off. The return flight was in Y. The red tags were on the bags but they came out with the rest of Y bags (travelled solo).

I'm flying Y on friday so will report back how it goes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.