Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Firing CX crew (for protest support) - exaggerated?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2019, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"

DH just sent this to me:

https://www.paddleyourownkanoo.com/2...est-crackdown/

Is this over-stated, or might there be a problem with number of crew on board? Or overworked?
I have no idea if the number (200) is accurate, or what percent this would be if so, etc.
Or might it lead to even more reductions in routes?

We've got F/J awards later this fall, and there are so few seats in F, that would be difficult to re-seat us. And the F is *why* we chose CX for the trip.
At least we didn't lose any flight to the local airport... yet...

Thanks.

GC
Old Sep 18, 2019, 11:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

That source seems only marginally more credible than a random FT post.
Chromie25, QRC3288 and DiamondMile like this.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by moondog
That's why I asked about it, hoping that there may be some more familiar with the situation, who might chime in "It was actually just 2 troublemakers, nothing more" or "I work there and this is just the tip of the iceberg!!!!" <hopefully joking about that latter extreme!>

GC
Old Sep 18, 2019, 12:06 pm

Programs: pleb
Originally Posted by GeezerCouple
That's why I asked about it, hoping that there may be some more familiar with the situation, who might chime in "It was actually just 2 troublemakers, nothing more" or "I work there and this is just the tip of the iceberg!!!!" <hopefully joking about that latter extreme!>

GC

I wouldn't generalize the FA's who were fired as just troublemakers. Pretty much any FA who voiced any type of support or even just sympathy for either the protesters or anyone in support of the protests were fired without reason. Wouldn't consider them "troublemakers".
CX HK and nancypants like this.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nightkhan
I wouldn't generalize the FA's who were fired as just troublemakers. Pretty much any FA who voiced any type of support or even just sympathy for either the protesters or anyone in support of the protests were fired without reason. Wouldn't consider them "troublemakers".
The article didn't make them sound like "troublemakers", but I'm trying to get some informed information about the accuracy (and numbers?) or any of this.
(I was just hypothesizing about one extreme of what responses might be.)

Do you have numbers?

GC
Old Sep 18, 2019, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by GeezerCouple
The article didn't make them sound like "troublemakers", but I'm trying to get some informed information about the accuracy (and numbers?) or any of this.
(I was just hypothesizing about one extreme of what responses might be.)

Do you have numbers?

GC
No one except CX knows how many FAs got fired. Although I wouldn't be surprised if 200 is accurate...the CCP got CX on a short leash.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 7:35 pm

Programs: MP, BR
Originally Posted by moondog
Actually a random FT post probably has more factual information than that source.
moondog and QRC3288 like this.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 8:52 pm
wkc

What an interesting coincidence to see a new thread about this here!

I came across a video last night that relates exactly to this, a firsthand account of the flight crew secretly recording conversations on each other: http://tiny.cc/kilzcz

To be absolutely frank, anyone who is intimately familiar with Cathay Pacific and/or has friends working there will already know about their toxic and backstabbing company culture, with or without the added Mainland China pressure.

You only need to go on CX Secrets or read a few posts from the PPRuNe Forums to know that CX management and crew all regard each other with contempt.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 9:42 pm

Programs: CX Diamond / OWE
Originally Posted by wkc
What an interesting coincidence to see a new thread about this here!

I came across a video last night that relates exactly to this, a firsthand account of the flight crew secretly recording conversations on each other: http://tiny.cc/kilzcz

To be absolutely frank, anyone who is intimately familiar with Cathay Pacific and/or has friends working there will already know about their toxic and backstabbing company culture, with or without the added Mainland China pressure.

You only need to go on CX Secrets or read a few posts from the PPRuNe Forums to know that CX management and crew all regard each other with contempt.
Is it just me, or does this make anyone else angry too? I'm not naive - I know China has clout and WILL push companies to tow the line - but really? CX??
Old Sep 18, 2019, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by flubber
Is it just me, or does this make anyone else angry too? I'm not naive - I know China has clout and WILL push companies to tow the line - but really? CX??
If true, I find the notion of encouraging employees to rat each other utterly distasteful. I remember growing up, there were few things worst than being a tattletale--a rat. While every company has some of these people, at least in the past, we knew who they were and were able to treat them with the scorn and contempt they deserved.
flubber likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 11:06 pm

Programs: Cathay Lifetime Diamond
A more accurate count of the FAs fired would be 8 not 200.
It would however be true that Cathay has been forced to take a harder line than usual because of the saber rattling by China.
Given the FAs conduct after fair warning was given they have no one else to blame but themselves.
As for the remark re 'Cathay Secrets' - in any organisation there will always be a few disaffected, dissatisfied individuals who want to shout their grievances on forums such as CS and of course many of the post are positive in nature. A number individuals are frequent posters posting negatively on any subject raised as is normal on this type of anonymous forum - dissatisfied so give the boss a kicking with no comeback.
Given that that Cathay employs well over 10,000 cabin crew then of course there will always be some that are unhappy but most enjoy the the job and will tell you so if asked.
The image that wkc attempts to create above is just plain wrong. Hong Kong is a very small place with a tiny unemployment rate and if the situation that wkc attempts to project were in any way true no one would work for the airline. As it is there is always a long waiting list for even an interview and the vast majority of cabin crew work for the airline for many years often returning after having children.

Certainly Cathay is not the 'perfect' employer but it has a long history of being decent and fair to the point that it has many more applications than positions available. This in a' first world market' where there are many better paid jobs than working as cabin crew.
Chromie25 and moondog like this.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 12:33 pm
wkc

Originally Posted by oldchinahand
The image that wkc attempts to create above is just plain wrong. Hong Kong is a very small place with a tiny unemployment rate and if the situation that wkc attempts to project were in any way true no one would work for the airline. As it is there is always a long waiting list for even an interview and the vast majority of cabin crew work for the airline for many years often returning after having children.

Certainly Cathay is not the 'perfect' employer but it has a long history of being decent and fair to the point that it has many more applications than positions available. This in a' first world market' where there are many better paid jobs than working as cabin crew.
Respectfully disagree with you. Tiny employment rate? Then it's a job seeker's market. Indeed, the only positions that CX has not imposed a hiring freeze on are for flight crew.

Long waiting list? In my younger years I've gone and participated in these CX cabin crew interviews myself. They spin it like a beauty pageant, encouraging shortlisted candidates to pat themselves on the back for making it through at each stage of the interview. There are indeed many better paid jobs than working as cabin crew, this I can agree with you on. Being a cabin crew is low hanging fruit for a fresh university graduate.

What isn't low hanging fruit? Those coveted SFP and ISM positions.

In the West, ratting out and backstabbing fellow colleagues would get you reprimanded for creating a hostile work environment.

At CX? You will get fast tracked to become ISM. Hong Kong is a dog-eat-dog society, don't be so naive to think otherwise.

Decent and fair? You can say that to the latest generation of CPP trainees who have been asked to cover their pilot expenses at Adelaide with a diminished and garnished monthly salary.
Carfield likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 10:56 pm

Programs: Cathay Lifetime Diamond
WKC
I must respectfully disagree with the several tabloid points that you continue make and in response to my more measured post.
It appears to me that you are picking up second and third hand internet gossip, in fact anything that is negative to Cathay, repackaging it and posting it here as fact.

The unemployment rate in HK in August was 2.8% BTW
'Naive' I think not factual yes and in context Yes

Th waiting list is long for cabin crew and has been for the past twenty plus years with many applicants not making the grade even after several attempts.
The low hanging fruit to which you refer seems to hang around at Cathay for a very long time........

In the West 'ratting out' fellow colleagues is so prevalent that it has become an art form.
The Cathay culture is a much benevolent one than many airlines although those not performing will not progress far which causes much shouting by the lazy and discontented on the 'Cathay Secrets' forum to which you refer.

I see from your post that you participated in more than one Cathay job interview and one assumes that you were much more positive about the airline at that time a clearly keen to be employed.
'Decent and fair" yes and BTW pilots are not cabin crew. The pilot training story of some months ago to which you refer was a beat-up and proved to be totally untrue....... as you probably well know.
brunos, TravelLawyer and moondog like this.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 11:19 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
'Fear is spreading.' Employees expose culture of fear at Hong Kong's flagship airline
https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/30/asia/...hnk/index.html
Old Sep 30, 2019, 5:07 am

RTHK carried a news item today quoting the Cabin Crew Federation trades union, saying that the number of employees (cabin crew but also others) who have been fired by airlines in Hong Kong over recent events is thirty two. My understanding of the report was that they were mostly from Cathay, although written news sources suggest that that number is just from Cathay.
Maybe there'll be a clarification in the regular feature of the next edition Silk Road where an employee explains how Cathay operates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.