Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HNL/KOA flight departure question (lie flat seats)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2019, 8:27 am
Original Poster

I have a decent one way flight booked to KOA, connecting through DFW, F with lie-flat seats.

Looking at return flights. I can't find anything with a similar routing, with lie-flat configuration. Or any routing on a 777-200 coming back to DC area. If I were looking for something coming back on AA with lie-flat, what I should I be looking for? I'm OK with taking a HA flight to HNL, but couldn't find any obvious options through HNL either.

Thanks!
Old Sep 18, 2019, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
I have a decent one way flight booked to KOA, connecting through DFW, F with lie-flat seats.

Looking at return flights. I can't find anything with a similar routing, with lie-flat configuration. Or any routing on a 777-200 coming back to DC area. If I were looking for something coming back on AA with lie-flat, what I should I be looking for? I'm OK with taking a HA flight to HNL, but couldn't find any obvious options through HNL either.

Thanks!
Use Google Flights to force a routing through DFW. The DFW-Hawaii flights on 772's are the only lie-flat options to Hawaii on AA. When are your dates?
Old Sep 18, 2019, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Thanks JJeffrey. Am fairly flexible on the return and will check out google flights during lunch. Looking for a good value in F anytime in the neighborhood of 9/29 - 10/2. I can position to come back from any of the islands, but think the lie-flats are probably only through HNL over those dates. (?)
Old Sep 18, 2019, 9:01 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Use Google Flights to force a routing through DFW. The DFW-Hawaii flights on 772's are the only lie-flat options to Hawaii on AA. When are your dates?
AA also flies seasonal ORD-HNL with 788s IIRC.
airb330 likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Thanks JJeffrey. Am fairly flexible on the return and will check out google flights during lunch. Looking for a good value in F anytime in the neighborhood of 9/29 - 10/2. I can position to come back from any of the islands, but think the lie-flats are probably only through HNL over those dates. (?)
Yea, at both aa.com and Google Flights I was just able to easily see HNL-DFW-DCA and OGG-DFW-DCA routings for 9/29, 9/30, etc.

Now, it's an entirely different question whether these options will be the best value in F.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Thanks JJeffrey. That is so odd. I wonder why I wasn't able to see them on aa.com. Most everything was routed through PHX or LAX. Taking another look now.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Thanks JJeffrey. That is so odd. I wonder why I wasn't able to see them on aa.com. Most everything was routed through PHX or LAX. Taking another look now.
Likely due to price. To Hawaii, in my experience, PHX is the cheapest, then LAX and then with a markup, DFW.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antarius
Likely due to price. To Hawaii, in my experience, PHX is the cheapest, then LAX and then with a markup, DFW.
Yeah, I saw that too, when booking my outbound. Same thing holds coming back. Think I wasn't seeing it before because I was mainly checking KOA vice HNL and missed the couple of HNL flights on my spot checks. There's some availability on the DFW flights, but the routings are painful, and also have to check for AA's shenanigans on the pricing. There's a few really good pricings on my days --- although mostly through PHX or LAX --- but when checking carefully they're not "real". Some segments are actually in economy. The first "real" reasonably good deal in F is not until 10/2. But then there is a cost for each additional night, so it's pretty much a wash. Except for the lie-flats.

I'll sort it all out this afternoon; thanks for everyone's help. Am flying out on American Friday and that gets me to Gold for next year. AA hasn't deigned to send me one of the Plat promotions, so I have no specific impetus to not shop around for the return flight. :-)
Old Sep 18, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
DFW-KOA is a "seasonal" flight. I put seasonal in quotes because it doesn't operate like most AA seasonal routes, namely with a single (summer/winter) season per year. Instead, it operates several "mini-seasons" throughout the year--think summer, maybe a week or two around Thanksgiving and spring break, a month or two around the year-end holidays. Outside of those times of year, you're stuck going through HNL or OGG for lie flats.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 12:14 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
You can also route through OGG (OGG-DFW is 772). On 10/2 I'm seeing J5 R5 D5 I4 on EF for OGG-DFW, which tells me you might be able to find the lower (discounted) premium cabin seats that book into I.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by dll
You can also route through OGG (OGG-DFW is 772). On 10/2 I'm seeing J5 R5 D5 I4 on EF for OGG-DFW, which tells me you might be able to find the lower (discounted) premium cabin seats that book into I.
HA is pretty cheap inter-island for F (Usually around $150 a leg) and the flight is only about 20 minutes from KOA to OGG. Checked baggage would be a bit of a headache

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.