Search

First Advice

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2019, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
First Advice

Hello All,

Newbie here however read tons of reviews and expertise over the last few weeks on this forum – which has been extremely insightful.

Just needed some advice on seat selection in First on a 787-9 LHR to SEZ (booked via BA Holidays). Allot of people review the seats next to the windows and fully understand why, however on this trip I will be travelling with my wife (a nervous flyer) so wanted to know what the seats are like in the middle.

Are they slightly more intimate, and you can see one another when sitting upward? Guessing not as these seats would be designed for privacy - we could hold hands when the blind is down. Although is there much difference than the other option, of one sitting next to the window and the other in the aisle? Apologies as only asking this question as she really is a nervous flyer – any sign of turbulence causes her unrest.

Besides the obvious of loosing a window sitting in the middle – are there any other differences?

Through My first I’ve managed to reserve a Cabana – cant imagine using it greatly as from the videos they look quite worn and outdated. However thought it an idea to use for freshening up before the flight.

My wife also is a vegetarian and I don’t like cheese – is this worth mention beforehand and if so who to?

Any other trips\tricks and advice would gratefully be received.

Thank you
Old Sep 18, 2019, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
The seats in the middle are perfect for a couple, you can see each other perfectly with the divider screen lowered.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by wdcosta117

Just needed some advice on seat selection in First on a 787-9 LHR to SEZ (booked via BA Holidays). Allot of people review the seats next to the windows and fully understand why, however on this trip I will be travelling with my wife (a nervous flyer) so wanted to know what the seats are like in the middle.

My SO is a bit of a nervous flyer too. I usually put us in window seats one in front of the other. It makes her more comfortable to look out the window. If it's a night flight you'll be asleep anyway, so there won't be a ton of time to talk anyway. We usually take turns standing up at the other's seat with a drink, and chatting. I get up and walk around a lot though. I can't speak to the specific seats on the 789. My first flight on that won't be until December.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
Same here. I've just booked EDI LHR OPO (in Y, boo) and have picked 21A and 22A.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 8:15 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by wdcosta117

My wife also is a vegetarian and I don’t like cheese – is this worth mention beforehand and if so who to?

It's likely that you'll get the opportunity in Manage My Booking to preselect your meals from the onboard menu, or to select a special meal type if you wish. On board, you could certainly mention your preferences to a crew member once everyone is onboard and settled with their welcome drinks.

Re the middle seats on a 787 F - they're perfect for a couple if you would like to sit next to each other.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 8:26 am

Don't forget that you can eat across the table from each other too - I usually take the jump-seat. It is really such a treat and for that reason the window seats may be just fine for you. One trip we made 4 of us ate that way and the captain's wife who was on her own - well he was working - took photos and said she felt jealous of the impromptu dinner party. We haven't flown on the 787, but the 772s, 380s and 744s are all great for this.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is not possible on the B787 DoubleDot.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: BA: Silver,
middle seats are perfect. My wife and I did LHR - AUH - LHR and had A/E seats on the way out, and E/F on way back. E/F was great for being together. See my trip report.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Some great advice there, and things I didn’t think of so will defiantly check manage my booking for the meal choices.

Love the idea of having dinner for 2 across one another although as Can I help you mentioned – not sure if its possible with the configuration. However will defiantly try as defiantly a surreal experience in the air.

Ibmman never thought of doing it like that – however nice shout as I’m sure will move around in the cabin so seating down in the other halves “pod” or just standing may help. I think when the inevitable turbulence hits we need to be strapped in, so having the middle seats where we have some interaction seems best.

Onaswan will try to figure out to read your trip report – could be an interesting and informative read.

Looking forward to finally experiencing CC at LHR - being a smoker (vape) im reluctant to check in too far in advance.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok so clarify there is no buddy seat on the B787 for you to dine together or a seat where you can sit with each other, I would definitely go for the two middle seats.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: BA: Silver,
Also, just thought... The A seats and K seats sit slightly forward of their middle (E and F) counterparts so an A - E combo isn't really side-by-side.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 10:40 am

In your case I would definitely go for the two middle seats. They’re nice. Travelling as a pair I think it’s the way to go, especially if you value being able to speak easily without craning your neck and enjoy the odd glimpse of what the other is up to (nice at meal times!).

As CIHY says you cannot buddy dine on the 787 so all the more reason to go for a middle pair IMO.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 10:51 am

I predict you will defy all odds and have a great time while you defy gravity.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G
Loving couple here.. So always middle seats.. No matter what.. That said, I don't care about a window at all.
Holding hands is fun.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 11:38 am

I think in your circumstances definitely go for the middle pair, you would be able to reassure her far more if there is turbulence.
We go for two window seats despite still loving each other as I am disabled and in an emergency would need my husband on the same aisle to help me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.