Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 15, 2019, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Was originally 18-22, now 18-23

1. Must be a MileagePlus member aged 18-23, at the time of booking, to be eligible for discounted fares.
  2. Birthday field must be completed within MileagePlus account.
  3. Discounted fares only available in the United mobile app when signed into your MileagePlus account.
    1. Fares that are discounted are indicated in the booking path.
  4. Minimum 5% discount on United or United Express operated flights within North America originating in the United States. All published, non-contracted economy class fares are eligible. Specialty contracted/net/bulk or government fares are not eligible.
  5. Varying discounts on select United and United Express International flights originating in the United States.
    1. May also be valid on certain codeshare flights identified with a “UA*” flight number and operated by Lufthansa, Swiss, Austrian, Brussels, Air Canada, ANA or Air New Zealand.
  6. Tickets must be purchased by September 30, 2024.
  7. Offer not valid on previously purchased tickets.
  8. All rules and travel restrictions of the purchased fare apply. When applicable, refunds may be issued based on the amount paid; however, additional charges may apply.
  9. Domestic and International fare discounts do not apply to taxes/fees/surcharges, including passenger facility charges, international departure tax, customs users/immigration fees, agricultural tax or airport security charges. It is the responsibility of the passenger to pay such amounts at time of ticketing. In addition, the discount does not apply to checked baggage or other fees.
  10. Not combinable with any other discount travel certificate, MileagePlus reward or other discounted fares.
  11. MileagePlus mileage credit is awarded based on the discounted fare purchased.
  12. In the event of a flight irregularity, alternative travel will be provided on flights operated by United, United Express, or those listed as “UA*” flights.
  13. United Airlines reserves the right to modify or terminate this promotional offer without prior notice.
  14. Miles, awards and benefits are subject to the rules of the United MileagePlus program. For details, see www.united.com.
FAQs

Print Wikipost

Young adult discounted travel

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2019, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Young adult discounted travel

Couldn't find a thread on the new 10% discount for young adults (18-22). Wish they had announced this earlier, pretty nice little perk and have been availing myself to it before I become ineligible soon.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by VWang1111
Couldn't find a thread on the new 10% discount for young adults (18-22). Wish they had announced this earlier, pretty nice little perk and have been availing myself to it before I become ineligible soon.
What does the fine print say?
Old Sep 15, 2019, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
What does the fine print say?
Good question.
Seems to be booked now through December 31, for Economy and Basic Economy tickets.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 7:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by VWang1111
Couldn't find a thread on the new 10% discount for young adults (18-22). ....
Link?
Old Sep 15, 2019, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Link?
Buried in the MP promotions section
Old Sep 15, 2019, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...heir%20ticket.

• Passengers must be MileagePlus Members.
  • Passengers must list their birth date in their MileagePlus profile.
  • The flight must be booked through United's mobile app.
  • Seats selected for the flight must be in economy.
  • Reservations can include only one passenger.
"Tickets within the USA, Canada and Mexico are eligible to be discounted under the promotion. Some additional international destinations are included in the discount."
Old Sep 15, 2019, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by wavid
Somebody please tell me this isn't a gimmick like the old bereavement and humanitarian service (eg missionary) discounts, where the discount applied to higher priced fares, like full fare, only. I never saw the fares the best you could actually find without doing the so-called discount. Not post-deregulation anyway.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 7:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by wavid
Appears to be a promotion to get 18-22 to sign up for MP, get the UA app on their phones and provide a target market pool for UA.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 8:14 pm

Side note with just a thought I have regarding this promotion. I completely understand the reasoning behind this (sign up for MP, become a customer at a young age). But...how are promotions like this not age discrimination against everyone else? What if the promotion was only for a specific race instead of age? For example, "Asian customers receive 10% off" (with hopes to capture more market share from the most populated continent in the world). I'd guess that the media today would be 100% negative about a promotion being targeted to a certain demographic of people. No point to this post besides wanting to see what others think!
Old Sep 15, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by Long Zhiren
Somebody please tell me this isn't a gimmick like the old bereavement and humanitarian service (eg missionary) discounts, where the discount applied to higher priced fares, like full fare, only. I never saw the fares the best you could actually find without doing the so-called discount. Not post-deregulation anyway.
It's legit. Even work on basic economy fares.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 8:27 pm

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
It works, sorta.

Through the app, the discount is applied. However they didn’t bother to conceive of the possibility that the same purchaser could be premier so the app tries to charge extra fees for selecting E+ seating as you go through the purchase flow. So you have to select E- seats and wait until after ticketing to change.

Then, at the last step in the purchase flow, the app crashes. So then you get to try to figure out whether the purchase was completed or not.

Crappy implementation and testing by the app team.
SFO_LOW_CLOUDS likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by bmr12
It works, sorta.

Through the app, the discount is applied. However they didn’t bother to conceive of the possibility that the same purchaser could be premier so the app tries to charge extra fees for selecting E+ seating as you go through the purchase flow. So you have to select E- seats and wait until after ticketing to change.

Then, at the last step in the purchase flow, the app crashes. So then you get to try to figure out whether the purchase was completed or not.

Crappy implementation and testing by the app team.
It's not great but I was able to get it to ticket. Pretty nice discount and the seats can be changed after booking to E+.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by zeus2120
But...how are promotions like this not age discrimination against everyone else?
Discounts targeted to a certain age - like senior discounts or in this case young adults is considered legal under US Federal law.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 9:12 pm
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by zeus2120
Side note with just a thought I have regarding this promotion. I completely understand the reasoning behind this (sign up for MP, become a customer at a young age). But...how are promotions like this not age discrimination against everyone else? What if the promotion was only for a specific race instead of age? For example, "Asian customers receive 10% off" (with hopes to capture more market share from the most populated continent in the world). I'd guess that the media today would be 100% negative about a promotion being targeted to a certain demographic of people. No point to this post besides wanting to see what others think!
Age discrimination has a very specific scope that mostly applies to employee-employer relationships.. Car insurance companies regularly discriminate based on age. I am sure United's lawyers have vetted this quite well.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 9:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by _fx
Car insurance companies regularly discriminate based on age.
Car rental companies, too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.