Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands
Reload this Page >

Questions on Long Layover at TPE (short haul to long haul)

Old Sep 15, 2019, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Try the search function on FT but either getting errors or irrelevant very old threads (like several years old...)

We will fly HKG-TPE-IAH but the layover at TPE is a ridiculously long 10.5 hours.

ETA is 11:40 at T2, Departure is 22:00 at T2.

Our thought is to store our bags at the airport lockers (seem there are some across from Pelican) then take the MTR to town for several hours, then head back to the airport at least 3 hours before flight given it is to US.

Hope to get answers on some questions so to make sure the above plan is feasible.

Thinking out loud here and hope to get some advice from the community -

1) Holders of both HKSAR and US passports, do we need to get a visa ahead or it is more like "Visa on Arrival" granted at immigration?

2) Is there a Fast Track for J passengers to go thru custom / immigration on arrival?
How long it usually takes to go thru custom /immigration at a noon arrival?
How long it usually takes to do the reverse at 18:00?

3) Based on the information found, it takes 35min (on Express train) or almost an hour (on regular train)
to get to the Main Station at Taipei. Considering the train schedules, time spent to find the right
platform, etc a 2 hours block for the R/T journey is a safer approach.

4) This then comes down how much "actual time" we may realistically have on hand for this excursion to
town.
Optimistically, clearing custom/immigration both directions would take 1.5 hrs to 2 hrs time
Get some Taiwanese dollars so can use the locker, figure out how to use the locker - 0.5 hr
Trains both way 2 hrs.
Total time blocked - minimum 4 hrs for the above chores
Must be back to airport 3 hrs before flight due to additional security for US bound flights.

After subtracting the needed block time of 7 hours, all we have left is just 3 hours in town - may be not a worthwhile thing to do, considering Taipei is a familiar city to us. Just that initial thought of a 10.5 hours really scare us.

If we decide to stay put, TPE is not really an airport like SIN where one can literally spend a day without getting bored should one have to endure a long layover. I also read some not so nice reviews on both EVA and SQ lounges at TPE - not places one would want to spend hours there.

It is truly a dilemma and of course a 1st world problem Still, hope to get some thoughts as to, What would you do in such situation?

Thanks a lot for your thoughts.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Happy - Your plan to go into town is a good plan. You will have adequate time. With a USA passport, no visa is needed. Your passport will be stamped with a 90 day entry permit. There is no fast track. I always arrive in the evening. Immigration takes no more than 10 minutes. You will have no difficulty taking the train into town. Recently there has been no additional security for USA flights. You could have your bags checked all the way through to the USA. Enjoy.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
No visa needed for US passport. I did a noonish arrival recently and it took about 20min and a 7pm departure which also took 20min. There is no fasttrack for J (much to my dismay)I say 15min to walk to MRT, buy token, get to platform after immigration. Lockers are pretty straightforward. Make sure to take the express train but an hour each way is safe in case you miss a train. 3 hours is ALOT for TPE unless you want to hang out at SQ lounge which I think is better than the BR one. There was no additional security flying to JFK on BR. In my case, I was running late so left Taipei Main Station about an hour and half before departure and made it through security, immigration and even had time to stop at the Infinity for a drink and to freshen up but I was the last to board I think. Would not recommend but just saying it's doable.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Alright, I need to convince the spousal unit who does not like the hassle, plus we have been in Taiwan a few times so not a stranger to town. Just the idea of spending an extensive layover at the TPE airport is a scary thought. lol.

Plus there are no good lounge options at TPE - since the real Star A member lounges are limited to BR and SQ, though we also have access to Plaza Premium which some say is slightly better, but it has a Max 3 hours usage although there are 2 at T2. Wish we can spend time at China Airlines Dynasty but it is a contract lounge to Air China, so does not do us any good flying BR.

Before we use the locker, we need to either get some NTD from an ATM or a money changer as it seems the locker only takes either Cash or a Prepaid card (similar to the Octopus in Hong Kong). I assume there should be such facilities very nearby.

Realistically we would have 4 hours in Taipei proper but we probably would just wondering the vicinity of the Main Station which arguably not the nicer parts of town. Need to formulate a talk to convince my husband to take the "hassle".

Also I suppose BR would not put us on a later flight depart from HKG given it is an Aeroplan partner award ticket. If BR could do so then it would be the ideal world. Not going to happen I am sure.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Happy - You could make a quick trip to the National Palace Museum. Take a taxi from Taipei Main Station.

I very much doubt BR will change you to a later HKG-TPE flight, if you have an Aeroplan award ticket. You would need to talk to Aeroplan to change this ticket. Good luck.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: DL Silver, AC E75K, Chatime Elite
I've traveled on 014 stock before and had a same-day change. It was a TPE-HKG routing and they had no issues putting me on an earlier flight since I arrived at the airport well before departure. Keep in mind that there has to be available seats, of course. Luckily, it was a 777-300er and the cabin was only about 1/3 full.

As for a later flight, they might; it can't hurt to ask.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

10.5 hours go by pretty fast and I think it is too rushed to go into Taipei - it is definitely doable but...

The airport is nowhere nearly as fancy as any of the nearby airports but there are little displays all over the departure concourses to explore - ranging from Taiwan Black Bear to Hello Kitty

If you do want to leave the airport, consider other places along the way on the Tao Yuan Metro line: https://www.tymetro.com.tw/tymetro-n...tractions.html although I cannot make any recommendations.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TTC192Rocket
I've traveled on 014 stock before and had a same-day change. It was a TPE-HKG routing and they had no issues putting me on an earlier flight since I arrived at the airport well before departure. Keep in mind that there has to be available seats, of course. Luckily, it was a 777-300er and the cabin was only about 1/3 full.

As for a later flight, they might; it can't hurt to ask.
So BR just move you to an earlier flight W/O the need to get Aeroplan to reissue them a new ticket? Was this the stand alone segment or the last segment of your itinerary?

We would stay at SkyCity the night before. It may be worth the trouble to go to HKG BR check in counter and inquire if they could move us to a later flight to arrive in TPE in the afternoon. Heck even if it means they have to downgrade us to coach on the HKG-TPE segment, I would take it.

Originally Posted by username
10.5 hours go by pretty fast and I think it is too rushed to go into Taipei - it is definitely doable but...

The airport is nowhere nearly as fancy as any of the nearby airports but there are little displays all over the departure concourses to explore - ranging from Taiwan Black Bear to Hello Kitty

If you do want to leave the airport, consider other places along the way on the Tao Yuan Metro line: https://www.tymetro.com.tw/tymetro-n...tractions.html although I cannot make any recommendations.
My husband wholeheartedly agree with you. He has no interest to go to town for a few hours without any purpose. Thanks for the suggestions to take a look on the stops along the way.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 2:58 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AC E75K, Chatime Elite
I was in the middle of my Mini-RTW. There was no need to reissue a ticket as the other flights were unaffected.

I simply asked if I could be put on an earlier flight given the loads, and after checking with a supervisor, the check-in agent printed off the new boarding pass.

Asking to be put on a later flight is something I've not asked before.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
There's no airport/lounge I'd be happy spending a 10-hour layover at - not even FCT. Since you're familiar with Taipei, surely there is something you would want to spend a few hours doing, even if it's just eating food.

Originally Posted by Happy
Realistically we would have 4 hours in Taipei proper but we probably would just wondering the vicinity of the Main Station which arguably not the nicer parts of town. Need to formulate a talk to convince my husband to take the "hassle".
Taipei Main Station area is old(er) Taipei, but suggesting it isn't a "nice part of town" is quite odd. There are certainly much newer districts in Taipei, but they aren't "nicer parts of town".
Old Sep 16, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Titanium
Definitely head into the city if you can.

I had a 7-hour laoyver there in January, brought my backpack as my only carryon, and headed out to see Taipei 101. All in all it was pretty inexpensive and much more fun than spending the day in the lounge.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 8:38 am

Not sure why you have to store you luggage, wouldn't be checked all the way through from HKG to IAH ?

Personally I made sure I had a long (7+ hours) evening layover so I can hit the night market in Taipei for some awesome snacks, but the airport offers free tours that likely will fit your schedule

Free Half-Day Tour

Plan to get back to the BR lounge with enough time for a shower. use the E-gate when "exiting" Taipei (thanks to the other thread)

Unless you plan to only take the free tour, you will need some NT$, grab whatever and blow the rest on duty free (get some kavalan whiskey), they have no problems taking mixed currency

Edit: I see that the afternoon free tour now goes into the city @ Ximending and Taipei 101, so you'll definitely want some cash for snacks in the Ximending area

Edit 2: If you take the free tour and want to go up on Taipei 101, simply abandon the tour there and make your own way back to the airport, you'll have plenty of time and there are shopping in that area

Last edited by Virginia Emery; Sep 16, 2019 at 8:51 am
Old Sep 16, 2019, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Virginia Emery
Not sure why you have to store you luggage, wouldn't be checked all the way through from HKG to IAH ?

Personally I made sure I had a long (7+ hours) evening layover so I can hit the night market in Taipei for some awesome snacks, but the airport offers free tours that likely will fit your schedule

Free Half-Day Tour

Plan to get back to the BR lounge with enough time for a shower. use the E-gate when "exiting" Taipei (thanks to the other thread)

Unless you plan to only take the free tour, you will need some NT$, grab whatever and blow the rest on duty free (get some kavalan whiskey), they have no problems taking mixed currency

Edit: I see that the afternoon free tour now goes into the city @ Ximending and Taipei 101, so you'll definitely want some cash for snacks in the Ximending area

Edit 2: If you take the free tour and want to go up on Taipei 101, simply abandon the tour there and make your own way back to the airport, you'll have plenty of time and there are shopping in that area
IAH is not our final destination. We have an overnight lay over upon arriving ETA 11pm with a 950am flight the next morning. The last thing we want is to have to retrieve our carryon size bags at IAH before taking the landside "underground" to Marriott iAH given the underground last train is 01:30am. With GE andno checked bag we hope to hop on the underground before 12am and settle in our room before 01:30.

Also should the bags misconnect at TPE given the long 10.5 hrs between 2 flights, this is a real possibility - we would not have much time to deal with this either on our arrival at IAH or the departure the next morning. It can be a nightmare. We travel frequent enough and learn the lesson is to AVOID checked bag in itinerary like that.

If IAH is our final destination, I would not hesitate to check our carryons thru.

Thanks for the Free Tour information. Neither places are of any interest to us. Been there done on previous actual visits to Taiwan. No need to repeat, especially Ximengding, (nor the nightmarkets around town for that matter)

Last edited by Happy; Sep 16, 2019 at 11:43 am
Old Sep 19, 2019, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...and TPE was just voted as one of the "15 airports you'll actually want to have a long layover in": https://www.businessinsider.com/airp...over-in-2015-7

It is because: "Taoyuan International Airport in Taipei, Taiwan, has an e-book airport library where you can rent an iPad or e-reader with around 400 books, as well as an additional array of regular books, newspapers and magazines which all come in English and Chinese."
Old Sep 23, 2019, 12:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Once you start flying on the ticket, BR takes control and Aeroplan no longer needs to make any changes, unless you encounter a lazy BR agent who doesn't want to be bothered. There should be no problem doing a same-day change as long as space is open.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.