Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Captain announcement not from the flightdeck

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2019, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver (but only temporarily) AVIS Presidents Club, Starbucks Gold

BA2720 LGW-AGP Sunday 14th. First time ever I've seen the Captain introduce himself from the fron of the cabin rather than just a voice coming over on the PA. Pretty cool I thought and he got a round of applause.

Anybody else has this experience before?

ML
Old Sep 15, 2019, 6:12 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Marriott LTP
I think this Captain is a regular on that route. He did the same on 11th Sept, BA2715 AGP-LGW to much applause considering it was the day after the strikes.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 6:22 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Indeed there are one or two captains / SCCM that like to stand central aisle to do announcements anyway, but usually it's bad news when this happens. If s/he starts "Ladies and gentlemen, I've got goods news and bad news..." - and usually the bad news is some sort of delay. The good news is boundless confidence that it may not be quite so bad.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 6:28 am

Programs: BA Silver
Had it a few times, including once when the plane was waiting fully boarded at the gate for departure. Noting there was a 30 minute wait before we could leave the gate, the captain stood in front of everyone on the plane, and invited anyone interested into to the cockpit for a talk/selfie. Great way to keep spirits up within the plane, and a fantastic way to keep the passengers entertained.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 6:28 am

You might also enjoy this video which did the rounds last week...

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/o...-a4229501.html
Old Sep 15, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: AAdvantage
I had one come out with a spanner mid-Atlantic in the middle of the night and start fiddling under the floorboards - that didn’t get a round of applause.

(The aisle lighting was flashing on and off.)
nancypants and narvik like this.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Mountlodge
BA2720 LGW-AGP Sunday 14th. First time ever I've seen the Captain introduce himself from the fron of the cabin rather than just a voice coming over on the PA. Pretty cool I thought and he got a round of applause.

Anybody else has this experience before?

ML
I had that on my flight LGW/TFS in March. He introduced himself, gave some info about the flight, made the kids laugh and we all seemed to rather like it.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 7:20 am

Programs: QF WP
Not quite the same but had a most excellent delayed 747 service DME-LHR, Christmas eve of 2013. Captain and crew came out to make an announcement in the gate area and were smart enough to line up someone to translate to Russian, then went off to the lounge to speak to the chaps there. I was tentatively rebooked on Swiss via GVA but in the end the predicted multiple hours of repairs to the flaps ended up as about 1 hour (god I love Russian engineering). But the professionalism has stuck with me to this day
Old Sep 15, 2019, 7:23 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I've seen it once on a KLM 747 to Nairobi. Cpt just stood by one of the doors using what I imagine the FA's use to address the cabin. I've seen a BA captain address the passengers waiting in the gate seating area in GVA to explain that there were long delays due to fog but that he wanted to get us onboard in case a slot came forward. A nice touch I thought. I generally find BA skippers very good like that.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 7:32 am

Cathay had an F/E rush out of F crash axe in hand chasing a rat. Unfortuately someone got a photo of him which appeared in the South China Morning Post. To say the bosses were not amused is rather an understatement.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 7:49 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I think I might know which LGW captain it is! He's ace

Originally Posted by rapidex
Cathay had an F/E rush out of F crash axe in hand chasing a rat. Unfortuately someone got a photo of him which appeared in the South China Morning Post. To say the bosses were not amused is rather an understatement.
Could have chased him around with a piece of Swiss cheese instead?
Shingi likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 8:08 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
I think I know the chap you mean. He has flown the FAO-LGW route a couple of times I have been on it. I think it’s a really nice touch, made all the more so because he seems a very personable fellow.
Shingi and jerseytom like this.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Had a captain do this before a short haul flight back to LHR this week. To the point made above by c-w-s, the flight was already delayed, and ended up further delayed..
Old Sep 15, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: AA: Life time PLT; HH Diamond
Yes, but usually means "trouble at mill" (delays)

Last edited by wemyss; Sep 15, 2019 at 9:24 am
Old Sep 15, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
I've flown with CA's that do this and I've done this myself. It doesn't mean anything specific or that something is wrong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.