Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Question-Would you get MQD if AeroMexico change your flt to United?

Old Aug 25, 2019, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Here is my quandary
On a flight that was delayed for almost 6 hours out of MEX (MEX-ICN, AM90) on 25 Aug. Was scheduled to take AM91 (INC-MEX) at 1245 on 26th. Then a connection later in the day on the 26th to SFO. The same plane (but of course each flight is different crews that arrive from the flight prior) So now this plane will arrive perhaps less than 2 hours before its SCHEDULED to depart on the 26th. I am fairly confident I will have her time issues getting thru any customs, etc

But I have now just seen that it seems AeroMexico reservation system has booked me on United flight (UA892) which is direct ICN > SFO. While this would have me get back to SFO quicker. I am fairly confident that I will NOT get AM to reflect the trip details and get the MQD that I was expecting (and the primary reason for this particular trip.

Has anyone had this before? I might be more inclined to think i MIGHT get MQM and MQD equalivate to what I expected on the original flight details if this was on Delta. But its AM and there are enough issues with getting miles and MQD correctly at times between AM and Delta when you fly on a AM ticket.

Just wondering if anyone has datapoints to share.

I plan on landing and immediately take to local staff and request to be kept on the original flight details and NOT the (later in the day) direct flight on United
Have spoke to AM on Twitter and about all I get is "...we kindly suggest you contact Delta after the trip has been completed..."
Old Aug 25, 2019, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
DL should be willing to give you ORC - Original routing credit. You'll have to contact DL, and will likely have to explain multiple times, but should get it. Best though if they can keep you on the flight, with a MEX-SFO flight on UA if you miss the AM flight.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

yes, that is MY hope too. I am going to do everything I can to try to make and stay on the original flights.
I don't hold out its of hope to win the fight with Delta. Considering it was not them as the original ticket. Its of course from AM (to get it MQD at the Partner rate)
And AM (based on what I have had before and this time) has really no desire or interest is pursuing.

Guess it will be a bit more clear in 4 or 5 hours. (fingers crossed)
thanks for feedback

Last edited by rizrizriz; Aug 25, 2019 at 4:51 pm Reason: minor update
Old Aug 25, 2019, 5:08 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I've been through this with a VA flight that was rebooked onto NZ.

It is VERY difficult to get ORC on a partner flight not booked through DL. Essentially, you will have to get the ticketing airline to push ORC to DL, which they won't know how to do or won't want to do.

In your case, you'll need to appeal to AM to push ORC to Delta, essentially telling DL that you flew the flight even though you didn't. Because this costs AM money, and possibly they don't even know how, they won't want to do it. AM will say talk to DL about Skymiles problems, DL will say that they can't post miles for a AM flight, it has to be in initiated by AM (DL is right).

Additionally, not all airlines have a policy for ORC. In my case, VA said they don't do ORC in their own program so they won't do it in this case.

It took about 6 months and maybe 20 emails and phone calls to get my flight posted, and I was top status on VA, and they did it as the famous 'one time exception'. (I was crediting to DL because I already reached top VA status). So it is possible. But I say your chances are slim unless you really want to fight for it.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

thanks @CPMaverick. Thats exactly what I am thinking too. The "positive" part is this still not a "done deal" yet. Still on the AM 90 flight.(have just about 2.5 hour remaining) and just under 3.5 hours before the scheduled departure of AM91 (via the same plane)
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 6:11 pm

Ive been on a Delta ticketed KLM operated flight that due to IRROPS in Amsterdam they had to put me on a BA flight and I got ORC as it was still on a 006 ticket and connected to Delta when i called them.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by Dfindy
Ive been on a Delta ticketed KLM operated flight that due to IRROPS in Amsterdam they had to put me on a BA flight and I got ORC as it was still on a 006 ticket and connected to Delta when i called them.
A Delta ticketed itinerary is a completely different story. The OP is not on a Delta ticket.

If you bought a ticket from DL on 006 stock then ORC is straightforward as DL knows what you paid for and controls the ticket.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Perhaps I'm in the minority, but why should Delta be expected to provide ORC for a ticket that they didn't issue and have no control over?

ijgordon and manacit like this.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by WWads
Perhaps I'm in the minority, but why should Delta be expected to provide ORC for a ticket that they didn't issue and have no control over?
I don't think anyone said they should. In fact it isn't DL providing ORC at all. It's the airline you ticketed with sending a request to DL for ORC. The requesting airline 'pays' for that credit.

In the OP example, he wants AM to provide ORC to his Skymiles account, and is simply asking if that is possible.
rizrizriz likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 12:30 am

Programs: DL Plat
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
I've been through this with a VA flight that was rebooked onto NZ.

It is VERY difficult to get ORC on a partner flight not booked through DL. Essentially, you will have to get the ticketing airline to push ORC to DL, which they won't know how to do or won't want to do.

In your case, you'll need to appeal to AM to push ORC to Delta, essentially telling DL that you flew the flight even though you didn't. Because this costs AM money, and possibly they don't even know how, they won't want to do it. AM will say talk to DL about Skymiles problems, DL will say that they can't post miles for a AM flight, it has to be in initiated by AM (DL is right).

Additionally, not all airlines have a policy for ORC. In my case, VA said they don't do ORC in their own program so they won't do it in this case.

It took about 6 months and maybe 20 emails and phone calls to get my flight posted, and I was top status on VA, and they did it as the famous 'one time exception'. (I was crediting to DL because I already reached top VA status). So it is possible. But I say your chances are slim unless you really want to fight for it.
If AM has to push it I would ask AM once. If/when they say no I would file a dot complaint and let their dot liason fix it. This is likely to be a lot easier than going through the call center/finding the right contact.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by runningformqm

If AM has to push it I would ask AM once. If/when they say no I would file a dot complaint and let their dot liason fix it. This is likely to be a lot easier than going through the call center/finding the right contact.
What would the DOT complaint be?

Last edited by KDCAflyer; Aug 26, 2019 at 3:15 am
Old Aug 26, 2019, 1:11 am

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
This isn't entirely analogous, but maybe it can be a helpful reference.

Last year, I flew HND-ICN-DXB-JED on a KE-ticketed itinerary, with the final leg flown by SV with a KE flight number. Therefore, KE's earning rules apply. However, on the return flight, my JED-DXB was canceled and we were placed into an earlier flight, also by SV, but when the mileage came due, I earned the first segment under SV rules instead of KE's as that's how the new flight was marketed.

One email to DL and the issue was resolved instantly. Even though this was ST, I can't imagine DL's actively trying to get out of giving mileage credit to people if the request is reasonable enough.

I would call AM and see if it's possible for them to route you on KE/DL (via LAX or SEA)...
Old Aug 26, 2019, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride
This isn't entirely analogous, but maybe it can be a helpful reference.

Last year, I flew HND-ICN-DXB-JED on a KE-ticketed itinerary, with the final leg flown by SV with a KE flight number. Therefore, KE's earning rules apply. However, on the return flight, my JED-DXB was canceled and we were placed into an earlier flight, also by SV, but when the mileage came due, I earned the first segment under SV rules instead of KE's as that's how the new flight was marketed.

One email to DL and the issue was resolved instantly. Even though this was ST, I can't imagine DL's actively trying to get out of giving mileage credit to people if the request is reasonable enough.

I would call AM and see if it's possible for them to route you on KE/DL (via LAX or SEA)...
This would be the best solution. In addition to the mileage issues, I know I would prefer staying on ST metal if at all possible. That way there's less chance of getting screwed in the event of day-of IRROPS.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 2:14 am

Programs: DL PM
a few years ago i had an intra-europe alitalia flight cancelled and i was rebooked on a later AZ codeshare operated by fly niki

initially it posted as no credit (since it wasn't skyteam-operated) but i managed to get ORC after just writing in on dl.com and explaining what happened

i don't know about MQDs specifically because i am outside the US, but i did get the MQMs credited -- the ticket was booked through alitalia

Last edited by roberta_h; Aug 26, 2019 at 2:26 am Reason: fly niki not etihad, oops
Old Aug 26, 2019, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by runningformqm

HA. FF credit for flights unflown has nothing to do with DOT, nor should it. It's purely an unregulated CS issue.
KDCAflyer and rizrizriz like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.