Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Bonvoy credit card in Germany?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2019, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bovoy, Lufthansa Miles & More
Thumbs down No Bonvoy credit card in Germany?

Why is there no Bonvoy credit card in Germany. It’s a bit unfair, that in other countries you get free nights and all hotel spendings with much higher points accounted. Reaching elite levels with this major difference is a very unfair thing, as in US it’s much easier to become a high tier member, then e.g. in Germany
Old Aug 25, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
One would think that the overhead of implementing a credit card partnership with a German bank would be low, but isn't the country notorious for using credit cards much less than other rich countries? Are there many affinity credit cards in the country?
Old Aug 25, 2019, 9:35 am

And then why is there much less bonus points coming with the card in Canada than in the USA? Maybe that’s because companies are not supposed to be fair.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by LearningToFly
And then why is there much less bonus points coming with the card in Canada than in the USA? Maybe that’s because companies are not supposed to be fair.
Hmm, US$100 Marriott spend on US Amex gets you 600 pts (6 pts/$). US$100 spend on Cdn card means C$133 + 3% forex fee = C$137 X 5 pts/$ = 685 pts!

On non Marriott spend, both cards get 2 pts/$, so US$100 would give 200 pts and C$137 would give 274 pts.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Hmm, US$100 Marriott spend on US Amex gets you 600 pts (6 pts/$). US$100 spend on Cdn card means C$133 + 3% forex fee = C$137 X 5 pts/$ = 685 pts!

On non Marriott spend, both cards get 2 pts/$, so US$100 would give 200 pts and C$137 would give 274 pts.
Right, thanks for the math, I'm not exactly good at it. But what I meant, though not very clear, is that the welcome bonus is 50000 points for the Canadian card, and much more for the US card.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 10:41 am

It has to do with fees. US credit card market is less regulated, so merchants pay higher percentage on fees. In Europe, I think there is a much lower cap on this. That's why there is very little reward credit card in Europe.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 12:14 pm

Take that one up with the European Commission.

With interchange capped at 0,3% on credit card transactions, all rewards programs on European credit cards are trash compared to what's on offer in the U.S. and other parts of the world.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 4:02 pm

As @fttc and @der_saeufer said, if you don't think it's fair OP, take it up with your government and vote for people who will make the credit card industry in Germany less restricted. Swipe fees in Europe are much lower than in America by law and because of that, credit cards are not nearly as profitable there.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by churning
As @fttc and @der_saeufer said, if you don't think it's fair OP, take it up with your government and vote for people who will make the credit card industry in Germany less restricted. Swipe fees in Europe are much lower than in America by law and because of that, credit cards are not nearly as profitable there.
That said, OP should possibly be careful what they wish for. A lot of stores in Europe started accepting cards (or at least Visa/MC) only after interchange was capped, after all.

OTOH, I'm not sure those would immediately go back to being cash only if said caps went away.

Last edited by tmiw; Aug 25, 2019 at 4:39 pm Reason: removed duplicate word
Old Aug 25, 2019, 4:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Welcome to FT, mfichtl1!

Originally Posted by mfichtl1
Why is there no Bonvoy credit card in Germany.
Simply put, Marriott is a U.S. company. Why is there no Lufthansa card in Canada?
Fizzer likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 4:39 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis

Still not worth the annual fee plus the forex fees.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Still not worth the annual fee plus the forex fees.
I don't know. I have 3 Bonbon cards.

Cdn SPG Amex
US SPG Amex

And I just got the Marriott Chase Visa for all those places in Asia that don't take the no forex fee US Amex. I figure the free night offsets the $95 annual fee. All those cards pay for themselves with the free night.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 5:22 pm

I don't know. I have 3 Bonbon cards.
I love bonbons, so if they actually had a Bonbon card, I'd take one. But if the choice is a Bonvoy card (particularly Amex), no thanks. If you find the value, that's great. I don't

I also think we're veering off topic.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 5:29 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Welcome to FT, mfichtl1!

Simply put, Marriott is a U.S. company. Why is there no Lufthansa card in Canada?
Not sure that's a particularly valid example. There are only a couple of flights that people in Canada can get on Lufthansa (from Canada). Meanwhile Germans travelling just in Europe have access to over 80,000 Marriott hotel rooms.

The answer is probably more that the German points credit card business is relatively under-developed and so while there are a handful of options, Marriott happens to not be one of them. Marriott's myopic focus on the US doesn't help, but it is not a "US hotel chain" other than in the sense of being HQ'd in the US. Notice that Hilton does offer a German credit card, despite being a smaller European hotel chain and being equally US based.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Not sure that's a particularly valid example. There are only a couple of flights that people in Canada can get on Lufthansa (from Canada). Meanwhile Germans travelling just in Europe have access to over 80,000 Marriott hotel rooms.

The answer is probably more that the German points credit card business is relatively under-developed and so while there are a handful of options, Marriott happens to not be one of them. Marriott's myopic focus on the US doesn't help, but it is not a "US hotel chain" other than in the sense of being HQ'd in the US. Notice that Hilton does offer a German credit card, despite being a smaller European hotel chain and being equally US based.

But does it offer the sort of rewards a US Hilton card does? Isnt THAT the crux of the matter?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.