Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Email Alert on Seat Duplication and reseating

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2019, 8:56 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold

Anyone ever seen this before, earlier this week I got the below email from Delta, about 4 hours before departure on ATL-PDX, in paid business class. Overall, moving from one aisle in first class to another is not a huge deal, just never seen this before in all my time flying delta.

Subject: SEAT DUPLICATION - CONFIRMATION XXXXXX

Dear Mr. ryandc99,

We wanted to let you know that unfortunately your seat assignment on
Flight X on August X has been changed due to a technical seat
duplication issue. We've done our best to give you a similar seat; your
new seat is 4B.

We know you have seat preferences and are really sorry we had to change
your seat. You're welcome to review your new seat assignment on
delta.com or the Fly Delta app where you can view your seat and select
from other available seat options.

Again, we apologize we weren't able to honor your original seat choice
and for any inconvenience this may cause. We're grateful for your
SkyMiles loyalty and look forward to seeing you on board again soon.

If you have any questions, please call us at 800-221-1212.

Sincerely,

Delta Air Lines

**This Is An Auto-Generated eMail. Do Not Reply To This eMail. You Will
Not Receive a Response**
Old Aug 25, 2019, 10:02 am

Probably a FAM?
Old Aug 25, 2019, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I got this as well, but for me it was 3-4 weeks in advance. Posted about it in the schedule change Saturday thread bc I originally thought it was related to that.

Mine was for ATL-AMS in D1 (paid with GUC). Got moved back one row from where I was originally (still a window seat so all good).

​​​​​
Old Aug 25, 2019, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by OHDL1
Probably a FAM?
FAM no longer sit in F.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: DL Skymiles DM, Hertz President Circle, Enterprise Platinum, IHG, BW Diamond Select, AA EXP
About 2 months ago, my paid first seat 5C was changed to 1D. I noticed it when I went to check in on the app...the night before I was still in 5C. At the time of check in there was only 1 other seat available and it was 1A...so not much better on a 321. I called the PM line and the agent could not do anything or offer up an explanation. Fortunately, I spoke with the red coat at the gate and asked if any F seats opened other than the bulkhead at the check-in cutoff, if I could get swapped. I was lucky enough to get 4A...so I took note of who was seating in 5C when after I boarded they had a DM brag tag. Do you think that a high-value 360 would be able to get another passenger moved?

It was not the end of the world to me, as long as I was able to move out of the bulkhead seat.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by hotshot265
About 2 months ago, my paid first seat 5C was changed to 1D. I noticed it when I went to check in on the app...the night before I was still in 5C. At the time of check in there was only 1 other seat available and it was 1A...so not much better on a 321. I called the PM line and the agent could not do anything or offer up an explanation. Fortunately, I spoke with the red coat at the gate and asked if any F seats opened other than the bulkhead at the check-in cutoff, if I could get swapped. I was lucky enough to get 4A...so I took note of who was seating in 5C when after I boarded they had a DM brag tag. Do you think that a high-value 360 would be able to get another passenger moved?

It was not the end of the world to me, as long as I was able to move out of the bulkhead seat.
No. However if the passenger next to him was disabled, he might be their assistant.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by flyerCO
No. However if the passenger next to him was disabled, he might be their assistant.
I thought pax with disabilities usually get assigned to the first row of the cabin? And if the issues was 2 a seats together for an assistant, why not 1B who already had an empty seat next to them - if the cabin was as full as OP describes, this means DL had to reseat both 5C and 5D to accommodate the pair.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by gooselee
I thought pax with disabilities usually get assigned to the first row of the cabin? And if the issues was 2 a seats together for an assistant, why not 1B who already had an empty seat next to them - if the cabin was as full as OP describes, this means DL had to reseat both 5C and 5D to accommodate the pair.
Not all disabilities need bulkhead. Ie if passenger is blind, he might require someone to assist him, but not a bulkhead. The law doesn't allow airline to determine seat for passenger, simply that passenger feels the seat accommodates their needs.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 12:06 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles DM, Hertz President Circle, Enterprise Platinum, IHG, BW Diamond Select, AA EXP
I didn't take a close look, but when we boarded and deplaned, nothing jumped out that 5D was getting assistance. But then again I didn't pay that close of attention. 5C was putting his backpack in the overhead when I was getting to my row and I don't think I noticed if 5D was there at the time or not.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not all disabilities need bulkhead. Ie if passenger is blind, he might require someone to assist him, but not a bulkhead. The law doesn't allow airline to determine seat for passenger, simply that passenger feels the seat accommodates their needs.
But the bulkhead is usually what the airline holds for pax with disabilities in order to avoid having to reseat part of the cabin.

And unless the pax and assistant (if that's even what it was) specifically needed a non-bulkhead, still doesn't answer why DL chose to disrupt two seat assignments instead of just one.

We probably will never know what actually happened. A much simpler explanation might be to take the email at face value - something in DL IT borked and they had to fix it. Another explanation offered in my case was they changed equipment on Sched Change Saturday and then changed back before everything had settled, and in doing so seat assignments were all jumbled.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by gooselee
But the bulkhead is usually what the airline holds for pax with disabilities in order to avoid having to reseat part of the cabin.

And unless the pax and assistant (if that's even what it was) specifically needed a non-bulkhead, still doesn't answer why DL chose to disrupt two seat assignments instead of just one.

We probably will never know what actually happened. A much simpler explanation might be to take the email at face value - something in DL IT borked and they had to fix it. Another explanation offered in my case was they changed equipment on Sched Change Saturday and then changed back before everything had settled, and in doing so seat assignments were all jumbled.
If passenger in 5D needs an assistant, then DL by law must place assistant in 5C. Only 5C appears tobe changed, not 5D. It can be IT also, just providing one alternative to the 360 had me moved theory.
gooselee likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 1:21 pm

Programs: DL PM, WN, SC, various other programs of lowly status
In all my many, many seat shuffles, I have never gotten email notifications. I babysit my seat assignments and many times I can move right back where I originally was.
WheelsUpGal and strickerj like this.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: United, Southwest
I have a trip planned for January - wondering what you mean by "babysitting" your seat assignments. Do you check once a week? Every day? I have a few months to go and obviously I guess it can change a few hours before you leave but I picked my seats for a reason. I don't fly Business Class very often so want to make the most of it (ie window seat in the middle of the cabin). Have your seats gotten shuffled a lot? Usually fly United and never had it happen. Might be switching to Delta - I love the fact that the connecting flights are in First when you fly Business .. . . thanks!
Old Aug 25, 2019, 6:00 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by ryandc99
Anyone ever seen this before, earlier this week I got the below email from Delta, about 4 hours before departure on ATL-PDX, in paid business class. Overall, moving from one aisle in first class to another is not a huge deal, just never seen this before in all my time flying delta.
Had the same thing happen to me and was shunted out of an aisle seat next to my wife to a bulkhead seat. I raised hell about this and Delta moved me back. The person now sitting in the bulkhead was a young missus now holding a lapdog instead of in its carrier.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 9:23 am

FAM no longer sit in F.
You sure? I think as long as they pay for the seat....they can sit anywhere they like.
strickerj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.