Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Converting amex mr points to avios to fly to barcelona in January

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2019, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Avios is currently giving a 40% bonus and Iberia has a nice sale on flights to Barcelona from NYC in January. I have 110000 amex mr and 120000 UR points currently.

Ideally, I want to transfer just enough mr points to get the round trip flight, but when I try to see how many points it will cost, it just says I don't have enough avios to complete the purchase(I have zero avios currently)

I am estimating I would need about 18k mr points to do this flight round trip(it's 109 dollars nonstop there, about 150 for the return) with the 40% avios bonus. Should I just convert like 15000 points now and if it says I need more, I can convert another 1000 points, and keep adding more points until it says I can make the purchase? Also, the nonstop 109 dollar flight that shows up on Iberia plus is actually an American airlines flight. I can still use avios for that flight correct?
Old Aug 24, 2019, 9:05 pm

When I login I get a quote of Avios points needed, even on a trip where I don't have enough. I suspect you need to have more than zero points, and then you'll get a quote, so just convert your first 1000, and you'll see how many you'll need.
masterthespian likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 10:16 pm

At the ridiculously low prices of flights in January (I see a non-stop NYC-BCN-NYC for $265 on Delta) it makes no sense to use Avios (you still have to pay over $100 each way in various fees). You would even get a better value by converting 1 MR to $ 0.01 on the AMEX travel website (not to mention UR, which gives a better exchange).
Old Aug 24, 2019, 10:27 pm
Original Poster

Good idea.

what day is the nonstop flight with delta?

Last edited by masterthespian; Aug 24, 2019 at 10:40 pm Reason: Asked what day for delta
Old Aug 24, 2019, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by masterthespian
Avios is currently giving a 40% bonus and Iberia has a nice sale on flights to Barcelona from NYC in January. I have 110000 amex mr and 120000 UR points currently.

Ideally, I want to transfer just enough mr points to get the round trip flight, but when I try to see how many points it will cost, it just says I don't have enough avios to complete the purchase(I have zero avios currently)

I am estimating I would need about 18k mr points to do this flight round trip(it's 109 dollars nonstop there, about 150 for the return) with the 40% avios bonus. Should I just convert like 15000 points now and if it says I need more, I can convert another 1000 points, and keep adding more points until it says I can make the purchase? Also, the nonstop 109 dollar flight that shows up on Iberia plus is actually an American airlines flight. I can still use avios for that flight correct?
Is the sale for cash fares or award flights with avios? For outright cash price at $109 - $150? (Mid winter is low season)
If the sale is for cash fares I would not automatically expect a sale with avios.
Just because a flight is for cash sale does not mean there is award availability.
An AA operated flight can be booked with avios, if there is award availability. Will be an AA flight number and not the IB codeshare flight number

https://www.iberia.com/us/iberiaplus/use-avios/
To me its showing NYC MAD (band 5) at 34,000 avios return, plus real taxes and possibly cash surcharges. (That may be incorrect) BCN may be different .

https://pointstobemade.boardingarea....-reward-chart/

Great Circle Mapper

https://upgradedpoints.com/best-ways...ia-plus-avios/

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Aug 24, 2019 at 10:40 pm
Old Aug 24, 2019, 10:44 pm
Original Poster

The flight I was looking at was for cash fares, direct flights from nyc to Barcelona on Iberia plus and back in the last week of January . I have zero avios points and was thinking of just buying the flight with ur points and chase sapphire reserve
Old Aug 24, 2019, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The flight I was looking at was for cash fares, direct flights from nyc to Barcelona on Iberia plus and back in the last week of January . I have zero avios points and was thinking of just buying the flight with ur points and chase sapphire reserve
So why the comment "Avios is currently giving a 40% bonus"?
Converting MR/UR to avios (with a 40% bonus) or using the credit card portals at $0.01 (or what ever rate).
Awards always have real taxes and can have carrier surcharges.

At ~$250 return that to me is a low price. Expect that is a basic fare without checked bags and possibly no seat allocation.
Link--->AA/BA/AY/IB Long Haul basic unbundled / HBO fares announced
Old Aug 24, 2019, 11:09 pm
Original Poster

Well yeah getting avios is definitely an option with the 40% bonus. But the flight is cheap enough in this case to just use ur points.

going business class to Madrid from nyc for 34000 avios round trip is solid if you do an overnight flight and want a seat that will recline all the way do you can get a full night of sleep.

however for a 7 hour flight during the day I’m fine with being in the basic cabin. Either way I’m glad to get out of nyc for a week in the middle of winter especially at rock bottom prices. 20000 ur points for a round trip nonstop flight to either Madrid or Barcelona is very solid.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
If you're going to be spending credit card points for 1 cent as travel reimbursement, shouldn't you just be getting a 2% cashback card?

With 250k+ credit card points, why fly Level (a LCC) to BCN instead of finding Business Class award space somewhere?
Old Aug 25, 2019, 8:06 am
Original Poster

I’m honestly not really sure what to do in this case that’s why I posted. I want to go to Barcelona in January in the off season.

i could save my points and just pay with cash with my Amex gold or chase reserve for about $250 round trip for direct flights in basic economy

i could use ur points for about 20000 points on the same flight

I could convert mr to avios with the 40% bonus they are offering, maybe get a biz class flight for 34000 avios on Iberia plus. (About 25000 mr points)

I am totally ok with flying basic economy on a 7 to 8 hour flight(like this one) Longer trips like 20-30 hours I’ll get biz class ticket to get a seat that reclines all the way to get decent sleep.

In this case its cheap enough either way that it’s almost not worth arguing about, I’ve never used avios and saw the sale(apparently targeted) and thought this would be a good time to convert the points but after talking to an Amex rep they said the sale only works on one transfer. If I were to do the biz class for 34000 points I’d just convert the 23000 mr points now.

bit it looks like biz class is sold out on all of the January Iberia flight from nyc to Barcelona? If I’m reading that right? Or is that just for paying with cash? I’ve never flown Iberia or used avios so I may be looking at this wrong?

Last edited by masterthespian; Aug 25, 2019 at 8:31 am
Old Aug 25, 2019, 7:45 pm

I’m honestly not really sure what to do in this case that’s why I posted. I want to go to Barcelona in January in the off season.

i could save my points and just pay with cash with my Amex gold or chase reserve for about $250 round trip for direct flights in basic economy

i could use ur points for about 20000 points on the same flight

I could convert mr to avios with the 40% bonus they are offering, maybe get a biz class flight for 34000 avios on Iberia plus. (About 25000 mr points)

I am totally ok with flying basic economy on a 7 to 8 hour flight(like this one) Longer trips like 20-30 hours I’ll get biz class ticket to get a seat that reclines all the way to get decent sleep.

In this case its cheap enough either way that it’s almost not worth arguing about, I’ve never used avios and saw the sale(apparently targeted) and thought this would be a good time to convert the points but after talking to an Amex rep they said the sale only works on one transfer. If I were to do the biz class for 34000 points I’d just convert the 23000 mr points now.

bit it looks like biz class is sold out on all of the January Iberia flight from nyc to Barcelona? If I’m reading that right? Or is that just for paying with cash? I’ve never flown Iberia or used avios so I may be looking at this wrong?
you can have the best of both worlds. I agree with the others on the thread who suggest you just pay for the ticket with cash considering the low fare and you being ok with flyng economy for 7-8 hours. I would encourage you to take advantage of the 40% bonus offer and maybe use those points for a future trip. I took advantage of the bonus this weekend; the mile transfer from MR to Avios came in about 30 seconds. However, beware when booking a ticket, especially if its business class - you will get hit with surcharges and you will have to pay to select your seat which I think is the most ridiculous and frivolous thing ever. I booked one way BCN to Washington DC for Summer 2020; the fuel surcharge (on British) was $270 and to select a biz class seat - they wanted $125+
masterthespian likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.