Search

Choice Benefits - All GCUs?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2019, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS, DL
Choice Benefits - All GCUs?

Hello,
If I make Diamond this year towards 2020 status, can I select Global Certificate Upgrades for all 3 choice benefits, netting me 12 one-way certs? Or is 4 the maximum per medallion year?

Thanks
Old Aug 24, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA Gold
You can only choose upgrades once, so 4 GUCs max per year.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS, DL
Originally Posted by CaptainEasychord
You can only choose upgrades once, so 4 GUCs max per year.
Dang it. Thanks. It sounded too good to be true.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 5:27 pm

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
Originally Posted by koopas
Dang it. Thanks. It sounded too good to be true.
Agreed!

What you get to pick:
- Platinum Choice Benefits when you hit PM (one selection)
- Diamond CBs when you hit DM (3 selections)
-- The Certs are available as:
--- 4 Global OR
--- 8 Regional OR
--- 2 Global AND 4 Regional
Old Aug 24, 2019, 7:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by BHammy
Agreed!

What you get to pick:
- Platinum Choice Benefits when you hit PM (one selection)
- Diamond CBs when you hit DM (3 selections)
-- The Certs are available as:
--- 4 Global OR
--- 8 Regional OR
--- 2 Global AND 4 Regional
These are the DM choice benefit. The PM choice benefit is four RUCs. So in total a DM could every year choose the following if they pick upgrade certs for both the PM and DM choices:

12 RUCs

4 GUCs and 4 RUCs

2 GUCs and 8 RUCs.

The last combination is possible only because DL changed the DM rules to allow one to pick fewer GUCs and get some RUCs as a DM choice.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 11:25 pm

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
These are the DM choice benefit. The PM choice benefit is four RUCs. So in total a DM could every year choose the following if they pick upgrade certs for both the PM and DM choices:

12 RUCs

4 GUCs and 4 RUCs

2 GUCs and 8 RUCs.

The last combination is possible only because DL changed the DM rules to allow one to pick fewer GUCs and get some RUCs as a DM choice.

Correct - that's why I listed them under the DM selection list (I didn't put down that OP had to select 4x RUCs as PM selection - as there are other options, I only highlighted the GUC options that only are available as DM)
Old Aug 26, 2019, 2:53 am

What do most people pick? Seems like the 4 GUCs are the way to go, but as someone who flies LAX-JFK a lot, and am pretty flexible with travel times, the 2/4 might be the way to go?
Old Aug 26, 2019, 2:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by USCTrojan83
What do most people pick? Seems like the 4 GUCs are the way to go, but as someone who flies LAX-JFK a lot, and am pretty flexible with travel times, the 2/4 might be the way to go?
Perhaps, but keep in mind that GUCs beat RUCs.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by WWads

Perhaps, but keep in mind that GUCs beat RUCs.
Is this new? As of recent, they were the same priority.

I usually choose all RUCs.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 8:42 am

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by USCTrojan83
Unless you're super flexible with your international travel, GUC's can be a waste. In the last 3 years I've had a few expire worthless because they waitlisted on flights and it was full. Of course, all depends on the route/day. Maybe I'm just unlucky
Old Aug 26, 2019, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by El Boocho

Is this new? As of recent, they were the same priority.

I usually choose all RUCs.
I don't think there's ever been anything officially published that says anything either way on this
gooselee likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by bretthexum
Unless you're super flexible with your international travel, GUC's can be a waste. In the last 3 years I've had a few expire worthless because they waitlisted on flights and it was full. Of course, all depends on the route/day. Maybe I'm just unlucky
This is another one of those route/timing things. After several years at PM I was quite disillusioned with RUCs - having many expire or just tossing them right before expiration at sub-2 hour flights because they hadn't cleared before.

Since making DM, I've been pleasantly surprised at the usability of GUCs. All of mine have cleared at booking for TATL trips on the exact dates I wanted. Granted, I do have some minor flexibility for my int'l travel in terms of what time/route I want to fly, but I have never had to change the day of departure/arrival or take some crazy ridiculous routing to use a GUC. Usually if there's no space on any of the nonstop flights, I can find something at comparable times by adding JFK, CDG, or AMS as a quick connection point.

Here's the master thread if OP wants to reference success/failure reports: The Official - GLOBAL UPGRADE CERT success thread - Yay! I got it!
Old Aug 26, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by gooselee
This is another one of those route/timing things. After several years at PM I was quite disillusioned with RUCs - having many expire or just tossing them right before expiration at sub-2 hour flights because they hadn't cleared before.

Since making DM, I've been pleasantly surprised at the usability of GUCs. All of mine have cleared at booking for TATL trips on the exact dates I wanted. Granted, I do have some minor flexibility for my int'l travel in terms of what time/route I want to fly, but I have never had to change the day of departure/arrival or take some crazy ridiculous routing to use a GUC. Usually if there's no space on any of the nonstop flights, I can find something at comparable times by adding JFK, CDG, or AMS as a quick connection point.

Here's the master thread if OP wants to reference success/failure reports: The Official - GLOBAL UPGRADE CERT success thread - Yay! I got it!
Flexibility is key. If you're flying purely business schedules, of course certs are going to be hard to use. My schedule is less traditional, so I generally have a lot of luck. Heck, I even recently cleared a mileage upgrade on DTW-ICN at booking.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by WWads
Flexibility is key. If you're flying purely business schedules, of course certs are going to be hard to use. My schedule is less traditional, so I generally have a lot of luck. Heck, I even recently cleared a mileage upgrade on DTW-ICN at booking.
All my TATL this year has been for business. Out Sunday/Monday, back Thursday/Friday/Saturday.

Point is - *some* flexibility is needed but IME GUCs have been far more usable than RUCs.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 2:03 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
Is there a way to check GUC availability before you select your Diamond benefits? I won't want to select GUCs unless I know there are dates when I can make them work for a specific trip I have in mind.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.