Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Extra Luggage on AC

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2019, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

Extra Luggage on AC

Hi,
I'm taking a flight from YYC to CMB (Colombo) this Thursday. I will be flying Air Canada from Calgary to Narita, Japan on an Air Canada flight and then Flying Sri Lankan Airlines to Colombo from Narita after a 20 hour layover.
Air Canada allows you to bring two free checked in bags, but I will be paying $225 for a third checked in bag.
My question is, will I have to pay the $225 again when I check in for the second leg of the journey in Narita ? Have been calling Air Canada and none of the CSRs I spoke to can give me a straight answer. Please help.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 1:59 am

Programs: AC SE 100K
If you're on one ticket and they tag it through then I would expect only one charge. It's a bit complicated but since there is really no chance you will have to pick up and pay again it will likely only be charged at checkin.

I would expect IATA rule 302 will apply and the Air Canada excess fee will apply the whole way - - . But - on the return - it may be applied exactly in the opposite with the excess charged based on UL fees.

Good luck on this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 7:43 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
If your bags are tagged through to CMB, it should just be one fee, as long as you don’t pick them up. Even though you might need to check in again, as long as your BAGS go through, it should be one fee. Good luck!
Old Aug 24, 2019, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyztozag
If your bags are tagged through to CMB, it should just be one fee, as long as you don’t pick them up. Even though you might need to check in again, as long as your BAGS go through, it should be one fee. Good luck!
With a 20 hours connection, i.e. overnight, I doubt they would check through.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 10:08 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Stranger
I've had AC do it on an AC-AC-A3-(20h)-OA ticket and AC accept the bags on the return, though I needed to keep the tags
Old Aug 24, 2019, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pewpew
I've had AC do it on an AC-AC-A3-(20h)-OA ticket and AC accept the bags on the return, though I needed to keep the tags
That was your lucky day...
Old Aug 24, 2019, 12:48 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
Originally Posted by Stranger
The rule for *A, other than exceptions, is 24h limit, even if it’s separate tix. Sometimes they can even check bags onto non *A, but that’s an exception not the norm. So unless some weird exception is in place, it would definitely be fine. I’ve checked bags through overnight on *A, as recently as last month through LHR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.