Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MR Travel portal Vs Chase Travel Portal??

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2019, 11:49 am
Original Poster

MR Travel portal Vs Chase Travel Portal??

How do these compare?

Does AMEX not show all the flights?

I recently made reservations using both. Chase gave me lowest fare that I was able to find. But AMEX did not + a small cash fee. Overall I paid 30% more.

You can also use Expedia and use MR points - so there are many ways here.

Any tips on using these?

Last edited by sciconf; Aug 23, 2019 at 6:00 pm
Old Aug 23, 2019, 3:36 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Well for starters, the value of an MR on Amextravel is $0.01 unless you have a business platinum or centurion card (where it is still $0.01 each but you get 35% or 50% back after booking). Depending on your Chase card, a UR point is worth as much as $0.015 each.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gig103
Well for starters, the value of an MR on Amextravel is $0.01 unless you have a business platinum or centurion card (where it is still $0.01 each but you get 35% or 50% back after booking). Depending on your Chase card, a UR point is worth as much as $0.015 each.
Thanks but I am matching $ to $
I saw $70 fare on Priceline or somewhere - but lowest price on MR Travel was different airline for $100 - not all airlines are available on MR Travel?

For Chase, whatever I found online, I bought it for the same $ amount on Chase.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 4:33 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Are you looking to pay cash or use points? What I"m saying is that I could see Chase advertising $100 as 7000 UR points if you have a Sapphire Reserve. That sounds like $70 but isn't the same thing.

But apples-to-apples, I can tell you that for hotels anyway, AmexTravel.com doesn't always match Expedia or Orbitz. But I almost always book flights direct with the airlines these days because I'm tired of online travel agencies (OTAs) only advertising basic economy until the last page, so i don't have experience with that side of the business.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Are you looking to pay cash or use points? What I"m saying is that I could see Chase advertising $100 as 7000 UR points if you have a Sapphire Reserve. That sounds like $70 but isn't the same thing.
That would be a step after finding the price.

When I search it gives me prices. Only when I purchase, it will show me options. Hopes this makes sense. So I am comparing $ to $ (fare on priceline for the same exact flight or carrier web site)

Last edited by sciconf; Aug 23, 2019 at 4:56 pm
Old Aug 23, 2019, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by sciconf
That would be a step after finding the price.

When I search it gives me prices. Only when I purchase, it will show me options. Hopes this makes sense. So I am comparing $ to $ (fare on priceline for the same exact flight or carrier web site)
It does make sense now I just wanted to be sure for the post. And yeah, I do believe inventory can vary with each travel agency. For example I once booked with Expedia which sold me a mixed fare on AA (N out, T back) when other sites wanted me to buy N both ways (higher fare). But with hotels, I've seen Amex charging more in "like for like" rooms (prepaid, breakfast, same bed configuration). Maybe enough of their loyal customers aren't price sensitive?
Old Aug 23, 2019, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

It does make sense now I just wanted to be sure for the post.
- I was booking one way fare
- Don't they both (MR & Chase) use Expedia now?
Old Aug 23, 2019, 6:47 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Chase Travel is operated by Expedia
Amex Travel (USA) is operated by Orbitz (owned by Expedia).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.