Wiki Posts
Search

Multi-city ticketing BOS-DFW-LAX

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2019, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat, 6.0 MM, Marriott LT Platinum
Multi-city ticketing BOS-DFW-LAX

Hi all...I'm trying to ticket BOS-DFW-LAX on December 1, ideally flights 2548 and 2318. I see lots of options for $352 in coach and $813 in first, but the website won't ticket them, it says "the flight or fare...is no longer available".

Any thoughts about what is going on?
Old Aug 21, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Exp, IHG Plat, National EE, Sixt Plat
If you're trying to force this through a multi-city search because the fare is cheaper than just searching BOS-LAX one way, the error message you're getting is because of married segment fare rules. You could try searching on Google flights or ITA using the ITA-Matrix-Powertools plugin, but expect to see the same error message on the step after entering passenger details.

I just spent a few days last week trying to do the same thing with no luck.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
The cost of your proposed itinerary is $617. You might be able to see some cheaper fares listed on the website by doing a multi-city search, but they aren't going to ticket - they're invalid.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat, 6.0 MM, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by sjpmurph01
If you're trying to force this through a multi-city search because the fare is cheaper than just searching BOS-LAX one way, the error message you're getting is because of married segment fare rules. You could try searching on Google flights or ITA using the ITA-Matrix-Powertools plugin, but expect to see the same error message on the step after entering passenger details.

I just spent a few days last week trying to do the same thing with no luck.
Thanks, I was just trying to force a stop at DFW because we like to get off the plane and walk around about 1/2 way.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 10:03 am
BJM

Programs: UA
Is Nov. 30 or Dec 2 an option for you? There are some fares for a little less than flying Sunday Dec 1.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Delta GM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz President's Circle
One other option is to book as two one ways (since that is likely the fare construction used by the multi-city search).

Unlike many carriers, AA will protect you in the case of IRROPS, even across separate tickets.

Be aware if you do this that you are deliberately circumventing AA's fare rules, which could (in theory) lead to flight cancellation or other penalties.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 10:59 am
BJM

Programs: UA
Will AA allow TCI of baggage? Assuming OP is checking baggage.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by siankaan1
Thanks, I was just trying to force a stop at DFW because we like to get off the plane and walk around about 1/2 way.
Yea, when searching multi-city on aa.com or Google Flights, the search engines will sometimes see lower fare buckets on the individual segments but when you combine these in the end they cannot be booked at that fare. As mentioned above if you want those specific flights then the real fare looks to be $617.

Originally Posted by dantheflyingman
Be aware if you do this that you are deliberately circumventing AA's fare rules, which could (in theory) lead to flight cancellation or other penalties.
This is not true at all, there is nothing "against the rules" about positioning to a different city on a different ticket to take advantage of a cheaper fare. If BOS-DFW + DFW-LAX can be booked as 2 one-ways for cheaper than the combined BOS-DFW-LAX fare, then I would book it that way 10 times out of 10 (and IME if it was cheaper then aa.com would automatically price it that way combining the one way fares).
Ldnn1 likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by dantheflyingman
One other option is to book as two one ways (since that is likely the fare construction used by the multi-city search).
I don't think this is what is occurring. I think it is seeing, say, N class availability on both flights, then returning the N class fare from BOS-LAX. Only when you go to book it does it do the married segment check and see that there is not actually N class availability for BOS-DFW-LAX.

If it's truly two one-ways, have at it.
JJeffrey likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Depending on how far out the flight is you can keep trying each day or try a different combo of flight times. I’ve had it trigger a few times when prior days gave the same message.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by BJM
Will AA allow TCI of baggage? Assuming OP is checking baggage.
No. They will not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.