Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Help me understand the GU and RU certificates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2019, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

I'm trying to better understand DL's elite program especially PM and DM status. I know that DM gives both GUCs and RUCs, but what are the differences? I'm assuming RUCs are for domestic flights but GUCs are for international flights? How do these certificates work? Like I can buy the cheapest qualifying main cabin fare especially flying DL metal to PVG and then get upgraded to J if it's available? Is that how it works?

I know that I'll have to call to apply a GUC and obviously I wouldn't want a GUC to be applied for a 1 hour flight segment instead of the 12 hour flight. My question is if availability isn't available on the long haul, but only available for the short haul, can I instruct DL not to apply the GUC altogether because it does seem like a waste and won't extract much value for me.

I know with some of DL's other partners, it requires an expensive fare before a GUC can be used. What about a carrier like MU or KE? Decent chances of getting upgraded with the cheapest main cabin fare?

If it helps, I do have a Delta Reserve card.

Thx!
Old Aug 20, 2019, 4:24 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by lsquare
I'm trying to better understand DL's elite program especially PM and DM status. I know that DM gives both GUCs and RUCs, but what are the differences? I'm assuming RUCs are for domestic flights but GUCs are for international flights? How do these certificates work? Like I can buy the cheapest qualifying main cabin fare especially flying DL metal to PVG and then get upgraded to J if it's available? Is that how it works?

I know that I'll have to call to apply a GUC and obviously I wouldn't want a GUC to be applied for a 1 hour flight segment instead of the 12 hour flight. My question is if availability isn't available on the long haul, but only available for the short haul, can I instruct DL not to apply the GUC altogether because it does seem like a waste and won't extract much value for me.

I know with some of DL's other partners, it requires an expensive fare before a GUC can be used. What about a carrier like MU or KE? Decent chances of getting upgraded with the cheapest main cabin fare?

Thx!
Read through this link and then circle back if you still have questions...

https://www.delta.com/en_US/skymiles/medallion-program

OPS
Old Aug 20, 2019, 4:34 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum; Marriott Platinum; Hertz PC

Thx!
Regionals can be used on US Domestic and a few other routes between the US and Central America (it's in the link above).

Globals can be used on basically any Delta ticket (including domestically... but that's a huge waste of a Global cert... but if that cert is about to expire, then why not).

When using certs it matters if there is inventory available. If yes, then you can confirm the upgrade right away. If not, you have to be waitlisted. If you're waitlisted, then your upgrade will clear automatically if inventory becomes available. You can ask to be waitlisted for only a specific segment (as in your example, you'd ask to be waitlisted specifically for the 12 hour flight). If your upgrade clears for the long flight, then you call back in and get added to the waitlist for all the other flights (just to better your odds for a gate upgrade).

Things get complicated when you're trying to get the global upgrades to apply on codeshare flights for partner airlines (KLM, Air France, etc.). Then you need to be in specific fare buckets (although even the cheaper buckets are eligible now). But, you can't "waitlist" per se. If inventory isn't available you have to keep calling back to check for upgrade inventory. I'm not sure how globals work on partner airlines for gate clearing.

I probably didn't get all you questions here... but hopefully is helpful.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OtherDave
Regionals can be used on US Domestic and a few other routes between the US and Central America (it's in the link above).

Globals can be used on basically any Delta ticket (including domestically... but that's a huge waste of a Global cert... but if that cert is about to expire, then why not).

When using certs it matters if there is inventory available. If yes, then you can confirm the upgrade right away. If not, you have to be waitlisted. If you're waitlisted, then your upgrade will clear automatically if inventory becomes available. You can ask to be waitlisted for only a specific segment (as in your example, you'd ask to be waitlisted specifically for the 12 hour flight). If your upgrade clears for the long flight, then you call back in and get added to the waitlist for all the other flights (just to better your odds for a gate upgrade).

Things get complicated when you're trying to get the global upgrades to apply on codeshare flights for partner airlines (KLM, Air France, etc.). Then you need to be in specific fare buckets (although even the cheaper buckets are eligible now). But, you can't "waitlist" per se. If inventory isn't available you have to keep calling back to check for upgrade inventory. I'm not sure how globals work on partner airlines for gate clearing.

I probably didn't get all you questions here... but hopefully is helpful.
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. It sounds like I have to invest a lot of time on the phone even after I'm on the waitlist? I'll also have to constantly check the app to see if the upgrade clears? If it doesn't clear for the 12 hour flight, but it's available for the 1 hour flight, then what?
Old Aug 20, 2019, 5:01 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
If it doesn't clear for the 12 hour flight, but it's available for the 1 hour flight, then what?
You choose whether you're willing to blow the certificate just for the 1-hour flight, or you don't use the cert on that itinerary.

There's a ton of good info and tips accumulated over the years in the respective GUC and RUC threads:

The Official - GLOBAL UPGRADE CERT success thread - Yay! I got it!

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...-upgrades.html

that plus the DL site about certificates would be research time well spent

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...l/#certificate
Old Aug 20, 2019, 5:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. It sounds like I have to invest a lot of time on the phone even after I'm on the waitlist? I'll also have to constantly check the app to see if the upgrade clears? If it doesn't clear for the 12 hour flight, but it's available for the 1 hour flight, then what?
Then you just hope to get a free elite upgrade as a DM on the short domestic connecting flight and try to use the GUC for another trip before it expires.

In principle, if the flights are operated by DL, waitlist clearing will be automatic if/when upgrade inventory becomes available, but I always like to call a couple times to have another agent check that the upgrade request using the GUC was done correctly.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 5:10 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
I've only used GUCs for Europe, but I have had 100% success with them so far - all clearing at booking, except one at gate.

So this post only refers to my experience w/ Europe (ignore completely if you are trying to get to JNB/SYD).

A lot depends on the route you want to fly and what kind of flexibility you have. For example, if you are in ATL and only want direct flights, that'll be tougher. I am in Milwaukee, so I can connect through MSP/DTW/ATL (and do the LGA-->JFK free transfer).

Before I call in, I create a spreadsheet (anal that way) of all the one-stop combos from my origin to destination. Including current # of D1 seats available, etc. And then I sort by ... well, preference, but it could be connecting city, aircraft type, times (prefer later departures), etc.

For some destinations I may only have one or two options. For CDG/LHR there are usually like a dozen for a given day.

So I start feeding the agent my preferences, and typically I only have to get to the 2nd or 3rd one before they find availability.

Your mileage may vary, but I think I've used 16 or so GUCs, and only had to change a date one time to get it to work.

N.B. Haven't used one in about a year, things may have changed.
lsquare and btonkid12345 like this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 5:22 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
If I were flexible about when and where I flew, the first thing I would try would be to find a booking that I wanted that would clear immediately and then book it. I've had GUCs clear at booking for SEA-CDG and for SEA-PEK. These things don't always get waitlisted.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
If I were flexible about when and where I flew, the first thing I would try would be to find a booking that I wanted that would clear immediately and then book it. I've had GUCs clear at booking for SEA-CDG and for SEA-PEK. These things don't always get waitlisted.
Is it possible to check online whether a booking would clear immediately online or I'll have to call in to ask? The routes that you listed are also routes that I'm interested in.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 6:02 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Is it possible to check online whether a booking would clear immediately online or I'll have to call in to ask? The routes that you listed are also routes that I'm interested in.
There is no way for DL customers to check for certificate upgrade inventory. You have to ask a phone or Twitter agent. And again, this question and others about usage etc are already answered in the two threads I linked to above and their wikis, so it would probably be worth your time to check them out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.