Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Kid behavior onboard – how would you have dealt with it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kid behavior onboard – how would you have dealt with it?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Talking Kid behavior onboard – how would you have dealt with it?

On a quite recent CE flight back to LHR….

Family of 6 sitting as follows: Mum (1A), Dad (1C), Kid n1 (2A), Kid n2 (2C), Kid n3 (2D) Kid n4 (2F).
If I were one of the parents I would have preferred to sit in 2A/C together with my partner to get a better overview of the 4 kids (side-wise and in front). I was sitting in 1F.

I was the last boarding and before I sat down I saw Kid n4 sitting behind me without shoes and with both his feet on both my armrests.
Quite smelly feet to be honest, it was a hot day in Italy and I’m not sure for how long the kid had been walking. During the flight his feet touch my elbows / arms several times.

Parents were enjoying their iPads and drinking booze all time, no kind of interaction whatsoever with the kids, all kids had their own iPad too (I recon the age ranged between 6 and 10). In the lounge, kids were playing and entertaining themselves with food – wasting most of it and throwing it in the bins straight away – again parents didn’t say a word.

What would you have done to fix the smelly and "touching" feet situation?

a) Live with it
b) Reach out to the smelly kid
c) Reach out to the busy parents
d) Reach out to professional cabin crew

Looking forward to hearing your point of view
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH
Originally Posted by 81romeo

Family of 6 sitting as follows: Mum (1A), Dad (1C), Kid n1 (2A), Kid n2 (2C), Kid n3 (2D) Kid n4 (2F).
If I were one of the parents I would have preferred to sit in 2A/C together with my partner to get a better overview of the 4 kids (side-wise and in front). I was sitting in 1F.

I was the last boarding and before I sat down I saw Kid n4 sitting behind me without shoes and with both his feet on both my armrests.
Quite smelly feet to be honest, it was a hot day in Italy and I’m not sure for how long the kid had been walking. During the flight his feet touch my elbows / arms several times.

Parents were enjoying their iPads and drinking booze all time, no kind of interaction whatsoever with the kids, all kids had their own iPad too (I recon the age ranged between 6 and 10). In the lounge, kids were playing and entertaining themselves with food – wasting most of it and throwing it in the bins straight away – again parents didn’t say a word.

a) Live with it

From what you describe I wouldn't even waste your time with the parents.
I have two kids (which is easier), but my spouse and I will never sit together, we sit next to one of the kids.
In this circumstance, I feel that the crew should be reaching out to you, as opposed to you having to reach out to them.
I would have thought that they see this frequently and therefore should react accordingly rather than you having to have any confrontation with the parents.
strickerj and FEasy like this.

Last edited by Prospero; Aug 20, 2019 at 2:41 pm Reason: Unite quote and response into single post
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:49 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
With a huge grin I’d have poured a full glass of coke and ice over the head of the smelly child, after stabbing his foot with a pen prior, of course
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Id have just used my elbows to point out to the child what the armrests are for
awayIgo and Too much travel like this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
e) accidentally spill coffee... on both n4 feet.
NoY, dylanks, RoyalSwazi and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:53 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
I wouldn't "reach out" at all unless I was in the Four Tops but if it was bothering me I'd have a quiet word with the cabin crew.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by 81romeo

a) Live with it

Parents I guess.... I travel with 4 kids and have to strike a balance between accepting they're kids and the standards I expect from them as someone who travels a lot. You can't watch them all, 100% of the time.... However reading your description you'd probably have been wasting your time tbh
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Tell him your mate Busta is on his way..?
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:01 am

Programs: BA S, AA G(1MM), Hilton D
How about raising the arm rest, or both if the release button was there
dddc, redrose59 and jerseytom like this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Little point engaging with the parents when they are clearly disinterested - speak to the cabin crew.

One of the problems here is that I've no doubt the parents in this case would become instantly defensive if the behaviour of their kids was pointed out by a fellow passenger. Maybe they would react differently (perhaps out of embarrassment) if the crew have a word.

Kids won't always behave and that's nature, but there is no excuse for inactive parenting. It can be very annoying for sure but as long as the parents are trying it's understandable.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, IHG Priority Club Platinum, SPG, Tufty Club
I'd have politely just asked the kid to take his feet of my armrest. That's always worked for me in similar situations. I'd only get the crew involved if the parents took umbrage.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Some parents will have the courtesy to position a little seat kicker behind one of themselves so that other passengers aren't disturbed, also having at least two of the kids sitting behind them might have been a considerate move.
FoxtrotOscar likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Oaxaca
Tell him your mate Busta is on his way..?
Not relevant and not funny at all, in my opinion.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
The level of passive aggressiveness on this board always astonishes me...

What about a "Would you mind not putting your feet on my armrests?"

I'm sure that works. Also teaches the kids a thing or two about how their behaviour affects other people.

Afterwards, thank them for removing their feet - reinforces positive behaviour.
SK, swise, bruceba and 19 others like this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by Englishlee0710
I'd have politely just asked the kid to take his feet of my armrest. That's always worked for me in similar situations. I'd only get the crew involved if the parents took umbrage.
Exactly this. Children tend to be pretty straight forward (well at least if they're not your own!) and often unaware of the results of their own actions.
mrow, nancypants and FEasy like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.